Lighting for the Terminally Inept...

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Re: Lighting for the Terminally Inept...

Postby Eric » Fri May 11, 2012 1:39 pm

Savannah wrote:I have been caught far from camp after the sun sets without a light, before. Not clever! Not only does it make visiting the bathrooms difficult, but it makes me likely to have a collision.

My day-bag has a mini-maglight (or a knock-off) in it at all times, just in case of this. It's about 3" and maybe 1/4" thick, I just keep it in the main pouch. My bike has basic front-and-rear lights (white/red) permanently affixed, so I don't have to worry about that, even if they're boring.

Quite honestly, with the level of lighting competition out there & my limited skills in that area I've gotten less worried about making killer lighting the longer I go and more interested in just making sure I'm not a darkwad. I don't need to be a Christmas Tree, I just need to be easily seen as you approach me. YMMV.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: Lighting for the Terminally Inept...

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Fri May 11, 2012 2:03 pm

Yeah, making sure I'm not a darkwad will be my priority, but I'd like to try lighting up at least one piece of clothing... nothing fancy/serious, but just for a bit of fun. First priority is my bag (which will, yes, always have a flashlight in it, unless said light is in my hand). I figure that's a good place to start, because... well, putting a battery in it isn't going to be much of a challenge :wink: , and it'll be on my person all the time, outside of any other clothes (a jacket, I figure, is more likely to get covered up or removed, depending on conditions (mine and the weather)). I'll probably start with some Xmas or other decorative mini-lights on the strap (and this is where I steal Savannah's plan) plus an LED glowstick hung around my neck, and a flashlight to carry. The other lighting priority after that is the camp, at least enough to make it safe.

If I end up with the luxury of time to work on something more elaborate, maybe I'll have to light up a funnyhat or two. And I do like the look of those little body-light LEDs; I might get some of them and steal waxpraxis' excellent tie-tack idea, or similar.

It's hard to do anything these days except fantasize about clothing, lighting, and shelter for the playa. It makes me giggle on the inside.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Previous

Return to Power & Illumination