2014 Costco Carports?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

2014 Costco Carports?

Postby desiredlogin » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:23 pm

I'll be flying in for the burn from Aus. I was hoping to add a Costco carport to our camp for a communal, kitchen, storage, etc type space. Since I arrive less than a week before the burn, I can't rely on purchasing this in store (unless I can possibly ring up and have them put one aside for me? Has anybody done this?). I can't seem to find these carports on the costco website (only flimsy looking 10x10 canopies).

There are a few options on Amazon, some including the phrase 'heavy duty' in their description, but it's very hard to judge their playa readiness from a few photos. Does anybody have any experience with some of the brands on amazon like quicktent or shelter logic? Is anyone aware of an online source of a good, playa ready carport or similar (semi-)enclosed structure? Any alternative suggestions? Thanks.
desiredlogin

Burning Since: 2008

Re: 2014 Costco Carports?

Postby happydragon » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:39 pm

Carlsbad, Ca store had about a dozen left in mid march, $259 each. Haven't been back since so can't say whether they still do or not.
happydragon

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Thunder Spoon

Postby BBadger » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:40 pm

Just give up on getting a carport after flying in from another country. You'll either need to buy one that is too far away from BRC to make it worth driving in, or there won't be any available. They're not going to reserve one for you either, because they won't have any available.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:04 am

And you have to be a member to shop at CostCo. Although, maybe under the circumstances you wouldn't mind paying out another $55.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:08 am

I split the new posts from the old gag thread in Open Discussion.

It would be wise to assume that any structure you haven't seen in person first or had the chance to set up and test is NOT as heavy duty as you think. The thing you need to remember is that, by and large, NONE of those structures is designed for the extreme weather conditions of the playa - they're made for backyards, driveways, and in "heavy duty" use, flea markets.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to Shelter & Camping