wind generator

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

wind generator

Postby ranger magnum » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:25 pm

Has anyone built a wind generator? I was thinking of using an alternator as the power source, but they need to spin around 3-4k rpm to be useful.

Ideas?
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Re: wind generator

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:36 pm

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby EspressoDude » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:44 pm

A lot depends on the alternator. Delco 1117140 puts out 40 amps at 1100rpm, 126@2500; 1100741 36amps @800rpm. Do some looking around on internet or an auto electric shop, because alternators come in all ratings depending on applications. Police cars and taxis need lots of amp at idle so are built different ( wye vs delta winding, etc.). Also the field winding will take 2-4 amps of the output.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby Tiahaar » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:25 pm

Agree with EspressoDude, depends on the alternator. I have a turbine but it uses a PMA, permanent magnet alternator, that I got from this place ...works very well. they have blade kits too. I used to use a big DC motor but like the PMA better.
Burning Man 2003-13; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage Tech
RING THE COCK Caravansy Peenerweight Boutique
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:03 pm

Tiahaar wrote:Agree with EspressoDude, depends on the alternator. I have a turbine but it uses a PMA, permanent magnet alternator, that I got from this place ...works very well. they have blade kits too. I used to use a big DC motor but like the PMA better.

Cool stuff there Tiahaar!!!
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Trishntek » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:33 pm

Windy Nation is right here in Ventura and they build their PMA's for marine use. In other words, they are sealed 3 phase alternators. If they can survive ocean mist, I think the playa should be a breeze. The entire turbine is stainless steel and aluminum. I'll be bringing mine to the playa this year for the first time. I plugged it into my solar array for a hybrid system. Hopefully I'll be charging my batteries day AND night this year!

I use it here at defaultia and it charges 100 watts in a 7MPH wind. http://www.windynation.com/products/wind/generators-and-pmas/rover-marine-wind-turbine-kit is the one I have.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby ranger magnum » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:37 am

Im just north of you trishntek, so I will check them out.

I figured id have about a $500 build cost anyway, so I might as well buy one that is tested and purpose built.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby Tiahaar » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:38 pm

How did you guys' wind turbines do? I never got around to putting mine up this year. It has one unfortunate characteristic...being mounted directly through the bus roof and with the mast bolted to the floor, mine transmits generator hum all through the rig and I haven't had much luck dampening it. May try some rubber isolation pads or somesuch next.
Burning Man 2003-13; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage Tech
RING THE COCK Caravansy Peenerweight Boutique
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby Elliot » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:30 am

This year I used construction scaffolding to support my shade tarp, and now I'm thinking such scaffolding could be used to support other Stuff. I put the legs on pads of plywood to keep them from sinking, and I drove sturdy anchors in the ground, with ratchet straps, to keep it all in place. Seemed quite sturdy.

Typically, one unit of scaffolding measures 5 feet by 7 feet, or by 10 feet, and 5 feet tall. These units stack on top of each other, and they can be tied together into larger assemblies pretty much any way you want.
:D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Trishntek » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:21 am

WindyNationSM.jpg

We had three sufficiently windy days/nights that provided more power than we used. On average, we were consuming 300 Watts per hour for twelve hours each day. Between the solar and wind charging the 5kW bank of batteries and a second solar array that serviced individual camper's needs, we ran our gas generator 3-5 hours per day.

We had two 1200 watt coffee makers which required generator time to operate in the morning anyway. We also found out the Sawsall is 1200 watts. My inverter is only 1000 watts on the battery bank.

Overall, I was very pleased with the performance of the setup. Our wind tower was a combination of tethers to anchors plus a steel pipe frame which also supported the solar panels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trishntek

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:43 am

Thanks for the wind generator information. Do we have a BRC weather station that gathers wind speed, temperature, humidity, insolation, even visibility on a minute by minute basis?
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Trishntek » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:50 am

some seeing eye wrote:Thanks for the wind generator information. Do we have a BRC weather station that gathers wind speed, temperature, humidity, insolation, even visibility on a minute by minute basis?

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.88652440805989&lon=-119.05746459960938&site=rev&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text
Trishntek

Postby Bob » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:50 am

Not sure I'd want to hang a wind plant on a scaffold. People climb them and do stupid and/or larcenous things. Pole stood off from a corner, maybe, but wouldn't you want it pretty well-insulated from your dwelling space?

