Honda generator user's trick.

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Honda generator user's trick.

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:26 pm

Here's how to hook up an external fuel tank to your Honda EU1000/EU2000 generator. No moving parts, no modifications to your Honda.
http://www.ilynne.com/captaingoddammit/
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Extra Fuel Tank

Postby gilmore » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:44 am

This is the best thing since sliced bread and doorknobs.
Eat till you're tired, sleep till you're hungry
gilmore

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:45 am

Pretty crafty(pun)dogdamnit.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby stuart » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:27 am

sweet
stuart

wow

Postby theshaman » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:35 pm

I bow down to your simple wisdom...all the days last year I would have NOT smelled like gas....we have 2 of these geneys, damn this is sweet
Buddha wasn't a Christian, but Jesus would have made a good Buddhist

Shaman
theshaman

What about the air filters?

Postby augustIII » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:31 pm

Wow did I score with this honda eu2000! Very excited to add on the external tank. Thanks for the tip.

Do you have any advice around the air filter? Is there a trick to keeping the playa out (beefing up the pre-filter some how)?

Another question...how long does the 2000 run on a tank of gas under full load?

Thx. AugustIII
augustIII

Postby Tancorix » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:53 pm

At 1190 ft altitude with an EU2000i my unit ran for 4:19. The tank was filled to the max fuel line and the unit run at 1954 watts load under test. The playa if I remember without digging up my fact book is about 3800 ft up so you can expect to lose 9-12% of the rated output...my bet is 3.5 hours under max load under routine playa conditions. (no white outs or alpha conditions)

As for the filters I was looking at that too. The filter is a dual stage unit similar to the ones found on Stihl chainsaws and other outdoor equipment that is used under brutal conditions. Plus this filter is located behind a shroud....essentially making the outer case a 3rd level filter/blocking device.

Last year I had a Coleman Powermat Sport 1850 (Noisy MF) that was left out unshielded in the worst of the dust...and it kept right on running. And it's filter is not as good as the Honda. My hunch is the regular filter will hold up fine, and unlike the power cables and extra gas cap that set me back $32 today, the filters are relatively cheap if you simply wanted to bring a spare so you could run one, and clean the other. Also remember the outer filter needs to be oiled so you might want to plan ahead for how to perform that maintenance on the playa without making a moop problem.

Another consideration...page 47 of the manual recommends cleaning the spark arrester after 100 hours of use...or basically 4 days of constant use. You might be able to skate by for a week without cleaning it but once you get the unit home this is a bit of maintenance you want to plan on doing. It's not something you have to do on a lot of gennys so this would be easily forgotten about.
Tancorix

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:30 am

I have been running Honda generators almost 24/7 at BM, and the eu2000 has been fine in the dust, but I do bring spare filters. The eu1000 has only 1 filter and I have had trouble keeping it running, but that year I had one mounted behind my mutant vehicle, under the rear swim step, the dustiest possible location. Otherwise they seem OK, but I disassemble them (they're pretty modular inside) and hose them out, then douse them in wd40.
Captain Goddammit

Postby augustIII » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:42 am

Mil Gracias.

Any experience with the DC charging feature? Can I charge two 6v's in series?

Did I see somewhere that you also have a design for that charging cord Captain Goddammit, or was that for the parellel cables?
augustIII

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:29 am

The DC charging feature is best ignored. It is very low-power, and not regulated. The way to go is to use a regular battery charger plugged into the Honda's 120VAC output. Good ones will regulate the amount of charging current proportionally to how low the battery is, preventing overcharging and damage, unlike the DC charge cord with the Honda.

Maybe I'll be able to post a good parallel cable how-to this weekend...
Really, all you have to do is get two 3-prong power tool replacement cords (suitable for 15 amps each) and connect them together into a junction box with whatever style receptacle you need. You can include a citcuit breaker in the junction box, but if you're connecting to the Hondas through their 3-prong outlets (rather than the banana plugs) you are already going through circuit breakers in the generators. The banana plugs that the factory parallel cables connect to are not routed through the generator's circuit breaker.

