Yet another shade structure question

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Yet another shade structure question

Postby AfricanFire » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:43 am

Last time we went we took a full sized tipi as well as a small tent which was under a shared shade structure. This year I'm going solo and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to manage the tipi alone (those wooden poles are HEAVY). The tipi was awesome, but I have to be realistic.

So right now it is looking like I'll be taking the tent. But since I'm going solo I won't have a shared shade structure to use. I've been looking at the popular carports and those are an option, but I'd love any other ideas for cheapish, simple shade for someone who is not engineering minded AT ALL!

And a question about the EZ-ups - I know they are considered a no-no, but is that because people don't stake them down properly? Would they be functional with proper rebar anchors, and a rope thrown over the roof (width and length) which is also properly staked?

Thanks!
AfricanFire

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Astral Headwash formerly Kidsville

Re: Yet another shade structure question

Postby Sham » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:00 am

I'm thinking, what the heck is a tipi? Oh, a teepee!

If you do an easy-up tent, consider storing your water inside the four corners of the tent. The heavy 10 inch spikes are great and the extra anchor of the water works great. Also, if you have a car there, try to park it in such a way as to block the wind and the early morning sun. All indications are that it may be a bit dustier than usual, so plan accordingly. 8)
Sham

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:19 pm

Also...try to set up your camp near neighbors who look like they've got their shit together...shade structure. Become friends with them...share cookies and ice cold beer.

Look up Stag Camp (stagcamp.proboards.com). Wonderful group of vagabonds who have coalesced over the years, sharing shade, music, etc.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:29 pm

If by "properly" you mean "obsessively" the answer is maybe.

And you're going to get 100 Monkey Hut recommendations...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Papa Bear » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:22 pm

As far as true easy-ups go, I think the big issue is that if the wind does get to it, the metal lattice will get bent and the whole thing will be more or less destroyed.

Another option could be a large tarp (or camp netting) anchored down at the ends, and supported in the middle with poles. Most tents aren't that tall, so 8' poles might well be enough. For staking things down, you might consider FIGJAM's lag screw approach. That's what I'm doing for the yurt, so we'll have the impact wrench in camp anyway.

Of course, the offer to help set up the tipi still stands if you decide to go that route after all.
Papa Bear

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash, HeeBeeGeeBee Healers

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:20 pm

Seriously - don't try to reinvent the wheel - look at : http://www.chromatest.net/Lovemonkey/

It works, It's durable, it's easy to set up, and it is cheap.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Elorrum » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:21 pm

I used one of these, anchor well, tie out all the tie outs, and put a chair in the windward corner. 6 ft. high.
and finally the northpole shade
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
There’s no WIFI but you’ll surely make a better connection.
Elorrum

Postby ACfromSAC » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:52 am

Drawingablank wrote:Seriously - don't try to reinvent the wheel - look at : http://www.chromatest.net/Lovemonkey/

+1
ACfromSAC

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Postby Jovankat » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:27 am

Yep monkeyhuts FTW! You'll probably need a second person to bend the poles onto the rebar but asking a neighbour nicely should take care of that. And bonus, you get to meet a neighbour!
'STRAYA DAY: Australian Themed BBQ Party: Tues 2pm to 6pm at The Flamingo Trap
Also the official on playa meet up for Aussies and those that love them.
Jovankat

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: The Flamingo Trap

Postby socks2 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:04 pm

Go with a monkey hut

Thank you love monkey
socks2

Burning Since: 2002

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:40 pm

Jovankat wrote:Yep monkeyhuts FTW! You'll probably need a second person to bend the poles onto the rebar but asking a neighbour nicely should take care of that. And bonus, you get to meet a neighbour!

Although a helper makes it slightly easier, I can assemble or disassemble mine in about 10 minutes alone. Unless there is strong wind, in which case either wait or recruit some help.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby kowtow » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:14 am

I also have to agree. Monkey huts or variations of them are the way to go. Cheap, scale-able in size, flexible in design, relatively easy to put and can offer a very large shade structure.

My first erection! It wasn't difficult to put up alone as the PVC slipped over the hex bolts on the trailer and the one's threaded into the ground.

Decided for the playa I would construct a board that has all the necessary accouterments, so that all I have to do is secure the board to the playa using 4-6 14" x 5/8" lag bolts.

This is the ledger that's attached to the trailer with the 4, 5/8" x 6" hex bolts affixed.

Drawingablank wrote:
Seriously - don't try to reinvent the wheel - look at : http://www.chromatest.net/Lovemonkey/

I have to second the link to the chromatest site, it provided me everything I needed to know in detail, so that I could design my own.
DISCLAIMER - Kids please do not follow me on these forums for my grammar, punctuation, spelling or my general ill-use of the English language. Stay in school, adhere to abstinence, never drink or do cannabis. -kowtow
kowtow

Burning Since: 2014

Return to Shelter & Camping