Know best formula for Glowing Paper Mache?

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Know best formula for Glowing Paper Mache?

Postby 18xbrewer » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:34 am

I was wondering if anyone knew of the best formula to make paper mache that is strong but will allow light through? If so that would help out. I have seen a bunch of martha stewarts stuff but i figure people that burn might have better formulas. Thanks!!! :mrgreen:
Last edited by 18xbrewer on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
18xbrewer

Re: Know best formula for Glowing Paper Mache?

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:49 am

Although paper mache is by nature fairly opaque, I have found the following makes the most translucent PM possible - it is also fairly strong:

use plain unprinted newsprint paper
instead of a flour based paste use about 1 part water with 2-3 parts white glue (such as Elmers).

Flour pastes dry opaque while white glue dries translucent.

hope that helps.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby The CO » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:51 am

Or use glow paint as your base layer when painting.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:11 pm

You can also use a lighter weight paper than newsprint- "bleeding" tissue paper is great.

Put the first few layers on your balloon without glue (you don't want the latex to stick), then use white glue recipe Drawingablank suggested. The bleeding tissue will give you nice blended colors. Use a cheap brush for this- it will get trashed.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby 18xbrewer » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:56 pm

thanks a bunch all great ideas!!! in your face martha! ;)
18xbrewer

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:59 pm

I just realized I should have been clearer in my post- get your first layers wet just using water and apply them to the balloon & then do the glue layers. Oops. Always helps if you don't forget steps.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby 18xbrewer » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:02 am

^Perfect thanks for the clarification!!! You guys that burn are awesome, I'm a virgin bm and so pumped to go thanks so much guys any more tips are always welcome!!! Thanks again! :mrgreen:
18xbrewer

Postby westnileraven » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:15 pm

Eric?
Is bleeding tissue paper like, um..those sheets for gift wrapping?
This thread is awesome... I totally want to do this.
westnileraven

Postby BBadger » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:14 pm

If you can get some paper that is fluorescent, you can make them look good with some cheap UV LEDs. It might go somewhat further than just glowing, and they can last quite a while if you use something like a Joule Thief.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Joule Thief

Postby gyre » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:38 pm

That is extremely cool.

Have you posted it in illumination?
That needs to not get lost.
http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/bigclive/joule.htm

How do you think it compares to a standard pwm?

I hope you'll email a link to the LED Museum.
gyre

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:10 pm

westnileraven wrote:Eric?
Is bleeding tissue paper like, um..those sheets for gift wrapping?
This thread is awesome... I totally want to do this.

Bleeding tissue is like regular tissue paper except the colors run & blend when they get wet, and the sheets are much more mold-able when wet. Regular tissue doesn't mold as easily.

You'll find it at almost any craft store and larger art supplies, usually with the other tissues. It will very clearly say "bleeding" on it.

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:05 pm

Are you sure it's not tissue paper at that time of the month?

What the fuck got into me? Stupid conversation today. I'd hate it if a man made the same joke.

Or it could be British tissue paper of the profane variety.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby westnileraven » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:27 am

If you were a man, I'd make some comment like 'I just popped you in the mouth tissue" :D
Okay, Imma have to find some florescent bleeders...
westnileraven

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:55 am

How about the paper from those sky lanterns? Might hold up better if the tissue or bleeding paper dont cut it.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby Eric » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:14 pm

BlackRockCityPimp wrote:How about the paper from those sky lanterns? Might hold up better if the tissue or bleeding paper dont cut it.

That's "rice" paper (usually what you find with that name is mulberry paper, not rice. Don't worry, unless you're doing Asian calligraphy you won't know the difference). Mulberry paper can be extremely flexible when wet- types of it are used by archaeologist to make dimensional impressions of Mayan stele amongst other things. The catch- it's going to be a lot more expensive than bleeding tissue paper, with a more limited range of colors. The bonus- it looks great! You get lots of fibers in it which make lovely subtle patterns with the light.

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby tink2011 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:55 pm

I made a mutant vehicle for 2010 and 2011. I used paper mache for the head of my alien and the globe that he/she was holding. They were really big and it worked great! I used spray paint to cover, but had a hard time covering the print on the newspaper. I know you are making yours translucent, but thought I'd throw that out there. If you are making it a solid color, then make sure you use the newspaper with the least ink on the outside! Also, don't forget to seal the outside in case of rain. I used a urethane (Helmsman) and painted a couple of coats last minute. And I mean last minute! I did it the day before leaving for the playa. My campmates thought it was overkill, until it started raining on the playa! We ran about 1/4 mile back to camp when it rained prepared to throw a tarp over the alien and when we got there the rain was beading off without a problem! Everyone was happy I had taken the time to use the urethane. I hope that helps. I plan to make the shell of the space ship out of paper mache this year too. Wish me luck and give advice if you can!
tink2011

Postby Drawingablank » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:24 pm

tink2011 wrote:I plan to make the shell of the space ship out of paper mache this year too. Wish me luck and give advice if you can!

For opaque pm, painting it with white gesso (the stuff used to prime artists canvases) first should pretty much eliminate any print bleed through and it also toughens up the project as well. Gesso is pretty much impervious to any paint / ink type. It is also great for painting stuff cut from foam as it allows you to spray paint it without the foam dissolving.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby munkycmunkydoo » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:07 pm

BBadger wrote:If you can get some paper that is fluorescent, you can make them look good with some cheap UV LEDs. It might go somewhat further than just glowing, and they can last quite a while if you use something like a Joule Thief.

Hell yeah this is exactly what I was looking for as part of another project. Bleeding tissue paper, and Joule Thief. Thanks.
munkycmunkydoo

Postby Herring » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:26 pm

Alternatively, you could use yarn or string instead of paper. Just dip your yarn or string into your water + flour/glue mixture and wrap it around your form, leaving space in between for light to come through. It's a pretty neat effect.

"It's impossible." said pride.
"It's risky." said experience.
"It's pointless." said reason.
"Give it a try." whispered the heart.
Herring

Return to Power & Illumination