Wet cell batteries on the playa

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Wet cell batteries on the playa

Postby teardropper » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:20 pm

I'll be bringing my 64watt PV solar panel to power the lights and stufff at the bar. I use 225 ah 6v golf cart batteries and an inverter. My question is about the batteries. These are regular flooded cell lead acid batteries. My battery box is vented and so are the batteries. Has anyone had any problems with dust in the batteries? Are there any special precautions I need to take? I used a single 12v AGM sealed battery last year, but need the power of the big batteries and the solar panel this year. What's your experience?
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby dinks » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:57 pm

I would assume most of the electric golf carts on the playa are running a similar battery. Are each of the batteries in their own box or ??
dinks

Postby teardropper » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:22 pm

Yeah, I was pretty sure someone was using them. They are in one box.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby phil » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:24 pm

I've used a wet-cell 12V battery on the playa for a few years with no apparent effects. I keep in in a plastic box with vents - the kind they sell to keep your battery in an RV.
phil

Postby motskyroonmatick » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:38 pm

If heat build up is not an issue I would just cover your battery bank with a heavy cloth or maybe an old wool blanket. An old sheet might work. Tuck it in around the edges and it should be good.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Return to Power & Illumination