Solar: Amorphous vs. Monocrystalline.

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Solar: Amorphous vs. Monocrystalline.

Postby Goz » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:25 am

So every year I say I'm going to start building a solar generator (by *start* I mean go basic, upgrade parts as needed). This year I gotta go for it.

I have some questions that seem basic but I can never find conclusive answers online. I'm not drawing a lot of power -- I have a BMorg-endorsed photography project that requires a ton of fancy-pants batteries for lights, laptops, and cameras (said project is at http://kck.st/pHqkfA -- shameless plug... say hi if you see me). Checked out AEZ's website (as I do every year when I get this itch lol) and I'm all set for "how to build it" so now it's more like... Suggestions on brands / types of gear that work best on the playa?

Biggest question is, what type of panel? I'm most intrigued with those foldable panels from a storage-when-not-in-use point of view. They open up from something laptop-sized to something that could cover half of my car roof (which is where I plan on mounting it). Most use Amorphous thin film cells, which I've read are way less efficient -- but much more efficient in hot weather and when covered in dust than other types. The other option seems to be mono crystalline panels which seem to be more efficient but efficiency drops in hot weather.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or is it just sorta trial and error... get something and see how it works? I guess I want to know if anyone wants to steer me away from thin film... Danke!
on the playa in 2010:
http://humanlightsuit.com
Goz

Re: Solar: Amorphous vs. Monocrystalline.

Postby Just_Joe » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:03 am

For low power needs, the James Bond approach (briefcase) may be the best - as long as you intend to live within its means.

My 110W polycrystalline panel has a slightly smaller footprint than a 45W Harbor Freight thin film kit.
I shied away from mono panels when i learned that any shade (dust?) at all would cut their output to nothing.
My poly panel puts out 6-7amps in 90 degree temps and keeps the two RV batteries topped out throughout the week.
User weather man is now Just_Joe
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017

Postby gyre » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:36 pm

There is a solar camp that has been there in the past.

I watched them producing 20 kilowatts in real time.
Very impressive.

They might know something.
gyre

Postby Token » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:31 pm

The whole heat thing: it's not about daily air temperature or weather. It's about; you mounted the panel to a tin roof in direct sunlight and the roof temperature at the surface is 250 degrees etc.

You can mitigate that by airgap and placement on suitable surfaces.

Roof of car is probably the worst place to put one.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Return to Power & Illumination