Keep the polarity the same everywhere. The generators don't care if one is backwards and will work fine, but you might plug in a 2-prong appliance that needs to be hooked correctly for proper grounding and have a fun incident sometime soon otherwise.
Keep the left, right, and ground prongs all hooked up to their respective same places in your parallel box.
Captain Goddammit

Honda EU2000 Generator Parallel Operation

Postby Tafkah » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 am

Hi,
We're planning to buy 2 of the super quiet Honda EU2000 generators to power sound and light in our Lounge. We need 3000 watts total.

Here's the plan:

Buy or make a set of parallel cables (the kind with banana plugs on each end) So the Hondas are almost performing like one bigger generator. I say almost because we are limited by the 20 amp (2400 watt) breaker on each Honda.

We'll plug our 2400 watt amp into one of the Honda's 120v outlets and the other 600 watts of amps and lights into the other Honda 120v outlet.

Will this set up work? Any better ideas?

Thanks,
ray
Tafkah

Re: Honda EU2000 Generator Parallel Operation

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:58 pm

Tafkah wrote: Any better ideas?

Thanks,
ray

Well, yes.
If you make up a parallel hookup cable that feeds from the banana plugs on the front panel of the Honda, you won't be going through the 20-amp internal breaker. And you'll need to use an appropriately-sized breaker in your junction box.

You can make up a parallel connection box with parts from Home Despot (or equivalent) by connecting 2 power-tool replacement cords (with plugs on one end, bare wires on the other) together on whatever style receptacle you need, and mounting that receptacle in a plastic outlet box. Feeding from the Hondas through the standard home-style outlets means that you'll be going through each generator's breakers and will not really need to mount another in the junction box. And you won't be limited to 20 amps total as if you were going through just one plug.

The downside to doing this, in some peoples eyes, is that if someone unplugs one of the cords to the generators, you'll have live power on the exposed plug. I figure that no one should be messing with my generators, so...

The easiest way to hook 2 Honda EU-series generators together is to simply make up a cord with male plugs at each end, and just plug one generator into the other. Use at least 12-guage wire. When you plug a large electric load into the remaining outlet on either generator, it gets current from that generator through that generator's circuit breaker, and current from the other generator through the other's breaker, so you aren't limited to 2400 watts. This method works fine, but also poses the possible hazard of winning a Darwin award for whoever unplugs one end of the hookup cord and touches the terminals.

IMPORTANT NOTE: When paralleling 2 (or more... I've run as many as 4 together) Hondas, don't plug them together with more than ONE of them running! Plug them together first, THEN start them up!

And, keep the polarity the same everywhere, don't mix up the left and right sides of the plugs. The generators will work either way, but you will run into grounding issues if you mix up the wires. Left prong to left prong, right to right, ground prong to ground prong, it's pretty simple, but important.
Captain Goddammit

Postby frenchblue1 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:49 pm

Hey Captain, I believe you would be the one to know this after reading many of your posts...Have you ever tried mounting an alternator to windmill device to see if it would crank over and recharge batteries or power anything?
I only have a 1800 watt generator and I was looking for otherways to power things.
Thanks if you have input.
frenchblue1

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:59 pm

I've tried some other ways of turning alternators, but I haven't tried wind. I know there are people who have, try searching for Alternative Energy Zone stuff, they're into that sort of thing. Personally, I'd think it would take a pretty big mill to get enough power out of to do much, solar panels seem more practical for the playa, but being on the playa isn't always about being "practical"...
Captain Goddammit

how do I open this geny?

Postby augustIII » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:44 pm

Can some wonderfully experienced person recommend a way to remove the bottom two nuts and bolts in the Honda eu2000's plastic casing? They're the ones that are hidden until the two grey plastic runners are removed fron the bottom edges, and connect both halves of the red covering.

The problem is that with every twist of the ratchet on the nut side, the other end the bolt which appears to be designed to be held from turning by the plastic casing is turning as well and the nut isn't coming loose.

Is this the one flaw with these generators? Has anyone figured out how to work around this?

Any cleaning tips (compressed air, vinegar, ?)?

What's with sraying the inside with wd40 Captain Goddamit?
dj AugustIII
augustIII

Postby Tancorix » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:26 pm

Shameless bump. I know several people who were looking for this thread so I wanted to give it some exposure. Up it goes.
Tancorix

External Fuel Tank

Postby Tafkah » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:34 am

Last year, I made two of the external fuel tanks like the Captain suggested for our camps Honda EU1000 & EU2000 generators. Thanks, Captain!

