Lighting for the Terminally Inept...

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Lighting for the Terminally Inept...

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:09 pm

I've tried: glow sticks, that el wire that comes with a battery pack and you're supposed to use on your bike, blinkies, blinky bike lights, and the only reason I'm not a darkwad is that a friend died and left me his collection of battery operated light strings. (And in the past, I've killed those, too.)

So, I'm okay. And I'm impressed with those of you who spend hours lighting yourselves up.

But are there any down and dirty solutions for someone who doesn't want to buy new lights every year? (And remember, battery operated christmas lights are a web-only item until xmus season...)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Re: Lighting for the Terminally Inept...

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:45 pm

theCryptofishist wrote: (And remember, battery operated christmas lights are a web-only item until xmus season...)

Well if you must pay reartail and go inside a store, then Target has Bat powered LED strings year round, as long is it is one of those big Targets and not the little ones, that is.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:46 pm

oh yeah, and harbor freight has many bat/solar powered options, and they are usually built with a roof also.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby PurplMyst » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:58 pm

I've seen the Life Gear battery powered "glow sticks" in Target, Home Depot, and other similar places year-round. Those are the ones with the whistle on one end, white LED flashlight on the other, and the colored part in the middle that does steady-on or flash.
"Those who danced were thought quite insane by those who did not hear the music"
PurplMyst

Burning Since: 2004

Postby BBadger » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:07 am

That all depends on what you're willing to do and what you need. Do you want/need something premade? Are you willing to do some crafting, wiring, or even soldering yourself? Are you willing to learn how to create lights or dustproof them? Do you only want something from a brick and mortar shop, not from some place like Amazon.com or a shop out of Hong Kong?

Sometimes it's just not worth buying something better when you can take something cheap and shield it from the element. For example, you can put the LED sticks into plastic bottles, like coke bottles, and they're effectively sealed and protected. You can also use plastic tubing for something less bulky, such as acrylic tubes, or just nicer bottles. Finally, you can just put glue on the light joints to keep that dust out. That doesn't help the battery life of those button cells, but you can just replace them each night.

For anything else, I've just gone with disposable LED sticks because they're cheap, last a night, and are light to wear. For something longer lasting, I'll be modifying some of the LED sticks that I like into something more permanent that uses larger batteries. I don't know if you want to actually modify any of these lights or make your own.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:59 am

Let's just say off the shelf. There are plenty of threads about making lighting. This is not one of them.
barring thread drift of course
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Elorrum » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:40 am

What do you want to light? decorate? portable on you? on your tent? strings of lights? flashers? tent light to see by?
durable buy it once I think will only describe a flashlight or lantern, and basic bike lights. The decorative stuff isn't as durable, but it's a relative term. I have dusty dirty cheap stuff, that after the first year, I don't clean... solar lamps for my tent stakes. and they do fine. I charge the batteries in a charger before I leave, and they still work fine.
If you missed the after (before) Christmas clearance, retailers will have patio clearance right before the burn. I usually check out what's available now, and then see how the prices drop before the burn. That's also a good time for outdoor folding furniture like beach chairs, and plastic tables.

Krill makes a battery operated glow stick that is reportedly bomb proof, though pricey mid twenty dollars.

Ground score in 2008, a great little light for me: energizer one button one led cap light. clips on a cap, fits in a pocket, and if someone says, "I need a light over here" you can pull it off and hand it to them.
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
There’s no WIFI but you’ll surely make a better connection.
Elorrum

Postby BBadger » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:11 pm

I'd probably go with some non-dust-proof lights in transparent jars or bottles. It's not a solution like buying pre-made good quality lights so much as making less durable lights endure the elements. This is mostly because most off-the-shelf waterproof lighting is either for construction site marking, which is expensive, a flashlight-type lighting (boring, eats batteries), or something like just a blinking red bike light (relatively pricey, boring, prone to breakage). The bottles/jars are also easy to mount if you use wire (such as mechanic's wire), and won't break apart from getting banged up.

You can put some lights like "Chain rainbow" necklaces into transparent jars, or glow sticks into tubes or bottles to keep the elements off them. Those two above are reusable, so you can buy some AG3 batteries off Amazon.com for cheap and replace those as needed, or simply swap them out if you have extras. Many of those sites have minimum orders (ExtremeGlow has a $25 minimum order; also wait for the 10% off deal), so you could just use them until the batteries die, toss them in the "used" bag, and fill the batteries up at your leisure next year if you don't want rebuy them.

Also note that those LED sticks/devices have buttons on them that often accidentally get pressed. You can avoid them accidentally getting turned on or off by mounting/taping them to the side, or surrounding the button area with something like a plastic cap.

Finally, that site ExtremeGlow might carry some better lights for marking than the cheapo ones that have currently. They had something called a "Power Stick" that used AA batteries that seemed quite a bit more durable (not available at the moment). I would duct tape them up just to keep them in good condition, but I think those might even be a good way to go as they lasted quite a while on our bikes, and they're STILL on my bike as I didn't remove them.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby Sail Man » Tue May 01, 2012 3:36 pm

BBadger wrote:I'd probably go with some non-dust-proof lights in transparent jars or bottles. It's not a solution like buying pre-made good quality lights so much as making less durable lights endure the elements. The bottles/jars are also easy to mount if you use wire (such as mechanic's wire), and won't break apart from getting banged up.

