How to shower at Burning Man with the wind???

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: How to shower at Burning Man with the wind???

Postby tatonka » Sun May 04, 2014 12:02 pm

Ive heard alot about it from family , my friends went biking thru there in high school back in the early 70's , they said every one was friendly and asked them to stay in their homes. They never needed to go to a Hostel.
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby *Kat* » Sun May 04, 2014 12:09 pm

Yeah, Germans will go through all sorts of difficulties to get a chance to practice their painfully acquired heavy-accented English. Eight years of mandatory English! And it'll be ten soon!

But I digress. The OP can have the topic back. Showers... German showers tend to be a LOT cleaner than American ones...
Sometimes even 15 minutes on the street clock is a world away! A letter of the alphabet can be an entire light-year, a galaxy, a universe. - AntiM
*Kat*

Burning Since: 2010

Postby DoctorIknow » Sun May 04, 2014 8:11 pm

Back to topic....

no matter how hot the water is, or how enclosed the shower space is, chances are if you can't wait for daylight to warm up the air or wind to back off, and you MUST take a shower, you will get cold, and shiver dramatically, and not like it.

Therefore, for those who can envision themselves naked, shivering and wanting relief, come to BM with either a tent heater (newest ones have CO2 monitors) or a Coleman lantern (do NOT fall asleep) and either of those will warm your tent up in 4 minutes and your chills will be replaced by waves of warmth. The rush of warmth sucking the chill out of your body is one of the greatest non-sex and non-substance rushes you'll ever have.
DoctorIknow

Burning Since: 1998

Postby FIGJAM » Sun May 04, 2014 9:04 pm

And a perfect example of why swamp coolers work so well on the playa! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby andy » Tue May 13, 2014 1:33 pm

It's really not hard to built your own shower structure. Basically some tarp or shower curtain attached to a tube, and a pulley with rope is useful to haul the shower bag up. I bought a kiddie wading pool to use as a catch basin (some people use those plastic mortar mixing trays) and I built a 3" high wooden platform so that you don't stand in the grey water. Although a light structure may blow around, it won't go anywhere while you are standing inside it.
andy

Postby Drawingablank » Tue May 13, 2014 5:21 pm

I have to agree with Eric on this - showering on the playa is just a waste of time. Unless you just feel a need to cool down for a few minutes.

Just scrub your stinky parts and say the hell with it.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed May 14, 2014 9:58 pm

If you have a girlfriend, or want one, it's not a waste of time!

Excellent point about heating your shower or post-shower space. I always do that, why suffer?!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Jackass » Wed May 14, 2014 10:45 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:If you have a girlfriend, or want one, it's not a waste of time!

The Captain makes a valid point here.

I'm all for roughin it IF those conditions present themselves. But, I drag a trailer full of a bunch of semi useless crap out all the way out there, the least I can do is bring enough water to shower as I please. Several times I've heard "why bother, you're just going to get dusty again." While it is a fact that you will be fairly dusty in short order, u won't feel nearly as crusty as you did pre-shower for quite sometime. I don't care how brief or "barebones" your form of shower may be, you just can't beat that short-lived fresh feeling you get by bathing in one form or another... But, everyone's got their own way to burn. I cast my vote for Les Funk.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token
Jackass

Postby nixiebunny » Mon May 19, 2014 9:16 pm

I've been the guy in our camp who's in charge of the shower for the last umpty-ump years. I make it nice, so that sometimes people tell me that it was the best shower they've had in their life.

You don't need to spend a lot of money to have a nice shower, but there are some essentials.

First, a shelter is wonderful for those who don't like being cold and/or exposed while engaging in private activities. Wal-Mart or any camping store sell a low-cost shower tent. Anchor the corners with rebar. Stand in a concrete mixing tub. You'll want to empty it after every shower so it isn't unmanageable.

