Dome Cover for Camp Beaverton

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Dome Cover for Camp Beaverton

Postby SBgalaxy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:05 pm

Camp Beaverton needs a new dome cover. We would really like to buy one and not do a DIY job.

The dome is a 3v 5/8 15.537' 3/4 EMT Dome.
A = 5.416'
B = 6.270'
C = 6.407'
Diameter = 31.075
Height = 18.210
Floor Area = 672.622
Circumference = 97.625

Here is a website that specifies how the material needs to be sewn together...
http://www.domerama.com/calculators/cov ... esic-dome/

Any advice on companies that have produced solid dome covers would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Galaxy
SBgalaxy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Camp Beaverton

Re: Dome Cover for Camp Beaverton

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:54 pm

If you get in touch with stretch shapes in SF, they are very experienced in dome covers, though their main business is different.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby BBadger » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:25 pm

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Dome+Cover

Really. Go look.

What's even more amazing is that one of the places is almost equal distance from San Francisco, where you are, as from Beaverton, OR. It's like you two were made for each other. It'll be like lady and the camp sucking down a noodle and meeting in the middle.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby GreyCoyote » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:16 pm

Just a quick but important point: if you plan on making an all-weather fitted cover for your dome, you need to abandon those "expert" calcs you find on-line. They are both useless and misleading. They are only useful at ONE temperature and ONE humidity. Period. They forget the real-world need to compensate for temperature and humidity, and these factors are far from insignificant.

As a real-world example, consider a 30 foot F4 dome. If you make a nice fitting cover that is carefully measured and cut out of 10 oz shelter duck at 75F and 20% relative humidity, the cover will DESTROY itself when it gets rained on. The cover will shrink nearly 2.5 feet at the base. All those stresses have to go somewhere, so they build up and then shred seams and zippers. Been there. Done that. Ouchies.

FYI: Canvas shrinks when it gets wet. A lot. Depending on the canvas, shrinkage can exceed 4%-5%. In no case is the effect less than 2%. So get a copy of the manufacturers specs for what you are using and engineer the necessary slop into your design. Understand that all canvas (at the thread level) is hydrophyllic... mystical coatings and "pre-shrinkage treatments" be damned.

Design accordingly, and understand the limitations of the fabric you are working with. :mrgreen:
"Resistance is futile. You will be commodified"..."
c.f Larry Harvey, The BMOrg
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Token » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:25 pm

hydrophyllic

That just sounds so naughty.

Pre-washed Tyvec is pretty stable dimensionally.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby SBgalaxy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:15 pm

Thanks for the replies!

I appreciate the % change due to environmental factors.

Is there any use in creating the grommet points without having the cover actually over the dome structure? Seems like our grommet points will certainly be off. But our dome pieces won't be set up til playa so I'm not sure how we'd grommet on playa. Seems like a ton of work.
SBgalaxy

Postby GreyCoyote » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:28 pm

A well engineered cover does not have grommet points. There will be nylon or poly webbing sewn into loops at reinforced seams. You would anchor to those instead of a grommet.

Grommets can ruin an otherwise good design. They concentrate a lot of stress on a small area. Webbing loops spread the load over a larger area and are essentially unitized into the cover.

FWIW. :mrgreen:
GreyCoyote

Postby SBgalaxy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:21 am

Ok, so here's our current plan... feel free to shoot "holes" in it!

we're gonna buy about 300 sq yds of fuchsia [url]http://www.bigduckcanvas.com/10-oz-duck-cloth/50-yard-roll/fuchsia[/url]fabric... then we are going to put webbing along 1 ft from each edge and sew it on. then we are going to roll the lengths over the dome and overlap them by 1' on each edge. we will attach the webbing via zip tie to the EMT structure.

advice?
SBgalaxy

Postby GreyCoyote » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:16 am

We need to talk. Check your pm box.
GreyCoyote

Postby SBgalaxy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:43 am

hi grey coyote, i wanna chat with you soon... i lost my personal phone tonight so i'm handicapped, but i still have a work phone so i'll call you in the next couple days and totally appreciate you reaching out and wanting to share your experience. thanks!
sarah b. <> galaxy
SBgalaxy

Return to Shelter & Camping