BBadger, that is one out-fucking-standing idea! I may have to temporarily worship the playa you stand on for that one :D
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby BBadger » Wed May 02, 2012 10:48 am

Sail Man wrote:
BBadger wrote:I'd probably go with some non-dust-proof lights in transparent jars or bottles. It's not a solution like buying pre-made good quality lights so much as making less durable lights endure the elements. The bottles/jars are also easy to mount if you use wire (such as mechanic's wire), and won't break apart from getting banged up.

BBadger, that is one out-fucking-standing idea! I may have to temporarily worship the playa you stand on for that one :D

You can decorate them up too! For example you can put fluorescent paint and all that will fluoresce depending on the light inside.

BBadger

Postby some seeing eye » Sat May 05, 2012 8:48 am

Crypto and others in larger cities. Anyone can use ideas in Maker Magazine (the website) and Instructables, but many cities have "maker spaces" and "hacker spaces" where people meet for classes, workshops, and open collaboration on projects, including small electronics and LED projects. Just search for the quoted terms, and in your regional. Usually a friendly geeky crowd.

I'm a big fan of blinking LED's run directly off a 9V battery. LED, battery clip, 2 solder joints and some insulation. They run for more than a week 24x7 on one battery.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat May 05, 2012 9:58 am

Please, some seeing eye, keep in mind that this is a thread for those without maker skills or those sorts of external resources, whether the limiting resource is time, money, energy, geography, whatever. Think of 15 minute solutions--ready for the playa, pack, and go. There's all sorts of ambitious solution threads here. So, one step above darkwad--how do you take that step?
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Elorrum » Sat May 05, 2012 1:46 pm

Personal lights for you? One step above darkwad indicates that... I'm thinking.
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
Elorrum

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat May 05, 2012 1:48 pm

I have a working solution. (Thanks to a legacy from a dead friend. snff.) Not up to the snuff of many others on this board, but it works. Still think there might be some that others would easily adopt without fuss without mess.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby some seeing eye » Sat May 05, 2012 4:25 pm

Search is not inept, nor is collaboration. Physics has commercialized at low cost almost every way of making light. I know the space. No magic bullet discoverable here, ever.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat May 05, 2012 7:35 pm

Gobblety-Gook, is that you?
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby waxpraxis » Mon May 07, 2012 7:49 am

What I've done in the past is to buy a bunch of body lights from ExtremeGlow or similar and then track down these blank tie tacks. I glue the body light to the pin and off you go! The lights can be turned on and off easily (unscrew slightly) and you can even change the batteries.

waxpraxis

Postby Elorrum » Mon May 07, 2012 10:49 am

not an endorsement. I like hat lights myself.
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
Elorrum

Postby BBadger » Mon May 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Really, unless you want to weather-proof things yourself, I'd just accept that your lights can die each year. Buy a bulk order at ExtremeGlow, get some replacement batteries if you're so inclined, and see how long they last. Get a variety so that you can see which ones are good, and which ones suck. Literally shove them into bottles and they're effectively weatherproofed.

The more durable lights I've seen (such as mining lights) are extremely expensive, and not meant for wearing on your body. Even if you're buying new disposable lights each trip, it'll probably cost you less than higher quality reusable premade solutions. I also wouldn't trust Christmas lights to last that long, and do you really want to go through the effort of cleaning them after the trip? So much of the dust covered stuff I buy I don't even want to bother cleaning after the trip. I don't even know if you can truly get lights such as Christmas lights back in good condition.

BBadger

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon May 07, 2012 9:02 pm

BBadger wrote:Even if you're buying new disposable lights each trip, it'll probably cost you less than higher quality reusable premade solutions.

Yes! This bears out my experience! It's nice to see it laid out like that, rather than wrapped up in some crap about resources and virtue.
Thank you
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby gyre » Mon May 07, 2012 9:33 pm

As for any LED question, I would recommend the LED Museum.
And please contribute.

The guy that runs it is in a chair, and may have some useful advice besides what is already on his site.
He's put a great deal of effort into this work.
I know he's never broken even on it.
http://ledmuseum.org/

Is lighting important using the chair the rest of the year?

If so, it makes much more sense to use something more cost effective long term.

For quick application, dot striping and the common glowsticks with replaceable batteries would be the easiest.
There are better sticks at higher cost, but harder to find.
White is most effective.

A system with a single battery pack is far more effective, even if you pay someone to wire it.
The easy approach is with automotive LED strips, but xtracycle has marketed some enclosed light strips too.

For package systems,mining lighting is overkill.
Bike packages are very good though, some with lithium batteries and high power lighting, but weak in marker lighting.
gyre

Postby BBadger » Tue May 08, 2012 4:02 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
BBadger wrote:Even if you're buying new disposable lights each trip, it'll probably cost you less than higher quality reusable premade solutions.

