Batteries vs. Generators

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

so many watts

Postby daveclay » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:06 pm

The LEDs are super bright SMDs on custom programmable modules called "megabrites" from macetech.com. In theory, they won't run 300mA the whole night, since they're doing PWM, and most of the time idle at around 100mA.

What about the 6V batteries and 12V charge controllers? The modules require 6-9V; I'm worried about burning out the voltage regulators if I have to use 12V directly.

Also: Wow, nice active list. This is also my first burn, so I'm kinda throwing myself into it.
daveclay

Re: battery vs. generator

Postby Just_Joe » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:07 pm

daveclay wrote:I'm struggling with the decision for my art project as well...
The biggest problem I've run into is that there aren't any solar chargers that take 12V input and charge 6V batteries.

Series two 6V's together to take the 12V charge during the day and break them up at night when it's go time.
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: ABC (Alphabet Block Camp)

Postby Token » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:36 pm

Since you look like an Arduino, EAGLE & soldering iron kind of guy, maybe you contact this cool cat:

http://www.solorb.com/elect/solarcirc/s ... index.html

He has a 20A solar charger kit that he or you might be able to configure for a single 6V golf cart battery.

Probably need a different Zener, some resistors, the float voltage trimmer and fuse.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Previous

Return to Power & Illumination