led's to music?

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

led's to music?

Postby ellorbito » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:01 am

Does anybody know how to sync led's to music? All the resources I have found have been for a limited number of lights....like for computers and speakers. We are looking to encapsulate our MV in led's and are wondering how to do it on a large scale.
Burning Since: 2008

Postby AntiM » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:08 am

Find out how the folks with massive Christmas displays do it. I see the set ups in home improvement stores every year.
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Elorrum » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:18 am

I've made a couple of simple kits: look for "light organ", or color organ" these were activated by either a line-in input from a sound source, or some smaller versions use a microphone. I'm not sure what your power supply will be. I made one that uses 110AC and then I wired 3 regular outlets to plug strings of light into for low, mid, and high tone ranges. Basically they dim or brighten, and flash as a whole string as volume goes up and down. http://www.canakit.com/3-channel-ac-col ... uk185.html

For sequencing lights to music, you'll enter territory I haven't travelled in.
Jungle smacks has a thread as well for light controller work he is doing.

then if you are really computer savvy.. as in programming... you can look into arduino boards. I know nothing here, just repeating something I've heard of.
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket (BDV)

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:40 am

I was watching some videos I shot of Bliss Dance at night and I swear it was synched to the sounds of the playa. I didn't even notice when I was out there that it was doing that. You might ask them to see how they did it. (the lighting was really complex though)
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Led stuff

Postby ellorbito » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:51 pm

Thanks for the tips and the prompt replies. I feel lost and appreciate the guidance. Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated as well. Keep em coming!
Burning Since: 2008

Return to Power & Illumination