Yes! This bears out my experience! It's nice to see it laid out like that, rather than wrapped up in some crap about resources and virtue.
Thank you

Oh that's funny--especially in the context of bringing superfluous, decorative shit out to a festival in the middle of a dry lake bed.

Was your OP prompted by such a conversation about owning more durable lights, or out of a genuine interest to find some? I think it's a lost cause actually, because lightweight, wearable, decorative costume stuff is rarely made for harsh environments. Even good quality stuff doesn't last on the playa.

BBadger

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue May 08, 2012 11:35 am

I've been struggling with the lighting question for a while. I think if you go through old lighting threads, you might find me telling newbies: Oh, just go with glowsticks, everything else feels like a rip-off.
I thought it would be a good sort of thread to start, because I utterly refused to believe that I was the only one.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Eric » Tue May 08, 2012 1:07 pm

I use the stuff from Extreme Glow- you know, the cheap stuff that can't handle the environment out there. All I care is "will it last me a week". Answer is not only yes, but I have some that are going back for their 3rd year this time.

Like Fishy, I'm not DIY when it comes to electronics (I can hammer & torch loverly jewelry, but the electronics stuff... not so much), I like to buy things that are pre-made & work with them. Last year I bought a lot of the "necklace" lights, took off the necklace & put them on safety-pins. Just pinned them to my clothes when I went out- the catch is that you can't turn them off when you're out or they may fall apart. Oh well- I stayed lit.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby BBadger » Wed May 09, 2012 4:07 am

I am a DIY electronics person, but I realize that you've gotta pick your battles. Sure, for my own self-built stuff I might spend more time to make them last, but glow-sticks? Forget it. It's not worth "investing" in something cheap-unless-durable that gets used one week out of a year, even if you had those lights since the first BM.

And what, are you going to wear the same damn decorative lights every fucking year? Spend that money on the camp lighting.

On another note, I am pretty impressed with those Extreme Glow products. Those cups, those sticks, all those things usually last longer than one burn. If they break? Who cares? Grab another one. They're fun to give away too, as people think they're a pretty awesome gift (and they are for darktards).

BBadger

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 09, 2012 9:03 am

BBadger wrote:I am a DIY electronics person, but I realize that you've gotta pick your battles.

Again, a perfectly cromulent thing to say.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby SnowBlind » Fri May 11, 2012 2:21 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
BBadger wrote:I am a DIY electronics person, but I realize that you've gotta pick your battles.

Again, a perfectly cromulent thing to say.

cromulent, huh? TIL...
SnowBlind

Postby Savannah » Fri May 11, 2012 12:31 pm

I go through LED lights pretty fast, so they are not my main sources of illumination. I like to wear battery-operated Christmas lights at night, wrapped around my shoulders or clipped to a belt using book rings. I also bring a tube of glow bracelets and connectors to light up a number of things, and a headlamp, and some small mag lights on lanyards. Those are less fragile than LEDs--for me. Although I did buy some red heart-shaped Pet Lights at BB&B on clearance. $2 apiece for blinking red clip hearts! :D

I've been pretty informal about my battery-operated Christmas lights in the past, but this year I might sew some D-rings out of sight, underneath my playa coat lapels (once I narrow down which coat I'll be wearing primarily), and use book rings to encircle and connect strings of lights. That way, when a string dies, I can unclip quickly and hang up a new string.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Fri May 11, 2012 12:37 pm

Savannah wrote:I go through LED lights pretty fast, so they are not my main sources of illumination. I like to wear battery-operated Christmas lights at night, wrapped around my shoulders or clipped to a belt using book rings. I also bring a tube of glow bracelets and connectors to light up a number of things, and a headlamp, and some small mag lights on lanyards. Those are less fragile than LEDs--for me. Although I did buy some red heart-shaped Pet Lights at BB&B on clearance. $2 apiece for blinking red clip hearts! :D

I've been pretty informal about my battery-operated Christmas lights in the past, but this year I might sew some D-rings out of sight, underneath my playa coat lapels (once I narrow down which coat I'll be wearing primarily), and use book rings to encircle and connect strings of lights. That way, when a string dies, I can unclip quickly and hang up a new string.

Savannah, that's brilliant. I'm going to be stealing some of these ideas.
I'm already a fan of book rings, though. I use them for everything (including hanging my shower curtain).
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby Savannah » Fri May 11, 2012 12:54 pm

You're welcome. :D Book rings are awesome. I don't trust one book ring alone to hold something important on a jaunt across the playa, but in plural the load is less, new ones do very well, and permit helpful adjustments. If the connection is anything less than very solid on a specific ring, I won't use it; I don't want to MOOP one.

For something like keys I would use a carabiner clip. I usually have a couple of empty ones clipped to my bag of wandering, & a few more in my tool kit.

I have been caught far from camp after the sun sets without a light, before. Not clever! Not only does it make visiting the bathrooms difficult, but it makes me likely to have a collision. Luckily, I was able to borrow a spare light from a friend til I got back to camp. It's always good to carry a few small lights with you even in the daytime, so you don't have to leave a party early. You never know where the day will take you.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Next

Return to Power & Illumination