LED light help

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

LED light help

Postby Trishntek » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:33 pm

We are replacing most of our camp lighting with LED's this year. 45 foot strings of SOLAR POWERED LED's that are programmable and we found them in red, white and blue.

We also obtained some LED 5W bulbs which screw into regular incandescent sockets. We also got these FOUR COLOR LED bulbs which each have their own remote control to sequence and mix colors or just let it run random. These also screw into standard sockets and draw 7W. These type of bulbs are equivalent to 60W incandescent bulb in brightness!

They are pricey and you can find them all on eBay. But they are claimed to last 10 years or more. The screw in bulbs are exemplary of very robust construction.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Re: LED light help

Postby gyre » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:27 am

For general lighting, fluorescents are far more cost effective.
gyre

Postby trilobyte » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:02 pm

Splitting these posts off from the 2005 camp thread and putting them into Power & Illumination.

Congrats on the camp lighting upgrade, TnT! LED's are a definite win for the playa, both in being more rugged than most 'bulbs' and efficient in the power department. We use a mix of LED lights and CFL bulbs for our camp (you can get colored CFL bulbs at the big box hardware joints now, btw), but nothing programmable or solar-powered (yet).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Trishntek » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:41 pm

It kinda blew me away when I saw I'm the OP since it was a response to something else.

We do also have LED rope lights, but they draw 24W each. The solar strings are supposed to last 8 hours on a 6 hour charge. I'll believe it when I see it. I'm hoping they will die about the time everybody's hitting the sack, but we shall see! The playa has a way of making everything a wee bit less durable and functional.
Trishntek

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:06 pm

My solar leds work from dusk to dawn and just have the 1 AA battery. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby SquirrelHead » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:56 pm

Tnt, where do you get you LEDs? I am trying to find a good place so we can light up our camp.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
dirty little reclaimed BURGIN. Ruining Burning Man since 2012.
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Trishntek » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:47 am

SquirrelHead wrote:Tnt, where do you get you LEDs? I am trying to find a good place so we can light up our camp.

I've noticed some at the big box stores the past few weeks. We got all our lights off of eBay. I know Amazon has them too. We just found a better deal on the former, at the time. There are LED solar power SPOT lights too.

We also use LED book reading lamps that claim to run 48 hours on 3 AAA batteries. We have them clamped above our fabric art prints which will accent the inside of our,,, ehem,, acitivities area. Perfect for showing off artwork!
Trishntek

Postby ElvisUnknow » Thu May 24, 2012 2:34 am

To get or have made a faux fur coat. Remove the lining, and cut tiny holes the size of the LED in the backing material.

Obtain pre made RGB LED strip lights.

Hot glue gun the LED to the back of the fur at each LED location. These are spaced 1.3" apart.

Once I get the coat, I will be able to determine how many strips I need. Each strip is 5 meters long with 150 RGB LEDs on it. The MAXIMUM number of strips I can use is 5, so I will have to space them accordingly. Beyond 5, I will exeed the wattage of the...

Moderator note: removed commercial links. Kept post since it's appropriate to the subject.
ElvisUnknow

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: ElvisUnknow

Postby junglesmacks » Thu May 24, 2012 5:01 am

Have you experimented with your idea first? I have a good feeling that while it may look good on paper, once you get out there and start moving and flexing all of your hot-glued strips.. this will all end in tears.

There's a reason why this year for the full body LED suit that I designed and fabricated my own printed circuit boards and will be using tiny nuts and bolts to secure them.

Trying to light up clothing can work.. well, in fact.. but the design needs to be completely bulletproof. Seriously. Over think EVERYTHING.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Return to Power & Illumination