Countering blue flag abuse?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: Countering blue flag abuse?

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:12 am

i'll be gifting my services out as an asshole, or a prick, or just plain nasty to anyone who needs some east coast in their life.

these types of situations are perfect.

why get your knickers in a twist? Just come find me and i will deal with the 'flaggers'.....

consider it "performance art" since it is indeed, the one week of the year i can fly into temporary psychosis and call it that. :twisted:
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby AntiM » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:38 am

Our Knight in Shining Snark. Pointy shiny snark.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Ratty » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:49 am

I love this thread it makes me relive the close proximity of my neighbors on different years. Sojourn and I use tents and art to keep the exhaust spewing, teeth jarring , wa shattering generator/RV from parking tailpipe to tailpipe with us.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby EspressoDude » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:58 am

one potato, two potato......

sounds of silence
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby Sunbeam56 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:00 am

My vote is Super Soakers at 20 paces.... :)
Let GOOD win!
Sunbeam56

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan

Postby Joeln » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:20 am

Sunbeam56 wrote:My vote is Super Soakers at 20 paces.... :)

Ahhhh, but what fluid shall we fill them with?
Collapse first and avoid the rush
Joeln

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby Lonesomebri » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:23 am

Going with the OP: This isn't about placed camps or the color of flag markings, or whatever. It's about people claiming big chunks of real-estate and holding them for people who are not there, while people who have made the effort to actually be there are denied the space. And it's using flimsy bs markings to claim turf. If it's a tent, or a trailer, an actual flag pole, or even chairs, ok. But plastic ribbons or plastic survey flags saving space for people who won't be here for days, bullshit. Yeah, this happened to me and I was not very happy about it. But at least for me it wasn't a commercial enterprise running me off, and they had a group of people there putting stuff up, but they had a whole outer blocked yellow ribboned off, open space, and people drifting in all week. That was the thing last year, I edged my truck into the yellow taped off block where there was a gap...turned out they had simply run out of ribbon there. And they have nothing to lose, cheap ribbon to rope off all the space in the world, claim people are going to show up sometime, and just have the org add additional outer streets.... I really don't see a solution, other than being a champ like the OP and standing ground, hell, let the other guy go get the ranger while you set up camp. Of course last year I folded after freaking out my newby burner craigslist respondent by mocking the land grabbers chillness. Where was the love? Got to set up near better people anyway..... Reading the other experiences here, I had it easy.

As an art project, removing yellow ribbons and plastic survey flags by moonlight has an appeal. Maybe while out trying to find my dog.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Major Krash » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:24 pm

Look at the map before you set-up to avoid theme camp areas, and if anyone is nearby (and awake/sober) consider asking them about the neighborhood (not just "reservations" for friends, but sound camp plans and nearest potties). Best to avoid poaching theme camp spaces after monday unless the neighbor camps say it is OK (they sometimes know why the space is empty, like their truck broke down but they are arriving later that day). But sooner or later SOMEONE will fill that space, likely an RV, so better a real camp with SOMETHING to offer (that can often work when talking to the neighbors).

After that, and you are set-up, avoid the hassle of moving unless a Placer or Ranger asks you to move. Put the onus of locating the Placer or Ranger on them, if they want you to move. Sit back and enjoy a beverage while you chat with the neighbors about the supposed land grab and continue to enjoy your Burn.
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams
Major Krash

Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby unjonharley » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:25 pm

I pull up in an open space to figure where I was.. AntieM and Larry were on me.. Like a duck on a junebug.. I had turn around in the theme camp..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby maladroit » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:52 pm

During setup, it's funny how every other burner is a filthy loud claim-jumping drunk asshole NON PARTICIPANT with some shitty-ass camping rig they got from Wal-Mart in Reno and will just leave it all on the playa after running a $50 Harbor Freight generator 24/7 for the week. Usually after you talk to them a couple minutes they're cool.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Lonesomebri » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:43 pm

maladroit wrote:During setup, it's funny how every other burner is a filthy loud claim-jumping drunk asshole NON PARTICIPANT with some shitty-ass camping rig they got from Wal-Mart in Reno and will just leave it all on the playa after running a $50 Harbor Freight generator 24/7 for the week. Usually after you talk to them a couple minutes they're cool.

Yes, when they tell you to make yourself comfortable setting up your camp and offer you a beer from their generator cooled rig when finished, yes, they are not assholes. But back to the original post....
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide
Lonesomebri

Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby AntiM » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:00 pm

unjonharley wrote:I pull up in an open space to figure where I was.. AntieM and Larry were on me.. Like a duck on a junebug.. I had turn around in the theme camp..

