Need tips on how to keep dust out of electronics

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Need tips on how to keep dust out of electronics

Postby licious d » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:25 pm

Hey everybody this is my first year and my friends and I will be bringing some DJ gear out for our camp. I've seen many pictures of people with their gear out there and what I am wondering is how is dust kept out? As this can completely jack up equipment.

I thought about saran wrapping or just keeping them in gallon sized zip lock bags..

We are bringing out Pioneer 400 cdjs and mixer as well as a cheap amp

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks! :D
lil dub @ gNome dome!!
licious d
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:36 am
Location: broomfield colorado

Postby Stickygreen » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:34 pm

be one with the playa, embrace it, and learn to love it. It will love you in return.

also bring some compressed air, to blow that shit out when it needs it.
)'(
User avatar
Stickygreen
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:17 pm
Location: Vancouver

Postby danibel » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:10 pm

If it is something you could not bear getting ruined, don't bring it. Perhaps another DJ will chime in with more tips on after care, but I use this general rule for everything I bring and that way I am not upset when something gets permanently playafied.
User avatar
danibel
 
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Ben Lomond, CA
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Re: Need tips on how to keep dust out of electronics

Postby Trishntek » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:15 pm

licious d wrote:Hey everybody this is my first year and my friends and I will be bringing some DJ gear out for our camp. I've seen many pictures of people with their gear out there and what I am wondering is how is dust kept out? As this can completely jack up equipment.

I thought about saran wrapping or just keeping them in gallon sized zip lock bags..

We are bringing out Pioneer 400 cdjs and mixer as well as a cheap amp

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks! :D


Dood ya oughta check the threads before posting a new one:

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=39985
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
User avatar
Trishntek
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:27 pm
Location: Ventura, CA, USA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Elderberry » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:59 pm

Trishntek wrote:
licious d wrote:Hey everybody this is my first year and my friends and I will be bringing some DJ gear out for our camp. I've seen many pictures of people with their gear out there and what I am wondering is how is dust kept out? As this can completely jack up equipment.

I thought about saran wrapping or just keeping them in gallon sized zip lock bags..

We are bringing out Pioneer 400 cdjs and mixer as well as a cheap amp

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks! :D


Dood ya oughta check the threads before posting a new one:

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=39985

Better be careful, you saw what happened to Ygmir when he suggested somebody do their homework! :twisted:
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
 
Posts: 13211
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Palm Springs
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Bob » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:09 pm

jkisha wrote:
Trishntek wrote:
licious d wrote:Hey everybody this is my first year and my friends and I will be bringing some DJ gear out for our camp. I've seen many pictures of people with their gear out there and what I am wondering is how is dust kept out? As this can completely jack up equipment.

I thought about saran wrapping or just keeping them in gallon sized zip lock bags..

We are bringing out Pioneer 400 cdjs and mixer as well as a cheap amp

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks! :D


Dood ya oughta check the threads before posting a new one:

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=39985

Better be careful, you saw what happened to Ygmir when he suggested somebody do their homework! :twisted:


I don't think the dude with the Volkswagen was a deejay.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby licious d » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:20 am

ahh yeah i should have totally jumped the gun though..thanks for the thread
lil dub @ gNome dome!!
licious d
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:36 am
Location: broomfield colorado

Postby Bob » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:07 am

Google is often better than the native search engine. Add 'site:eplaya.burningman.com' to your search terms.

Disclaimer: Advice may not be applicable after tonight's eplaya upgrade.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Savannah » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:31 am

Whoa. That's a good idea, Bob. :lol:
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 11431
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:57 pm

a rule of thumb, my young dj friend is to send the piece of equipment thru the dishwasher.

if it survives, you're all good.


otherwise, be prepared for the WORST

playa dust does god awful things to electronics, with or without moving parts.


be ready to kiss those little pioneers goodbye.


trust me, i have first hand experience in this matter.
Rated East Coast Fucko, this by no means represents BM or its org...its just some crotchety old fuck





Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 15944
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Mojojita » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:28 pm

Keep it wrapped up or build it a cozy. The real answer is don't bring anything you can't afford to lose to the dust.
User avatar
Mojojita
 
Posts: 1143
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:17 am
Location: Under your bed

Postby gyre » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:51 pm

If you're handy, you can apply comformal coating directly to circuit boards.

I like clear silicone conformal coating.

Some equipment can be heat sinked and sealed.

Dielectric grease can be used on contacts on plugs.


Everyone loves djs.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby essjay » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:17 pm

I've taken that type of equipment out there many years. If it is outside for 5 minutes, count on it being covered in a very fine dust - it will get everywhere. And, the advice given about not taking anything out there that you can't handle being destroyed is correct.

That said, I've found that my powered speakers do just fine. My mixers have also survived without any problems. However, my CDJs made it through two years, but I lost one on its third year out. (Eject mechanism failed and optic stopped reading correctly). I have not tried to bring a laptop outside on the playa - that stays in the RV in its case and in an extra large Ziploc.

Cover your gear with plastic (extra large Ziploc/plastic over speakers) when not in use.

When you get home, clean it the best you can and hope everything still works.
essjay
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:17 pm
Location: Vegas

Re: Need tips on how to keep dust out of electronics

Postby licious d » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:39 pm

hmmm yeah im still debating on how to do this...i have a lot of gear but i dont know how comfortable i am with losing a $1400 set up haha

another idea I had was to maybe keep the gear inside the rv and spin out of that while the speakers played outside :)
i think this would keep a considerable amount of dust out..and whatever i can do to help protect it should be ok right??

thank you guys for all the advice!!
lil dub @ gNome dome!!
licious d
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:36 am
Location: broomfield colorado

Re: Need tips on how to keep dust out of electronics

Postby ale_fresh » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:41 pm

you're onto a good idea running the amp through an RV. I took a full dj set up a few years back. I ran 2 amps out of my jeep with extension cords and just parked in the back of our dome and ran the cords underneath. Worked great.

my speakers had stands (good to keep them elevated), and I covered them (using a staple gun) with a lycra material which I picked up from a fabric store (shiny silver too!!) that kept the dust accumulation to a minimun and I had no problems. the speakers worked great when i sold them...

as you already heard, compressed air works pretty good to keep the dust retention low while you are playing. The technics 1200's speak for themselves. they are robust and ready for the job. CDj's...mmm idk-- a bit dicey. and it doesn't surprise to hear that they have died on the playa.

fyi- i sent a CDJ 1000 into pionneer in CA for service to replace the laser assembly- cost me about $300.
ale_fresh
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:22 pm


Return to Power & Illumination

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests