Glowies, Blinkies, UVies & Other Illuminations

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Postby Sham » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:17 pm

A trip to Target today, found very cool strings of battery powered Christmas lights. Lots of different ones to choose from. Some strings are all the same color and some blinks and flash. Just one string of 20 lights will illuminate the dimmest darkwad! They were around $7 each.
Sham

Postby Snow » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:24 pm

found some great bat. LED strings at home depot. The LED's are Very thin and a different type than your usual sting of LED's. They even had them encased in ribbon, beads etc. The controllers have 4 functions (on, blink, fade and a really cool one)
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Shambala wrote:A trip to Target today, found very cool strings of battery powered Christmas lights. Lots of different ones to choose from. Some strings are all the same color and some blinks and flash. Just one string of 20 lights will illuminate the dimmest darkwad! They were around $7 each.

Fuck Target!!! This is October, not late November. Hell, yesterday it was September. Why are they doing this? I'd say "is nothing sacred?" but it's my policy not to say that cause it might make me look like a moron. But really! This is obscene.*

And not in a good way.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Snow » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:49 pm

I forgot to mention in the post above, the lights were in the christmas section.

I feel you. When I was getting ready to leave for the playa (I was out there a week early mind you), I was hoping to find a super early halloween section at a store and was abhorred to see christmas stuff on the shelf. This had to be mid August, WTF
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby Sham » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:13 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Shambala wrote:A trip to Target today, found very cool strings of battery powered Christmas lights. Lots of different ones to choose from. Some strings are all the same color and some blinks and flash. Just one string of 20 lights will illuminate the dimmest darkwad! They were around $7 each.

Fuck Target!!! This is October, not late November. Hell, yesterday it was September. Why are they doing this? I'd say "is nothing sacred?" but it's my policy not to say that cause it might make me look like a moron. But really! This is obscene.*

And not in a good way.

I agree, but keep in mind that these retailers live for Christmas to make any profit. If we can snag a few good strings of non-Christmas looking Christmas lights now, why not? That price is so cheap, that I think its less than just the shipping if you order on line.
Yes, fuck Target, but fuck Walmart MORE! (feel free to quote me)

Hugs and kisses,
Sham...
Sham

Postby Elorrum » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:48 pm

seeing some new generation Christmas lights this year. Color changing... a string of lights where the color of each "bulb" either icycle, or regular bulb shape, changes, much more than a simple chase program... very cool, but in the 80 dollar range, and of course running off AC. Would love to play a bit with one of these. strings of lights for patios are clearancing now.
Elorrum

Postby weirdscience » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:55 pm

i found some what i hope to be cheap el wire online http://www.beatdropscloset.com/EL-Wire-s/342.htm
Who's awesome? You're awesome! :) .
weirdscience

Postby ygmir » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:17 pm

Shambala wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

And not in a good way.

I agree, but keep in mind that these retailers live for Christmas to make any profit. If we can snag a few good strings of non-Christmas looking Christmas lights now, why not? That price is so cheap, that I think its less than just the shipping if you order on line.
Yes, fuck Target, but fuck Walmart MORE! (feel free to quote me)

Hugs and kisses,
Sham...

WOW
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:20 pm

weirdscience wrote:i found some what i hope to be cheap el wire online http://www.beatdropscloset.com/EL-Wire-s/342.htm

Uhhh that's not cheap. That's expensive. Go to coolneon.com. It's like $1.30/foot there, and they'll give you 10% off everything, too.

If you're trying to get a pre soldered kit, check eBay. It's under $10 for a 10 foot kit.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby weirdscience » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:26 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
weirdscience wrote:i found some what i hope to be cheap el wire online http://www.beatdropscloset.com/EL-Wire-s/342.htm

Uhhh that's not cheap. That's expensive. Go to coolneon.com. It's like $1.30/foot there, and they'll give you 10% off everything, too.

If you're trying to get a pre soldered kit, check eBay. It's under $10 for a 10 foot kit.
ok wow thank you
weirdscience

Postby Sham » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:45 pm

I am starting to find some amazing sets of color changing LED lights. A 12 foot stings of "light show" bulbs uses just 12 watts of power. A tiny inverter plugged into a car power port will light an entire camp. 10 sets of these can be powered with a small inverter and no genrator sound. Also, think of clear LED bulbs for lighting tent spaces.
Sham

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:51 am

C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Sham » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:07 pm

I wanted to bring this up again since the window for getting these lights is starting to close. Christmas time gives the best selection of LED lights and they are pretty cheap.
Consider multiple strings of large clear LED lights for lighting up your camp. These use just 4 watts of power per string of 20. You can light the entire camp off one of those cheap-o 100 watt car inverters.
Once Christmas season is over, these light will be gone!