I used a ring of scaffold for the '98 Cafe. Near-disaster, because I was forced into renting them from a shady outfit out of Reno that delivered a pile of mismatched bent-up frames, so the entire structure ended up six feet shorter than we planned. Pinned the scaffold by wrapping w/ wire to t-stakes, and stretched road cloth over the top tied off to recycled elevator wire rope anchored to ground augers. Got her done with a lot of help, only cost a few hundred dollars in materials, then we got bitched out by the priss-pot cafe manager who showed up days later. Did have the satisfaction of helping guide the 2000 Cafe design along the same general template, but with more manageable materials. Plus, it has an Oculus.

A lot of stuff in '96 was scaffold. The Helco office tower was 6-tier scaffold hung with painted panels, and the Cafe was another tall scaffold tower draped with a couple of ratty cargo parachutes.

Just rambling.... I dislike scaffold for camp use, but I managed to accumulate a bunch of 1-1/2" pipe and scaffold clamps over the years since '96 that work like Tinkertoys.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Bob » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:56 am

Think the year-round weather info is from a consumer-grade weather station hung up on or near the Gerlach office, and maintained by the IT people. They'd had the equipment since about 1999, I believe.

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/event_survival/live_weather.html
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby mshaman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:48 pm

A car alternator is the first thing that all of us try on the journey to wind power, and it is usually a short stop, because a car alternator wants higher RPMs than you're likely to sustain for any length of time. A low-speed, high voltage motor out of an old tape drive is about the best thing you'll find off the shelf. I had a friend give me a pair of 36vdc motors from a tape drive, but you can also get them on ebay for about $30 last time I checked. The best solution of course, is to wind your own 3-phase alternator like Hugh Piggott suggests. He's something of an icon in wind power, and I'd read his site from top to bottom if you're genuinely interested in extracting usable power and not just having a science project: http://www.scoraigwind.com/

Here is a site that's got a somewhat less efficient, but very buildable setup. http://www.mdpub.com/Wind_Turbine/

VAWT performs better with low wind speeds and changes in direction, HAWT is easier to get high enough off the ground that you don't have to worry about low wind speeds and changes in direction. The most efficient production systems are all HAWT, because the relative ease of lifting them high.

It seems like this issue, EL-wire, and generators (including boxing them) are common enough topics that we should just put some guides together to keep everyone from having to reinvent the wheel. I put together an RV guide a while back and got it sticky-ed. Perhaps its time one of us does the same for wind power and generator power.
The road of life is littered with flat squirrels who couldn't decide.
mshaman

Postby MikeGyver » Fri May 10, 2013 9:13 pm

I know this thread is a couple months old but I don't see the point in starting a new one for the same topic. I plan to make a cooler stereo for around camp and am trying to figure out the best way to recharge the battery. I have a PM motor out of a scooter (MY1016) and have come down to either a bike powered generator or a wind generator. I've found online that these work fair enough for generating power and I will have to get an inverter to drop it down to 12v instead of the 24v. Any suggestions on a method? If I went with wind powered I would have to buy two battery's so one would charge while the other is being used but I think with the bike I could set it up to charge it in the set up. Completely open to other ideas, just need to figure out recharging the battery before I take the time and money to build the stereo.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 10, 2013 9:55 pm

Mrpatatomoto wrote:I know this thread is a couple months old but I don't see the point in starting a new one for the same topic.

Bless you.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby EspressoDude » Sat May 11, 2013 9:54 am

I have built a bike powered generator where the rear wheel rides on an alternator pulley. Great for losing weight and building quads(if you can get enough electrolytes)

As a wild guess the scooter motor is about 1/4 horsepower. from wikipedia:

When considering human-powered equipment, a healthy human can produce about 1.2 hp briefly (see orders of magnitude) and sustain about 0.1 hp indefinitely; trained athletes can manage up to about 2.5 hp briefly[12] and 0.3 hp for a period of several hours.

A person will not be able to power the generator for very long, probably marginally enough to power the stereo; and likely to be a health risk if not fully acclimated to playa conditions.

Go wind or solar
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby MikeGyver » Sat May 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks EspressoDude, that saves me a lot of time in setting up the bike system for a test. I found a site that said they use them for that but they also said they have a bunch of them with multiple people peddling.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Return to Power & Illumination