Solar lights for art project

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Solar lights for art project

Postby sadhu two hat » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:55 am

I'm starting to put together the materials for an art project I will be bringing to the deep playa. Naturally, I don't want half-crazed art car drivers to run into it in the middle of the night. That would be dangerous, and wrong. The plan is to use solar lights, to set around the perimeter. So I am seeking suggestions for particularly good brands of solar lights: lights that will stay illuminated throughout the night from a full day's charge.
sadhu two hat

Burning Since: 2004

Re: Solar lights for art project

Postby shykat » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:24 am

I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby sadhu two hat » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:45 am

Thanks for helping a lazy man to be lazy. What I learned:

1. Cheap plastic lights will work fine. Put in more than I need, because 25% will die by the end of the week.
2. To last through the night, swap out stock batteries for higher quality batteries.
3. Do not rely upon plastic stakes. Attach lights to rebar.
sadhu two hat

Burning Since: 2004

Postby oscillator » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:51 pm

I have learned to avoid the ultra-cheap Harbor Freight lights and now use stainless-steel units from Lowes, etc. The price difference isn't much, and you will get more years use, especially if you install better batteries.

For the batteries, consider 'higher-quality' to mean nickel–metal hydride with higher mAH rating over the NiCad's that usually come with low-cost solar lamps. This added capacity means your piece will stay lit thru out the night.

See if you can seal all openings, it is the all-pervasive alkaline dust that corrodes terminals and kills electronics. Also, I have had good success with Cramolin on battery contacts. I think it is now called DeoxIT.
oscillator

Return to Power & Illumination