Sham

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:17 pm

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby SilverOrange » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:02 am

http://www.instructables.com/id/Flexible-Auminum-Electroluminescent-Display-No-T/

Really cool instructable! Something new for burners to play with. Not as bright as EL wire or side glow fiber, but it's still new.
SilverOrange

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:22 am

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby standardalias » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:10 am

[quote="SilverOrange"][url]http://www.instructables.com/id/Flexible-Auminum-Electroluminescent-Display-No-T/[/url]

Really cool instructable! Something new for burners to play with. Not as bright as EL wire or side glow fiber, but it's still new.[/quote]

thanks, that looks really nifty.
standardalias

Postby brushfire on the playa » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:27 pm

I found some EL-wire a bit cheaper online, priced somewhere around $12.99 for 10ft (battery operated). I haven't ordered it yet so I can't vouch for its effectiveness yet, but it's the cheapest EL-wire I have found in my early quests for Burning Man lighting.
(I posted the link in a thread titled "Another EL-wire question..." in the Q&A section of eplaya, if you're interested)
Happy glow hunting! :D
i'm on the playa, bitch!

bigger and better next year, every year...
brushfire on the playa

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Miso Horny

Postby gyre » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:43 pm

http://4sevens.com/

Anyone used these?
Someone recommended them to me.
They look like the spiritual successor to the great ones on LED Museum by Arc.
I particularly like the 1000 lumen LED mentioned!!!

http://www.ledmuseum.org/
Please contribute to this one man webhouse.
He doesn't break even and does an amazing job.

Arc flashlight
gyre

Postby gyre » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:48 pm

I need another 3 watt headlamp.
I set mine down and it vanished and I don't know if it will turn up.
I use it every day, but moving now and need it badly.
Some rooms don't have power now.

It was a brinkmann and I can't find another one.
Any suggestions?
Has anyone used the Cabela brand lights?
gyre

Postby gyre » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:06 pm

gyre

Postby AntiM » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:30 pm

Day after Christmas, Target had many, many solar light strands and nets, even icicles, on half price. Yay! I got red, blue, and cool white lights.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

for the glow stringers

Postby weirdscience » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:08 pm

saw this video today its a good idea :) also good for lighting yourself up and not being a darkwad
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMAWv-gyEoA[/youtube]
weirdscience

Postby moonrise » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:36 am

Interesting WS, are you going to try that at BM????

I like the last part of the vid; maybe we can microwave glow stix in RV's with elaborate kitchens (junglesmacks is gonna love this, Uh-Oh)

I'm sticking with "pin LED blinkies" myself; set on "flash mode" batteries can last all week in "flash mode" changing tiny batteries was NOT an option for me, yikes

(there's a blinkie, LED, glow stix thread WS, AntiM might end up moving this there...duck n run! LOL, ok w/me to delete this if ya choose to M)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby weirdscience » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:07 am

i would love to try it at bm but alas i cant go this year my job sucks and moneys a hard thing to come by
weirdscience

Postby lucky420 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:21 am

oh no! The year is still young ws, hopefully you can scrimp, save, pick up extra job, sell stuff, sell blood and get your butt out here....
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby moonrise » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:54 pm

weirdscience wrote:i would love to try it at bm but alas i cant go this year my job sucks and moneys a hard thing to come by

Hmmm, I think something can be done. I don't know the how what when but BM is more than just a big party, I won't go into it here. You seem well liked, the pretty girls will show up later and get free tickets, LOL, I say you buy a ticket Jan 19th and look into the rest later, you can always sell it if you must.
Or perhaps other options I cannot think of alone...

Lucky is right, are you a rare blood type? No laughing, I'm serious.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby weirdscience » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:11 pm

i think im A+

plus it doesnt help that i dont own ANY camping supplies
weirdscience

Postby moonrise » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:39 pm

I'll PM ya, this isn't the right thread for this
moonrise

Postby gyre » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:12 pm

A WARNING from the LED Museum
Watch out for LEDs that warn not to use lithium batteries with them.
Some can not handle the voltage.

I ordered a Coast Lenser and a Dorcy headlamp.
The Dorcy is traditional with a hot spot in the center.
I initially hated the Lenser and preferred the Dorcy when testing.
When I tried them in total darkness however, the irritation of the hot center spot changed my mind.

The Lenser uses an optical focus, with the attendant distortion and color shift.
Extremely poor used in a lit room, but quite seamless in darkness.
I am still very disappointed in the width of the flood, but it is bright.
I still find it far less annoying than the hot spot style.
I will compare it to the 'hourglass' style flood I got from home depot made by brinkmann.
The Lenser has full brightness adjustment.
I don't know if it is resistor dimming or digital.
The lamp is quite small and light and uses a rear battery pack, unfortunately AAAs.
$42 with shipping on amazon.
Be sure to get the latest model.
There are many lesser models for sale.
The rechargeable model does not seem to be a good deal.
Coast H7 Lenser 7497

The Dorcy is a basic style with one dimming function.
Supposed to be as bright but I don't think so.
A good deal at $22, shipped free with the other lamp.
I'll be returning it.
Very like my old brinkmann.
gyre

PreviousNext

Return to Power & Illumination