The water dispenser is crucial to joyousness. I bought a high-spray, low-flow Oxygenics shower head from a specialty plumbing store a few years ago. It sprays like the dickens and uses very little water. Of course, it needs pressure. I bought a little submersible pump that will fit into a 5 gallon water bottle neck. It's powered by a 12V sealed lead-acid battery. I installed a doorbell button on the shower handle (an L-shaped 1/2" PVC pipe structure) to make the pump go when you want it to. I also used a 1/2" PVC one-way check valve from Home Depot to keep the water in the hose. I used 1/2" clear poly tubing for the hose.

You have to leave your water bottle out in the sun all day to get it warm enough to be delightful. check its temperature with your hand - when it's rather warm to the touch, use it.

Oh, use Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap for maximum biodecomposability, and it smells very fresh while evaporating.
Enjoy delicious showers!
--David Forbes
nixiebunny

Postby Lonesomebri » Tue May 20, 2014 10:43 am

I bring a large folding aluminum ladder to help me set up my shade shelter, then I lend it to the nearby noise camp nobs to set up their 2 domes, and then have to walk back to retrieve it myself and never get invited in for drinks....but I digress. I set the ladder up, stake it down and tie it off to the truck, put a plastic drywall pan under it, along with a folding chair. Wrap an old tent rainfly around it, bungee strap a solar shower bag or two to the top steps. Hook a piece of pvc to the top with a solar light for finding my way home. Quick shower, sit down in chair and clean leisurely, rinse.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby kowtow » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:41 pm

My shower plan is to use Bosch extruded aluminum and plexiglass to create an enclosure with a shower pan at the bottom. It may not eliminate the effects of the wind, but it should make it dramatically easier to control where the warm water is going at any given time. I still have details to work out like where the water is going to drain and deciding if the shower will be outside or inside the trailer. Currently the plan is to have it on the deck of the trailer and I'll strap it down, or shelter it so the winds don't have their way with it.
DISCLAIMER - Kids please do not follow me on these forums for my grammar, punctuation, spelling or my general ill-use of the English language. Stay in school, adhere to abstinence, never drink or do cannabis. -kowtow
kowtow

Burning Since: 2014

Postby kowtow » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:30 pm

I just finished my shower design and I have to hand out a thanks to asr9754, he suggested I scale back on my water usage and not use a typical shower head and opt for a misting sprayer.

I went to the local home store and bought 6 misters used in drip irrigation.

View looking at the front door of Mr. Mister

View looking from the back towards the front

View from the front looking down inside the shower

I am using 6 misters that were rated at 2GPH depending on the PSI input. I tried using the Zodi Hot Shower, but the pump didn't put out enough PSI to drive all 6 misters and the 3 that were operational were weak to say the least. I opted for an inline/submersible pump that puts out 200GPH. This is normally what I use to transfer potable water in the trailer, but it worked great for this purpose. The plan now is to use the Zodi to heat the water, basically just pumping it through the Zodi and back into a 5 gallon water reservoir jug to heat it (aka jockey box). The 200GPH inline pump will also be submersed in the reservoir and will be pumping to the misters via the 6 way distribution device also purchased in the irrigation section of the home store.

Mister Distribution

Pump

I measured the water usage and with all 6 misters running at max with the 200GPH pump the water usage was 1 gallon every 11 minutes. That seems like a huge advantage over my previous idea to use the Zodi at 1 gallon per minute.

If there are any stinky people on the playa towards the end of the week, this huge reduction in water usage will allow me to gift a few showers in Mr. Mister to the needy.
DISCLAIMER - Kids please do not follow me on these forums for my grammar, punctuation, spelling or my general ill-use of the English language. Stay in school, adhere to abstinence, never drink or do cannabis. -kowtow
kowtow

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:36 pm

Does that actually rinse the soap off of you?
I like RV shower heads. They are handheld (but have mounting brackets to hang them on) and flow enough water to do a good rinse and have an on/off valve right on them so you don't dump water when you don't need to, like when soaping up.
Captain Goddammit

Postby kowtow » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:56 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Does that actually rinse the soap off of you?
I like RV shower heads. They are handheld (but have mounting brackets to hang them on) and flow enough water to do a good rinse and have an on/off valve right on them so you don't dump water when you don't need to, like when soaping up.

