"Gabled" Hut ??

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

"Gabled" Hut ??

Postby krly » Mon May 05, 2014 2:41 pm

I was wondering if anyone's used a "gabled" type hut with 1"emt. They'd only need to be 5' long so they'd travel easy enough. Was just wondering how it would handle the winds....?
Kind of like this :( http://www.shelters-to-go.com/dome.shtml)
Dome3.gif

Thanks.........krly
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
krly

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: "Gabled" Hut ??

Postby MacGlenver » Mon May 05, 2014 2:46 pm

Never tried it msyelf, but I would fear it bending. Huts like that are usually made of PVC, which can bend and spring back; however, that guy would bend and crimp, I'd think. The EMT structures I see built have the shade cloth parallel with the ground so as to minimize its wind load.
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Mon May 05, 2014 7:09 pm

That picture is a gambrel style roof. Not a gable.

The famous Costco and shelterlogic carports are a gabled hut, and manage to do just fine on playa when guyed and secured properly, I imagine a gambrel would fair just as well and with extra head-room for friends on stilts. You do have the addition of potential failure points with extra connectors, but also the addition of horizontal supports...

I would think that the principles responsible for the success of the monkeyhut are different that those responsible for the success of the carport. One being bouncy and flexible and the other being rigid...

Maybe go with the 1 3/8 or 1 5/8 just to be sure?

Maybe we need someone with real engineering skills to chime in.

I have seen gabled 'carports' made with the STG connectors and EMT conduit survive on the playa. The gambrel style does look like it would be cool though.
A-RockLeFrench

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: PLUNDERGROUND

Postby FossaFerox » Tue May 06, 2014 12:55 am

So there are two big problems here. The first problem with that kind of structure is the angle of the lowest walls and the resulting wind load. While EMT shade structures are rigid they are either parallel or shallower than 45 degrees to ensure the wind can spill rather than obliterate the structure. Monkey huts have walls at that angle (and every angle, yay curves) but they're flexible, not rigid, so they literally bend and sway out of the way to let wind spill around them before springing back into shape.

Rigid walls at that angle will not do well. And this isn't something where scaling up the diameter will necessarily help. The issue isn't in your structure snapping, necessarily, but with flying the fuck away and killing whoever is downwind. If you leave off the covering from the bottom section you might be okay. Alternatively, a decently low rating shade cloth could work, but you'll still want to stake the hell out of it and use a LOT of guylines in either scenario and shallow ones (big foot print) at that. Stake it out, big time. No exceptions.

The other big problem is this type of structure's inherent instability. The obtuse angles with no normal or near-normal bracing makes me nervous. But that's more of a gut feeling than anything else. I'm thinking back to my structural engineering classes and cringing.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Return to Shelter & Camping