Tyvek for shade?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Tyvek for shade?

Postby OneScorpion » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:04 pm

So I posted earlier about creating a cloth/canvas monkeyhut.

I have since continued to think about alternatives to a tarp.

has anyone used Tyvek for a shade structure or made a tent out of it? It blocks all water, lets in more light, and is very UV proof from what i have read.

Thanks!
OneScorpion

Burning Since: 2014

Re: Tyvek for shade?

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:35 pm

Using the search function in the upper right of the screen, I got five pages worth of posts containing the word "tyvek". I'm tired, so I didn't sort out the thread or two that I remembered there being an extended discussion in. For shade, you want something with holes in it. You want air to move through it, so that the hot air goes away. Something impermeable to water isn't likely to let a breeze pass through. I'm also uncertain what causes it to get that weird fibery quality. I know Tyvek from envelopes, and if you pull the two sides apart the adhesive leaves one side disintegrating a bit. I have this feeling that abrasion, like moving against a support might cause this. But I'm not sure if that comes from some sort of experience, or if I made it up.
All that being said, it might do well as a tent.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby msj2u » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:22 pm

I had a tyvek tent the first few years, trust Me as a tent with any amount of a breeze the crackling nose will drive you crazy! Even with all the music in the air!
Plus it doesn't breathe. Just my 2 cents

MSJ
The older I get, the less patience I have for stupid
msj2u

Burning Since: 2003

Postby missmelee » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:24 am

We used Tyvek in 2008 and would not use it again. We cut holes in the Tyvek sides so that wind could pass through, but the noise was still really loud. I would research a much more breathable, softer, shade material.
missmelee

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Back Burner

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:03 am

Billboard vinyl is cheap, tough, and isn't noisy.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby shieldbearer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:50 am

I have been using the same piece of Tyvek for about 4 years as a ground sheet for my tent, no holes in it so far. One way to help cut down on the noise is to wash it, no soap, just put it in the washer and let it air dry.
shieldbearer

Burning Since: 2014

Return to Shelter & Camping