Just me, Larry is quiet backup. Hushville is a big village, we look so open and inviting early in the week, we really do have people on the hoof for when the gate opens. Back when the opening was at midnight, we actually had to assign a perimeter watch with a clipboard of registered Hushers. Insane. Most folks are fine with moving, but one guy one year was very combative, told us we were bad burners for not sharing our village space with his RV. I literally hugged it out, my arms around him as we talked him down, because he was going to take swings any moment. He really had been awake a few too many hours behind the wheel.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:30 pm

The only real problem with doing what I consider the right thing and telling people who insist you move out of "their" un-officially-placed space to fuck off is that you don't want to be their neighbors anyway. It's a problem that I dunno what to do about because allowing it to happen sucks too.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby maladroit » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:26 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:The only real problem with doing what I consider the right thing and telling people who insist you move out of "their" un-officially-placed space to fuck off is that you don't want to be their neighbors anyway. It's a problem that I dunno what to do about because allowing it to happen sucks too.

It depends how far you've gotten into your camp setup, in my opinion. If you did the best you could to verify you weren't stepping on anyone's toes, it's after Gate opens, and it's not a theme camp area...if you're more than 50% done with your setup, tell them to go find someone from placement. Optionally offer them a cold beverage and some help with their setup, too. One neighbor with a case of the Mondays might be worth not devoting another 5 percent of your week to camp setup. If you have barely parked and someone comes rushing up to chase you off, then yeah...move along and forget it happened.

In the reverse situation, if there was an open unmarked space and I came back to find it occupied...C'est la vie. Marking the space with stuff will usually be enough to encourage people to find another space. If you need to reserve a totally unmarked space for someone coming in later, then you need to have someone there guarding the claim at all times.
maladroit

Postby *Kat* » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:46 pm

During my first year me and my friend just wanted to park the car in a huge open space (not theme camp territory) to just sleep and find a good spot in the morning. This guy came and was really rude demanding we leave immediately. We left (no point in arguing with jerks) and ended up crushing next to some really awesome people (as we found out next morning). They are now our playa family and we reunite every year. I'm so glad that idiot chased us off or that might have been my first and only year on the playa.

I would not want to camp next to people who are asshats when you meet them already. Not that I don't think one should not cut everybody some slack - Sunday and Monday are stressful days after all. If you can't solve the problem while sitting down, having a beer and talking it through, you don't want to camp next to that person. Unless, of course, you are far along in your setup already.
Sometimes even 15 minutes on the street clock is a world away! A letter of the alphabet can be an entire light-year, a galaxy, a universe. - AntiM
*Kat*

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Token » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:06 pm

Why would you ever let a perfectly good crisis go to waste?

So much fun can be had with the clueless.
Token

Postby DrYes » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:11 pm

We had someone blatantly plop down in our theme camp space last year on Tuesday (we had some people not arriving until Thursday), at night. Dad and his two daughters from Israel. No way was I going to make them pack their shit up again and move. Unless you're literally wall-to-wall in your camp and seriously don't have the room (rare - in many of the camps I've been in, there's at least some extra room), it's just the decent thing to do.
DrYes

Burning Since: 2010

Postby maladroit » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:07 pm

I think the discussion above has condensed to the following rule: Don't be an asshole unless you're dealing with assholes.
maladroit

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:32 pm

All rules condense to that. But there are a billion ways of being an asshole that you end up having to add as addenda...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby maladroit » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:18 pm

Never thought of it that way, but you're right. I guess laws pretty much describe the various possible types of assholery and prescribe how much of an asshole you have to be in response.
maladroit

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:47 am

*Kat* wrote:During my first year me and my friend just wanted to park the car in a huge open space (not theme camp territory) to just sleep and find a good spot in the morning. This guy came and was really rude demanding we leave immediately. We left (no point in arguing with jerks) and ended up crushing next to some really awesome people (as we found out next morning). They are now our playa family and we reunite every year. I'm so glad that idiot chased us off or that might have been my first and only year on the playa.

I would not want to camp next to people who are asshats when you meet them already. Not that I don't think one should not cut everybody some slack - Sunday and Monday are stressful days after all. If you can't solve the problem while sitting down, having a beer and talking it through, you don't want to camp next to that person. Unless, of course, you are far along in your setup already.

This. It can usually wait until morning. I found an RV in our village access road late one Monday night; figured it could wait until morning. I was right. I brought them coffee, showed them where they were on the map, pointed out they were blocking our access, waved them goodbye. No issues. 8)

DrYes wrote:We had someone blatantly plop down in our theme camp space last year on Tuesday (we had some people not arriving until Thursday), at night. Dad and his two daughters from Israel. No way was I going to make them pack their shit up again and move. Unless you're literally wall-to-wall in your camp and seriously don't have the room (rare - in many of the camps I've been in, there's at least some extra room), it's just the decent thing to do.

