Power Plan

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Postby kman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:14 pm

ConnieH wrote:
Popobumm wrote:I ordered these lights:

http://www.extremeglow.com/Merchant4/me ... Code=SOLAR

They look like exactly what you guys are mentioning and are solar powered. I'm not sure if $25 for 35 ft is a good price or not, but I went ahead and got a couple mainly to line our hexayurt stakes and ropes so people can see them at night.

I paid more than that for my solar LED rope light (100 lights I believe), and was slightly disappointed when I got it charged and up - it's a bit dim. So I opened up the battery pack and found that there is only 1 AA rechargable battery inside, not enough in my opinion to run that many lights. That was my first solar light purchase, and it spurred great interest in lighting/batteries/solar, etc... My point is, your string may work great, but since they don't tell you how many batteries are in it, you won't know until it arrives. My rope light is dim, but still works great for a "guiding light" on our playa home and does last all night.

Popobumm: Let me know how those lights work out. That's not a bad price for a 35' string of 153 lights with programmable routines. I do worry that it's being pushed by 1 AA battery, however (I called and confirmed). I wonder if there is a way to jury-rig a better system by replacing their single AA with a two better-quality rechargeable AAs? Perhaps mounted parallel (not in series) to keep the voltage the same, if there's room?
kman

Postby kman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:16 pm

Homiesinheaven wrote:i would also like to add to be careful with Solar powered xmas lights. i spent $30 on two sets last year and one never fully charged and the other was way too dim to be any good. maybe the more expensive ones are better but my experience was a waste of time and money.

On the other hand, the two strings my buddy picked up last year are great. He just grabbed them from some random shop in Hong Kong on eBay, so who knows what they are.

I wonder how much better a high quality PowerEx AA battery would do in these things, instead of whatever crap they're using now.
kman

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:24 pm

Swapping to better rechargeables makes a huge difference. Our best solar strings came from Target.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Previous

Return to Power & Illumination