power shoping

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

power shoping

Postby sightfuleyes » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:20 pm

i was doing some searching through posts about popular generatores used so I decided to check out the honda models. google came back with this as an alternative and with it being 500 less than the Honda reliability comes to mind.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PZAP-DIGITAL-INVERT ... dZViewItem

has any one used this or has any knoledge of this brand? Springing for the honda would not be easy but not hard either

Postby gyre » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:59 pm

It doesn't say where it's from.
Probably chinese.
Note the low dc output.

What do you want to do with it?

You may find info about it on a forum somewhere?
RV or electric related.

Postby MikeVDS » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:39 pm

Can you even buy the honda eu1000 anymore? You can find the eu2000 for around $800 used and they are great. If you're only going to use it for burningman you might try out the cheapie. If it's not reliable, what kind of problems will it cause? Is it worth the risk?
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Postby Kinetik V » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:08 pm

Yes you can buy the eu1000i...it's still available as I've seen them on the shelves out here in Cornland as recently as last week.

I understand the need to cut costs but sometimes you do get what you pay for. I've had my eu2000i for several years now and I've put it through hell. Using Captain Goddammit's extended fuel tank idea I've had mine run for 8 days straight at 80% load for two consecutive burns (it didn't quit on me during the heavy dust storms either), I also had it run for 11 days nonstop during an ice storm. All I've had to do is clean the air filter and change the oil and with a flip of the choke and two pulls (usually just one pull) it starts. It's one rare piece of equipment that I can say has NEVER failed me.

My point to all that ranting is while pricey, the Honda is an investment. The power is clean enough to run laser printers or even satellite transmitters, and it's a real workhorse. Plus you can even link two of them together to handle heavier power needs without fuss. I looked around at all of the "quiet power" units...besides the Yamaha that's out there IMHO the Honda is one's best bet.

Another thing...if you look at the small generators in use on the art cars and powering the art projects on the playa over the past couple of years, you'll find more Honda generators than any other kind.
Kinetic V
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby gyre » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:56 pm

I like these for noise levels.
Probably higher than the honda though.

Postby phil » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:05 pm

Take a look at this article:
http://www.arrl.org/files/qst-binaries/ ... chmidt.pdf
and note the chart at the bottom of the first page. Good generator/inverter sets will produce 120V, 60Hz AC power with variations of 3% in voltage, 1% in frequency, and 3% sine wave distortion. Their unidentified cheap genset, according to the table, produced 157 VAC at no load, 15VAC at 500W load, and 149VAC at 1000W load. It may be that whatever you're running from your generator will take that voltage and not fry. The Honda EU2000i produced 126VAC no load, 124VAC into 500W, and 123VAC into 1000W. The frequency was 60Hz across the board, while the cheap one delivered 64Hz at all loads.

If your Pzap is comparable to the cheap one tested by ARRL, what will happen to your devices? Maybe nothing; read the device manuals to find out what they look for as to incoming power.

The other issue is noise. I think the EU2000i is offensively loud, although I'm assured it's quiet. The ARRL says it's 59dB at its rated load.

See if you can find specs for the Pzap, and also look for user reviews. Online stores like Amazon, OSH, or Harbor Freight may have user reviews and more information on the items they sell. Check out the Pzap on their Web sites.

Return to Power & Illumination