Glowies, Blinkies, UVies & Other Illuminations

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Postby Martiansky » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:47 pm

I found some cool combo flashlites at May-nerd's the other day!
They have 4 different settings:
Flashlight/flaslight&redlight/red light/ blinkie red light (+off)
A 3 pack for $10! Made by LifeGear
Martiansky

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Postby robotland » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:59 pm

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/8db4/

Neat little unit...lots of colors and modes in one package!
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby erbal » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:43 am

My local store has started stocking these cool gadgets - clip-on plasma lightning for a tenner :D

erbal

Postby Bexx » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:02 pm

if anyone by chance happens to stop by that maus haus in Anaheim they've got CARTS of awesome blinky, glowy stuff! and for not bad prices either!
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!
Bexx

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Postby socks » Mon May 09, 2011 8:12 pm

Try the 99 cent stores for led lights and flashlights for cheap.
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence
socks

Postby FIGJAM » Tue May 10, 2011 8:53 am

I was just at harbor fraight today and they had 50 led solar rope lights for $11.99!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby TinkerMom » Tue May 10, 2011 5:49 pm

Our dollar store had solar garden path lights. I say had, because I bought them all! They will fit perfect on my rebar all around our camp.
....the password is pineapple.........

Just throw it on the fire! It will kill it or cure it!!
TinkerMom

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity BDC

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed May 11, 2011 3:50 am

TinkerMom wrote:Our dollar store had solar garden path lights. I say had, because I bought them all! They will fit perfect on my rebar all around our camp.

Yep, I am trying this too! Should be perfect, and perfectly charming with a short section of leftover PVC pipe and a bouquet of Barbie dolls...

:D
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby Super Evil Brian » Wed May 11, 2011 9:10 am

MyDearFriend wrote:
TinkerMom wrote:Our dollar store had solar garden path lights. I say had, because I bought them all! They will fit perfect on my rebar all around our camp.

Yep, I am trying this too! Should be perfect, and perfectly charming with a short section of leftover PVC pipe and a bouquet of Barbie dolls...

:D

I bought a bunch of them also (they worked very well beach camping!) but I never thought about usig them over the rebar. The plastic stake comes out of the bottom of the stainless steel tube, perfect!

And they'll be in a good place to add some ambient light and prevent a (sober person) tripping hazard.

I should get a few more.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Danger is funny
Super Evil Brian

Camp Name: Journeylizm

full propane

Postby daft » Mon May 16, 2011 6:39 pm

Strap it on your rear bumper so you take out the guy behind you. Seriously I would at least get an empty one and fill it in Reno or any city outside of the desert.
daft

Postby Foxfur » Wed May 18, 2011 8:35 am

I found blue EL wire on ebay for, dig this, $1 per meter, OR, $0.33 per foot. AND it's shipped from Arizona. No waiting on that damned slow boat from china. I splurged and bought 30 meters. $41 delivered.

BLUE EL WIRE RAW BY THE METER MAKE YOUR OWN LIGHT ITEMS
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0661845858

Also ordered 2 40 foot inverters, $14 delivered.

El wire Tron suit/room 3v inverter
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0664790140

I was sweating it on the $1-$2 per foot at a few sites. Now I'll be able to build my project and save money for gas.

The inverted prices, $41 & $14, obviously mean something. Think I'll call Dan Brown...
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Camp Name: Camp Foxfur @ 2:45 & C

Postby rgk » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:56 am

Does anyone have an opinion on these LED gloves? Do they stand up to tough use? Do they work for a decent amount of time? How's battery life?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-White-Tip-LED ... 8263dab608
rgk

Re: Glowies, Blinkies, UVies & Other Illuminations

Postby Rusted Iron » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:18 pm

I found solar rope light at Home Depot that appears to be a lot sturdier than the Harbor Frieght lights. It costs more, of course. $24.99 for 16 feet. It is quite bright.
Rusted Iron

Postby eureka » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:14 am

I'm a first timer and am (attempting) to make some Tron-esque costumes...

I am keen to try using industrial strength glow paint (http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=11) instead of El-wire. I would love to use El-strips but they are bit expensive and I have no experience with electrics... but I still want to get that thick, blocky look to the lighted panels.

Sooo... my plan is to cut the pattern out of white fabric, paint them with glow paint, then sew the pieces onto the black suit.

My questions are... will heavy duty glow paint only work under black light? Or will it glow outside as well? How do you think lights from camps etc. affect it? Does anyone have experience with industrial quality glow paint at Burning Man?

