Aluminet edge binding question

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Aluminet edge binding question

Postby captain voltaveus » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:00 am

I am in the process of getting together materials for a shade structure this year. It is unclear to me just what the best procedure is when ordering the materials with respect to binding of the edges. Is it necessary to have the edges bound by the manufacturer and then DIY some grommets? Do the non-grommet shark bite products work well enough to resist the tension put on the aluminet as it is stretched up in the center? If one doesn't pay for the binding is the Aluminet at risk for fraying?

Thanks for any help!
captain voltaveus

Burning Since: 2014

Re: Aluminet edge binding question

Postby EspressoDude » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:04 am

aluminet will fray and leave shiny moop.
I have bought a cheap silver poly tarp and sliced it in about 4" strips, then folded in half. Tuck the aluminet in the V and zig zag sew it together. That also gives something to put grommets into
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:15 pm

The cost to have the edges sewn with nylon webbing and grommets is minimal and makes the Aluminet useful for more purposes and more long lasting. I have used it to wrap a dome, in that case, it is better not to have an edge sewn on - it stretches better. I would suggest getting the width you need - 7, 14, 21' without a sewn seam to make narrower pieces to wider.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby trilobyte » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:22 pm

It's your first year, don't overcomplicate things. Go for a finished piece of aluminet. It's easier/better IMO to adjust the size of your shade structure than it would be to go custom on the aluminet and have to manually finish all the edges yourself.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby VultureChow » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:44 am

Aluminet does not seem to moop easily. TSA cut a hole in mine last year and it didn't fray any further than the original cut, nor did it moop.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby chuckularone » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:13 am

VultureChow wrote:TSA cut a hole in mine last year

Was it by accident or were they looking for terrorists?
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE
chuckularone

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Postby VultureChow » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:55 am

In their defense it was wrapped around a mountain lion and then further wrapped in black trash bags and duct tape.

It looked like I was disposing of a body.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Zhust » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:08 am

EspressoDude wrote:aluminet will fray and leave shiny moop.

Weird. I have the opposite experience: my Aluminet never frays. Tarps, on the other hand, just shred in the wind and UV.

I bought a 10'x20' piece and had the edges taped with grommets installed. I totally regret doing that. The tape weighs more than the Aluminet and doubles the volume when packed. Worst of all, it's worse than useless: the Aluminet is stretchy but the tape isn't, so no matter how taut I get the lines attached to the grommets, it always sags a lot.

It also isn't grabbed by the wind — I can hold the whole 10x20 piece myself in the strongest winds and, until the wind is nearly enough to knock me over, the Aluminet won't pull me down. As such, it's not hard to put in hooks or clips every foot or two and keep it in place.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby captain voltaveus » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:32 pm

Which kind of hooks or grabbers do you use on the edges to attach the aluminet? It seems I've read conflicting reports on whether those claps will hold the aluminet. If you found one that worked well for you, I'd appreciate the tip.

Thanks!
captain voltaveus

Burning Since: 2014

Postby Zhust » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:51 am

captain voltaveus wrote:Which kind of hooks or grabbers do you use on the edges to attach the aluminet?

I have been using a smaller sheet (5'x8' or so) and I just use bungee cords and the metal hooks on them. For the large sheet, I'd either use bungees or hooks like bungees, or just spread the weave and add loops of rope.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:34 pm

I don't have experience with aluminet per se, but on another eplayan's suggestion (Hi, FIGJAM!), I roll the edges of my tarp and then clamp down with shark clips:

Seems to work very well to distribute the stress a bit.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby some seeing eye » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:27 am

Using clips depends on the percent shade/how much wind it catches (I used the 70), the area, the clip spacing and the wind speed.

My 25x21 top shade supported by and anchored to 4 corner posts 8 feet high catches too much wind to use bite grommets. The material is tough, but the deformations in the weave, not exactly like stocking runs, reduce the resale value and other time of the year civilized uses of the Aluminet. One advantage of Aluminet, it's easily washable with a hose.

You can buy the bites where you buy the shade cloth.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:32 am

I ditto the folks about that aluminet does NOT shred or MOOP and works better if left unfinished. I use 2-piece plastic grommets called "Shark Bites"

[media]

which are handy for everything, including the fleece blankets that cover the mesh on my tents and the fake fur cover on my PlayaTech love seat.. These babies go on quickly, stay on as long as you want them to, and come off without any damage to the material. Being of a smaller and relatively weak handed demographic, I use needle-nose pliers to set the grommets. These things are magic. I love em. 8)

I have brought the same aluminet back & forth for 3 Burns now & never lost a shred. And, I made a costume (pants & shirt) from leftover aluminet which has been worn multiple times and the unfinished edges have not MOOPed. So, don't worry about your edges, trim & stretch to fit, that will work better and be MUCH cheaper. 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Return to Shelter & Camping