They worked well except a couple times the generators stopped, apparantly running out of gas. I guess we had a kink or maybe a small air leak in the fuel line somewhere. This year, I'll make sure the hoses can't kink and maybe elevate the external tanks a little.
Tafkah

Postby Kinetic IV » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:01 am

I ended up having to elevate my tanks too but once I did that it worked fine. I had the generator quit once in the dust storm and another time because I forgot to refill the tank. But the captain's suggestion was one of the best playa tips I've come across.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:41 am

I'm just bumping this 'cuz there's still plenty of time to make these things, and I wouldn't go to the playa without it!
Captain Goddammit

Postby phil » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:39 am

I think this is one of the longest-running and most useful threads I've seen.
phil

Postby Iago » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:55 pm

Hey Captain, I rigged up the spare tank per your instructions for my eu2000 last year. Man, it worked perfectly!!! Also lost power this winter and was so great to just fill the aux tank and not mess with a hot generator...

I use a Moeller Marine Products 3 Gallon plastic tank with fuel level gauge and a 6 foot hose. I like the long hose to keep it away from genny to refuel while it's running.

THANKS Captain for the EXCELLENT tip....!
Iago

Burning Since: 1998
Camp Name: I Camp Remember

Honda EU 1000i

Postby munney » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:15 pm

I'm a gonna try this however, I gots a couple things on ma mind,

1. This is my first year with a Genny of my own, Honda EU 1000i. Ive wanted one all my years and finally kicked down to get one from CraigsList ($400) YeaYa!
2. Anyone know how long the basic tank will last on the EU 1000i with out the external tank? Basic and under a load?
3. I may be on the grid for my homelife so I dont know how much I'll need to use the Generator, but any tips are useful, and ...
4. I will most likely be in an RV for my first time, that has a generator, but mostly likely the company will charge me for hours used,,,

I appreciate all thoughts, and love the original Link and details of the trick to getting more time out of your generator between fill-ups.

p.s. I may have a personal Staph Electric Red Phuzzy Golfcart out there... Say HI.
:lol:
Munney

"Miss the Playa Dont you?"
munney

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:25 pm

It'll run a few hours under a load, not as long as usual because of the altitude. Power output will be down a bit as well.

Other best useful tip: Bring spare air filters. They are easy to change, pop off the big side cover and take the black plastic cover off. If you haven't got time to obtain spares, at least clean your air filter often.

Yes, most RV rental companies charge hourly rates for using the built-in generator.

And, longer running time isn't the only reason you want to make one of these tanks. The built-in tank is very small, and you can't see into it as you fill it, so you almost always spill gas on your hot generator when refilling. It's also nice to have all your fuel going through a filter.
Captain Goddammit

Thanks Cap'n

Postby munney » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:11 am

I live near a Honda Dealer, however besides the 12 volt charger cables, I havent seen spare air filters, ....

:shock:A. If I go by Mr. Fixit at Camp Hot Wheels for a Free Blow Job :P , should that clean the filter proper enough? 8) :?:

:shock:B. Should I get the 12 volt charger cables, Useful or a waste.... :?:

C. What kind of Margaritas do you concoct :?: , I have a Masters in Tequila Tech. so I am a bit finiky, I prefer the simple pure basic, :::
:arrow: Excellent Tequila = 2 shots
:arrow: Good Tripple Sec = 1 shot
:arrow: One Fresh Squozen Lime = 1 shot
:idea: Glass without salt, Ice in Rock form, Margarita Shaken, Poured, Drink, Drank, Drunk, More Please

For years I have brought my Blender top, no need for the motor part as the more crushed the ice, the more diluted the Margarita....

When I See you, I plan to stop you for a drink and a ride. :wink: :?:
Munney

"Miss the Playa Dont you?"
munney

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:07 pm

The air filters are a service item, ask the parts guy for them.
That blow job at Hot Wheels camp... uh... I dunno, maybe it'll make it worse!!

The 12-volt charger cables: kind of a waste, very low-power. A better way to go is to use a regular home-style battery charger plugged into the Honda.

For practical reasons on the playa I mostly just use pre-made margarita mix and mid-grade tequila and a blender.

At home I like Aha Toro tequila (expensive but worth it!).
Your recipe is exactly how it's correctly done, although I like mine blended and with salt.