Thanks!
eureka

Postby PurplMyst » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:40 pm

From my experience with glow paint; yes it will really "pop" in blacklight. After light exposure (the brighter the better) it'll glow on it's own. However the glow does fade and doesn't ever really look like it's own light source. Your glow paint effect will look the best in an area with blacklights or darker areas where the glow can stand out & not get washed out with other ambient light.
"Those who danced were thought quite insane by those who did not hear the music"
PurplMyst

Burning Since: 2004

Postby eureka » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:22 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I am also considering reflective tape (e.g. http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2732934/) which I know will look great as long as there are bright light sources around... do you think having enough external light sources to make reflective tape 'pop' is something that I can expect out on the playa?
eureka

Postby BBadger » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:48 am

You might want to consider using some portable fluorescent black lights or UV LEDs to create a black light aura around you, and then use fluorescent paint on black fabric so that it really stands out. Supplement that with some EL wire (for line details), and maybe some reflective tape for accent.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Foxfur » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:34 am

eureka wrote:I'm a first timer and am (attempting) to make some Tron-esque costumes...

I am keen to try using industrial strength glow paint (http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=11) instead of El-wire. I would love to use El-strips but they are bit expensive and I have no experience with electrics... but I still want to get that thick, blocky look to the lighted panels.

Sooo... my plan is to cut the pattern out of white fabric, paint them with glow paint, then sew the pieces onto the black suit.

My questions are... will heavy duty glow paint only work under black light? Or will it glow outside as well? How do you think lights from camps etc. affect it? Does anyone have experience with industrial quality glow paint at Burning Man?

Thanks!

Hi Eureka,
Prewired EL units are great. They'll have 5 to 10 feet already run to a connector that plugs right into the driver box.
Ebay has em for $10-$20.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Camp Name: Camp Foxfur @ 2:45 & C

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:15 pm

eureka wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I am also considering reflective tape (e.g. http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2732934/) which I know will look great as long as there are bright light sources around... do you think having enough external light sources to make reflective tape 'pop' is something that I can expect out on the playa?

Don't expect anything out on the playa! If you need a light source for your outfit, figure out how to make one that you can wear with it. You can be in the middle of super bright lights one minute next to an art car and in super dim light the next after it moves away. If you want to be stuck on the Esplanade you might be fine, but if you want to wander the back streets & the outer playa you'll be in darkness.

Personally I'm moving more to cheap LED's than EL wire- I just hang a couple from my coat & I'm done. Just don't use the ones with a magnetic backing- they will fail. Guaranteed.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby BBadger » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:55 pm

You can also invest in some larger-scale electroluminescent lighting. It'll cost you, but it may have the effect you want.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby PurplMyst » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:03 pm

Reflective tape is pretty neat alternative, get the most reflective stuff you can find and your design will definitely pop out with any ambient light. 1" Red and white tapes are usually available in local auto parts stores and some websites have tapes in different thicknesses or even sheets.

I'm kinda a nut for the glow-in-the-dark stuff personally. I have a few outfits that glow & I bring small lights to help give 'em a boost if needed. My fav is a 9-LED mini flashlight, but strategically placed single LED lights work well too.
"Those who danced were thought quite insane by those who did not hear the music"
PurplMyst

Burning Since: 2004

Postby Workinonit » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:53 pm

eureka wrote:I'm a first timer and am (attempting) to make some Tron-esque costumes...

Thanks!

You can use UV Glow paint. There is a lot of options out there... I have used mostly face paints (grease, water, and latex based), but latex paints would work on clothing too as I have experience with getting latex on my clothes and it NEVER coming off! There is a lot of options for non-face paint paints. The ones I have and use are these:
http://www.blacklight.com/items/WF161-6PK

There are plenty of UV lights out on the playa but you are best to only rely on yourself to light YOU up. You could certainly find some multi UV-LED flashlights and build a little pack to wear with antennas that stick out in front of you and shine on your outfit... but I would say you are not going to find anything in a box to do what you want...Here is a plethora that you might use:
http://www.blacklight.com/blacklight/searchitems/?SearchView&Query=flashlight&SearchWV=1&SearchFuzzy=75

I use 4 UV LEDs on antennas pointed at my face to light up my face. Just keep in mind with lights pointing at you or in your face, its like having a flashlight in your face when its very dark out. Making it hard to see...
This was lit up with a blacklight but with the antenna's it works pretty good (check out my kickstarter link at the bottom for a video of the antenna's being used). Found some UV tooth paint recently, can't wait to try it out!
You could certainly find some multi UV-LED flashlights and build a little pack to wear with antennas that stick out in front of you and shine on your outfit... but I would say you are not going to find anything in a box to do what you want...
As always...
Workinonit!

