Rental Tents?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Rental Tents?

Postby Lucas the Nomad » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:46 pm

Hi all,

I'm an Australian heading to burning man for the first time this year and I'm trying to figure out what to do about a tent.

I've actually be on the road for nearly 12 months now and wont be home before I get to the playa, so bringing one from home is not an option. I could buy one somewhere once I get to the states, but that seems wasteful and against the spirit of the event to buy a tent that I'll only use for that week.

Does anyone have any pointers for where one might rent a tent that will survive a week on the playa? or other suggestions how I might temporarily acquire one?

Thanks!

Lucas
Lucas the Nomad

Burning Since: 2014

Re: Rental Tents?

Postby FossaFerox » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:54 pm

I don't think anyone would rent you a tent for Burning Man, sadly, even if you managed to find someone who rents tents. Having borrowed a friend's tent last year I can tell you that that tent will never be the same. I cleaned it three times and there's still playa dust in all the seams. Thankfully he's joining me at the burn this year and using the same tent, so no real damage done. :D

That being said, I imagine it would take you approximately zero minutes to find someone who would love a gift like a tent at the end of the week, provided it isn't total rubbish.

Coleman Sundome's are good, cheap options. The 3 man version (9'x7' or 2.7mx2.1m) run about 50 USD on Amazon. They unfortunately have top vents you'll want to cover somehow (numerous threads here on securing tents to minimize dust issues) but other than that they're very well made and will survive the burn and make a fantastic gift or donation (Good Will, etc).
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby trilobyte » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:07 pm

There are companies that rent shelters (mostly sketchy/shady operations that don't have the necessary BLM/OSS permits and paperwork in place - we don't permit them to advertise here), but they tend to focus on heavier duty structures and shelters. Anything less than that is very visibly worn from the playa, even when handled with the loving care of the owner... and would largely be useless for rentals and continual re-use.

Get yourself a tent, then donate it when you're done. If you're unable to find someone who would be happy for the gift on the playa, there is information about recycling and donating supplies post-event that goes out in one of the Jack Rabbit Speaks newsletters between now and the burn (a printed guide is also distributed at the gate).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:47 am

The problem is that tents get trashed out there.

REI and UC Berkeley recreation extra-curriculum thingie have rented gear in the past, but is trashing their tent a way to go? Please, read up on tents and shade structures here.

If you hook up with a camp, it's totally possible that they will take it off your hands at the end. Having a spare tent for a camp can turn out to be useful.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby GreyCoyote » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:20 pm

Lucas: Enjoyed your website hugely! Remind me to buy you a drink in the Dust and force you to tell us stories until you're hoarse. :mrgreen:

All: If you're a voyeuristic traveler, it's worth a read.

Damn, this guy must have some flyer miles! hehehehe...
"Resistance is futile. You will be commodified"..."
c.f Larry Harvey, The BMOrg
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Lucas the Nomad » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:42 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone, in hindsight the gifting route seems really obvious (and even fits in perfectly with the rules) but for some reason it didn't occurred to me :)

GreyCoyote: Glad you enjoyed it, be sure to say hello if you do happen to see me ;)
Lucas the Nomad

Postby Titty McVittie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:51 pm

Hi there,

I am currently looking on craigslist.com and kijiji.com, both popular American sites, for a motorhome as Karl & I are looking to travel the West Coast of the USA and into Nevada - I'd recommend looking for a recycled tent / lodgings on there - they you can be in a complete recycle loop!

Best of luck, TMV
Titty McVittie
so named by my friends in the ski resort!
Titty McVittie

Postby BBadger » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:44 am

Just make sure the recycled tent isn't some stinky, mildew-infested tent with a gaping hole in it and 3x 6" stakes.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Rental Tents?

Postby The Swan » Tue May 27, 2014 9:20 am

Hello Everyone,

Registered in STEP so hoping to get a ticket for this year. I'll be in a similar position to Lucas as if I buy a tent, it is not worth it to take it all the way back to Barbados. Gifting is a good idea. Reading the posts however, I'd need to buy a fairly sturdy/good quality tent that won't blow away in the winds. FossaFerox suggested a Coleman Sundome which sounds reasonable for around $50 on Craig's List. Would this type of tent be appropriate or would I need to spend more $$? Also thought about hiring a mini van and using that to sleep in but imagine it would get very hot in the day unless under a shade structure. Could this be an alternative to a tent? At least it is somewhere secure as well to lock any valuables.
The Swan

Postby trilobyte » Wed May 28, 2014 12:41 pm

Do some reading, it's entirely possible that the issue of tents and camping is covered exhaustively here already.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to Shelter & Camping