Hahahahaha if folks can find an empty space in our Village and want to hand over camp dues in cash, I am sure Doc & Felony would welcome them. But I would feel really weird about taking money like that.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:24 am

MyDearFriend wrote:Hahahahaha if folks can find an empty space in our Village and want to hand over camp dues in cash, I am sure Doc & Felony would welcome them. But I would feel really weird about taking money like that.

I certainly wouldn't.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby ygmir » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:37 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote:Hahahahaha if folks can find an empty space in our Village and want to hand over camp dues in cash, I am sure Doc & Felony would welcome them. But I would feel really weird about taking money like that.

I certainly wouldn't.

seems that might hinge on the "office in back of RV interview and application process". yes?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby melodiousdirge » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:29 am

Alright, so I hear the "official" message loud and clear, that if it's really an issue, go find a ranger/placer. If it comes to this, obviously you're already deep into PITA territory unfortunately.

I want to hear some more about the idea that once the gate opens, there are no more reserved spots. This makes a great deal of sense to me, and I'd love to see it be this way for my own selfish reasons. Of course I doubt this is how things are in reality; I can think of many scenarios in which one might take this approach and then wind up having to move camp. So how much weight is there to this? Are rangers sympathetic to this? Last year at 7:30 and K the guys with the BAAAHS/Woolbus had blocked out half of the space between J and K until halfway through the week, empty (and they were total dicks to us too, while they were at it). The guys from Sharkys were cool and let us encroach on their space a little bit when we asked, but there was about 40 minutes of debate while we figured out where to put our shit, and this was even with early entry. I would have loved some clarity on how exactly someone proves they have a claim and how this holds up with rangers and placers when it's dark and you can't see the flags, the map isn't the final word, and there's a lone douchebag is running everyone off who tries to camp on half a block of empty space.
We wouldn't want to alarm the flock, they might start asking questions.
melodiousdirge

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:53 am

all reserved spaces are clearly marked on the map you will receive at the gate... After the gate is opened the spaces marked on your map are still reserved for the likes of theme camps.. After to reserved marked spaces (on your map)..The rest are open to first come.. Try to be polite if you see a camp site marked by or for a private
party..That is still open ground but do not start a fight over a little dirt..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby maladroit » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:56 am

melodiousdirge wrote:there's a lone douchebag is running everyone off who tries to camp on half a block of empty space.

Just one guy guarding an acre of land? I have a hilarious vision of him running frazzled from one side to the other while claim-jumpers slowly encroach from all the borders. Can't stop watching, can't sleep for even one minute...that guy's burn sucked.
maladroit

Postby melodiousdirge » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:05 pm

maladroit wrote:
melodiousdirge wrote:there's a lone douchebag is running everyone off who tries to camp on half a block of empty space.

Just one guy guarding an acre of land? I have a hilarious vision of him running frazzled from one side to the other while claim-jumpers slowly encroach from all the borders. Can't stop watching, can't sleep for even one minute...that guy's burn sucked.

Hahahaha, well, it was more or less the case from Sunday when we got to our spot around 9pm most of the way through Monday. I don't know if the people who finally took the space were actually part of the camp or if they just told them to fuck off.
melodiousdirge

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:07 pm

melodiousdirge wrote:I would have loved some clarity on how exactly someone proves they have a claim and how this holds up with rangers and placers when it's dark and you can't see the flags, the map isn't the final word, and there's a lone douchebag is running everyone off who tries to camp on half a block of empty space.

The Placer is the final word - find someone with a walkie-talkie (the Rangers are great for this), ask them to call your Placer so they know you have an issue. Have one person from your camp work with the Placer & the other camp - the Placer knows who's supposed to be where, and what the actual boundaries are. We've had to call our Placer the last two years, one about a boundary issue, one about another issue, they've been great, and as long as the person on your side has a cool head (regardless of how much of a "douchebag" the other camp is being) you should generally get a good resolution.

If it's night-time & the Placer isn't around, cool your jets until the morning (sleep in your vehicle, set up a tent in a "safe area", whatever), then deal with the problem.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby melodiousdirge » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:20 pm

unjonharley wrote:all reserved spaces are clearly marked on the map you will receive at the gate.

That's a nice thought, but not always the case. I've had space conflicts on two separate occasions with theme camps that were not shown on the map to be using the space they claimed was theirs. I've also wound up camping in a spot that was marked as reserved on the map, but was not in fact flagged out or claimed by anyone. The nature of the event is just that the map isn't perfect; even the "final" one they give you at the gate.
melodiousdirge

Postby melodiousdirge » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:22 pm

Eric wrote:cool your jets until the morning

Personally I think if it came to this I'd find another spot, but I guess in extreme cases this makes sense.
melodiousdirge

PreviousNext

Return to Shelter & Camping