Check out my Burning Man 2011 Art Project!
www.tunneloflights.com
www.twitter.com/TToQE
http://kck.st/eDaZyQ
Workinonit

Postby eureka » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:27 pm

That face paint looks awesome!

Thanks for all your feedback. After spending a few days thinking on it I've decided there nothing like actually being 'lit up' so have purchased 15ft pre wired EL-wire off ebay. I'm going to sew reflective fabric/vinyl (the type you see on construction vests) onto a jacket and then thread the El-wire behind that to give a diffused glow. So that way we will still look tron-esq even without the El-wire going.

Wish me luck!
eureka

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:05 pm

Got this the other day from Extreme Glow, which has been my main go-to place for LED's and lights for years now. They missed the cut-off for JRS but still want Burners to get a discount, so this is the code for 10% off (and their spiel). AntiM, I think it's okay if I post it as a recommendation, but it not feel free to remove everything you need to.

Simply enter the code: BM26EG11 into the coupon box prior to submitting your order with Extreme Glow and receive 10% off of your product total immediately. Here are a few high points to know about this code:

- This code is only good online and cannot be honored for phone sales

- This code is good from July 7th through August 28th, 2011

- This is a one time use code

- We cannot issue rain checks on this code if it is not used within the timeframe and manner laid out above

- Our intention for this code is that it be used by Burners only. We cannot stop the proliferation of the code across various internet coupon sites or message boards, but we offer other deals and coupons to the general public.

On that last one- who but Burners reads this board, right? :)

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby illy dilly » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:35 pm

eureka wrote:That face paint looks awesome!

Thanks for all your feedback. After spending a few days thinking on it I've decided there nothing like actually being 'lit up' so have purchased 15ft pre wired EL-wire off ebay. I'm going to sew reflective fabric/vinyl (the type you see on construction vests) onto a jacket and then thread the El-wire behind that to give a diffused glow. So that way we will still look tron-esq even without the El-wire going.

Wish me luck!

A lot of that reflective stuff is opaque on the back. It might not shine through.

Also, a buddy of ours wore a construction vest last year, none of the pictures of him came out. The flash would reflect off of the vest and 'over expose' the shot. I'd go with the day glow colored fabric and a couple of the UV LEDs. They are pretty cheap on ebay. You'd just have to run them to a 3v DC.
There is currently 1 sale going for a pack of 20, they are not wired to anything, so you could do what ever you want with them.
Shit, they pull such lower power you could even use a pair out of some Cat3/5/6. Then just twist them together and electrical tape it.

Check out http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34307&p=688346#p688346
There is currently a discussion involving glowing 'anything' going on.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby shimmentakezo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:40 pm

I'm going to make a luminescent cloak this year so I can wear it out on the playa at night. I was thinking of a cool insignia on the back, kind of like the art style of a lot of black metal bands. It probably won't have anything to do with black metal seeing as how I'm slowly growing out of it, but I love the way those logos look.

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/attac ... 1179655459

Now I'm sure not all of the intricacies can be expressed with just EL. Maybe some sort of UV paint would work? I'm not sure.

Anyway I figured using this EL material would be the most realistic. However I am wondering, are those drivers/inverters that come with it standalone power sources? Do they take batteries?
shimmentakezo

Postby Bounce530 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:08 pm

Sweet! Thanks for the coupon code Eric!! Time for another order! woooo!!
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby shimmentakezo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:59 pm

The video on this page featuring the tiny LED light is hilarious!

http://www.extremeglow.com/Merchant4/me ... ry_Code=BL

don't ponder on it too long.
shimmentakezo

Postby ricochet » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:40 pm

Consider PC mod LEDs for body art. They run off 12V, which means an 8-pack of AA batteries will last with several of them for at least a few nights.

http://www.xoxide.com/lazerled.html

Not sure the UV ones will really light up a lot, but they're worth checking out. I especially like that these are flat so you can hide them under whatever you're wearing.
ricochet

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:41 pm

ricochet wrote:Consider PC mod LEDs for body art. They run off 12V, which means an 8-pack of AA batteries will last with several of them for at least a few nights.

http://www.xoxide.com/lazerled.html

Not sure the UV ones will really light up a lot, but they're worth checking out. I especially like that these are flat so you can hide them under whatever you're wearing.

What kind of adapter would you have to use to make them wearable? They're designed to hook into PC/car/boat power sources.

The UV ones are for blacklight- they'd work great with fluorescent paints.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

PreviousNext

Return to Power & Illumination