I don't worry about the dilution factor... they never seem to be around long enough for that to happen!

By all means, yell for Captain Goddammit and I'll haul out the gangplank and haul you aboard.
Captain Goddammit

Postby CapSmashy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:02 pm

And a big old bump. :)

So there I was, wanting to make my extended run gas tank set up for my EU 2000. I deviated a bit from the good Captain's design above and wanted to add an inline priming bulb that I saw recommended on several RV sites.

I already had a 6 gallon marine tank laying about so all I needed was fittings, an inline filter, the bulb, some fuel line and stuff like hose clamps.

Several of the RV sites recommended Academy Sporting Goods for all the bits and pieces. Sweet, there's one 5 minutes form here. Apparently in the 2 years since those writeups were done, Academy no longer sells generic marine fuel fittings. Everything was model specific and rather pricey. I did pick up a generic primer bulb. My choices were 1/4" or 5/16" fuel line connections, so I went with 1/4" on my first piece.

I figure with the low volume of fuel used, 1/4" line should be fine for it.

Second stop was Wal Mart as it was another place recommended to find the pieces. They don't even carry marine fuel tanks at the one near me, much less any fittings or parts.

Third stop was another big sporting goods store that like Wal Mart had no boat stuff.

Fourth stop was home depot. I managed to secure all of my necessary brass fittings for a 2 generator setup here.

Fifth stop was Autozone. No 1/4" fuel line. Really?

Sixth stop was Tractor supply. 10 ft of 1/4" fuel line secured. I also noted they had all of the brass fittings for a few cents cheaper than the despot.

Seventh stop was the auto parts store next door to TS where I picked up the fuel filter and hose clamps.

In between Home Depot and Autozone, I realized why many people recommend buying these premade online. This was turning into a time consuming pain in the ass.

I also realize had I just stayed within a few blocks of the house, it would have been 2 stops (Tractor Supply and O'Rieley's). I have yet to figure out why I always forget about going to Tractor Supply first for small hardware items but I always end up there for my last stop for whatever it is I need.

Sigh.....

Oh well, now to go put all this together and see if it works. :lol:
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:17 pm

When you go to put the barbed fitting through the gas cap, use 1 size smaller drill bit than your barb, and then after you drill through the cap stroke the thing around until the platic that you drilled through becomes malleable, this can be done more easily with a dull drill bit(lest you bore the hole too big).
Immediately force your barb through the warmed up plastic with a sledge hammer, the plastic won't snap if it is warmed, and you will end up with a mechanical seal on the barbed fitting once it cools down.

Done it twice this way and they both work great.

Be sure you don't put your inline filter on the wrong direction(did that once too).

I am suprised the Walmart there doesnt have the hose assemblies right next to the boat gas tanks, BTW.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby CapSmashy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:26 am

The Wally World I stopped at didn't even have marine gas tanks.

For my gas cap, I used a 1/4" barbed fitting coming out the top that mounted into a 1/2" reducing nut (barbed fitting screws into the center of the reducing nut) with an o ring and the flat rubber washer inside the lid.

I pressure tested it and had no leaks.

Of course, after all of that yesterday, I failed to buy enough hose clamps to finish it out.

Sigh.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby crstophr » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:53 pm

Captain,

I have a couple of questions for you about your generator maintenance on the playa.

1.) Do you worry about the oil change interval out there? 50-100 hours is spec. I'm considering running full synthetic oil and going the full 9 days without changing oil. We'll be running them prolly 18 hours a day, but may end up being 24/7. even at 100 hours it's only 4 days... I'm not relishing the thought of doing a good, moop free, oil change out there but will plan for it if necessary.

2.) how often do you clean or swap the air filters?

3.) do you use a fuel filter inline on your extended run tank? Ever had any fuel or carb issues?

Thanks for the gennie advice. We're doing a parallel setup and extended tank this year.
crstophr

Honda2000

Postby kingtom » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:49 am

What are you powering with your Honda 2000?I have a 22ft motor home with a built in Onan 4000 that powers the A/C and everything else, but I also have a Honda 2000 that is great, it's quite and uses 75% less fuel then the Onan.I was think about bring it, it won't power the Colman A/C, but I only plan on running the A/C for no more then 2hre a day and using the Honda for 4 to 6hrs. What do you think?
kingtom

Next

Return to Power & Illumination