Emergency/weather radio-lightest, best?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Emergency/weather radio-lightest, best?

Postby magdalen23 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:24 am

So I'm finally putting together earthquake / disaster preparedness kits for my family, and realizing that most of what I need I already have in my Burning Man supplies... except some sort of radio or emergency radio/light combo gadget, probably run by crank or solar. Any recommendations?
magdalen23

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Burning Tarot

Re: Emergency/weather radio-lightest, best?

Postby Sunbeam56 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:34 am

I live in Texas, near the coast. We get hurricanes. Last time (2008) I was out of power at my house for 19 days.
In my experience, the crank and solar is nifty, but unnecessary.
If you have a generator - better.
Barring that, a supply of batteries.
I would not combine the flashlight and radio. Its awkward to carry around.

A friend of mine was living in California in one of the big earthquakes. They were out of power for a week. Well within the ability to be battery powered... with some conservation.
Let GOOD win!
Sunbeam56

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan

Postby Sham » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:49 am

I have a cheap $10 transistor radio. No weather alert, but all the AM/FM stations cover the weather in an emergency. Lots of extra batteries.
The new LED flashlights use nearly no power, so batteries last forever. I have a few really good flashlights, and lots of the cheapie LED ones for passing around.
My BM stock of stuff has all I need to survive for weeks. I think we as burners are pretty prepared for any natural disaster!
Sham

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:51 am

I have a very excellent shortwave radio that uses batteries. And I have batteries.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ygmir » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:32 pm

the batteries on Gilligans Island lasted 7 seasons............why worry?

any broadcast receiver will do. emergency radio broadcasts will go out over normal airwaves. I do like the little hand crank lights and radios, also, just in case you and your batteries are parted, or, batteries have to go for more important duty.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby magdalen23 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:55 pm

thanks, my burnin' peeps! the Red Cross and government sites tell ya to get a radio/also weather radio, which is sort of adorable and retro, just my style.

i was hoping to find something super tiny that would fit in a backpack if i had to flee instantly. a tiny backpack, because i've got a few disability issues. yes, after the big Pacific NW earthquake this month, i will be that one Fibromyalgic Survivalist in the woods living solely on a few verylight items that will fit in a mini backpack (it's red and has ears, it's for four-year-olds). probably a few packets of Emergen-C, a cheap Leatherman knockoff, and some nitrous cartridges.

i'm also getting car and house emergency things together, supposedly. i can barely *find* my basement it's so loaded up with crap. there are, however, two five-gallon gasoline cans... full of drinking water. ha ha ha.
magdalen23

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Burning Tarot

Postby dragonpilot » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:43 am

Water in gas cans? Better check the suitability for that. Plastic gas cans rated for carrying gasoline can leach impurities into your water. There are plastic water containers made especially for water storage...even so, water can go stale and pick up contaminants over time and should be rotated. We keep our emergency water in 2.5 gal cases, rotate it out with fresh cases once a year...use it for our morning coffee.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby unjonharley » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:23 am

I have a ten year old crank radio.. A NORAD radio 9 v. change the battery two times a year.. Change all batteries in the house at day light saving times spring and fall.. New water filter at the same times.. Wired in a plug for generator power to the furnace.. Generator can bring the house up to heat, cycle the frig and cycle the freezer.. Store 10gal. gas and have three cars on the property for extra gas.. Camp cook stove.. And the ability to live smaller when needed..We have power outs, floods and earthquakes with 100 plus years old water mains.. The house is on a septic tank.. There is a large coy pond to flush with.. Store 28 gal. water and rotate it year around through a 9 gal (crock) water cooler/server..
unjonharley

Return to Shelter & Camping