All right Gaddammit! That makes sense. Immediately after I read your post I went out and incorporated one 90° 14GPH sprinkler head. Now it has great flow, but I took a hit to my very conservative 1 gallon every 11 minutes or 5.45GPH. Now I'm using 1 gallon every 6 1/2 minutes, or up to 9.23 gallons an hour.

Now I will have to get particular with who I let shower come Thursday. Women - Head of the line, Men - I have wet wipes in the car if they haven't dried out yet.

NOTE: There's the playa freezer in the background... currently stocked with 360 large flavor pops with more to come...
kowtow

Postby Joeln » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:43 pm

Kowtow, I'm liking it more and more that we're in the same camp! :mrgreen:
Collapse first and avoid the rush
Joeln

Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby Sunbeam56 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:30 pm

Woo Hoo!!!
Let GOOD win!
Sunbeam56

Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan

Postby DoctorIknow » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:52 pm

Impressive!

Don't forget to give it a trial run,,,perhaps in the evening when it's cold outside.

Also, be aware that long hair being shampooed and conditioned can use a lot of water.
Much less water can be portioned out as needed by a second person while the person washing their hair can use both hands to work their hair.
DoctorIknow

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Lonesomebri » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:11 pm

I suppose my biggest question about your shower kowtow,is where exactly do you plan on it being set up, an address, and do you foresee it being left unattended?
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby kowtow » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:32 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:I suppose my biggest question about your shower kowtow,is where exactly do you plan on it being set up, an address, and do you foresee it being left unattended?

Hehehehe I would love to offer you stint with mr. mister. I'll be at the M&G and I might be sober from 6:00-6:15 or so. Address? Hmmm I've been sworn to secrecy, but if you PM me then I might be able to give you some general coordinates... :wink: :wink: :wink:
kowtow

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:43 pm

He's talking about random hippies using it.

Might be a good idea to have a way to secure it when not in use!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby kowtow » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:53 pm

DoctorIknow wrote:Impressive!

Don't forget to give it a trial run,,,perhaps in the evening when it's cold outside.

Also, be aware that long hair being shampooed and conditioned can use a lot of water.
Much less water can be portioned out as needed by a second person while the person washing their hair can use both hands to work their hair.

My hair is short, but if you have long hair maybe it would be best if I assisted to conserve as much water as possible. I'll get the Zodi running and heat the water to a toasty 100°F, once done you can wrap yourself tightly in a large fluffy towel so the cool night air won't be concern. You'll then be treated to 20 minutes of ancient Chinese cupping therapy on the meridian lines of your back.

Oh shit I thought this was a private message! :lol:
kowtow

Postby kowtow » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:54 pm

FIGJAM wrote:He's talking about random hippies using it.

Might be a good idea to have a way to secure it when not in use!

Oh crap, the offers off the table... lol... :P
kowtow

Postby Jackass » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:19 pm

FIGJAM wrote:He's talking about random hippies using it.

"If you build it... they will come."

Keep a cattle prod close at hand.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token
Jackass

Postby tamarakay » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:06 am

This is why I cut my hair off in fernley. Give the local hairdresser some business and not such a hassle on the playa.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby VultureChow » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:20 am

Or we could all make like chinchillas and take dust baths.

FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby unjonharley » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:45 am

VultureChow wrote:Or we could all make like chinchillas and take dust baths.

thats a given
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:37 am

With one of those RV shower heads with the on/off switch you won't use that much water because you only run it when you're actually rinsing, although later in the week if my water reserves are doing well I get a bit more, uh, "consumptuous" about it. People have eleventy-zillion ideas about bathing at BRC that they say work great, yet they all can't wait to get to Reno for a "real shower"!
Your Mr.Mister sounds luxuriously fabulous and I might even copy it, but I don't think you'll regret having water and facilities for a "real" shower.
I wanted to do a water-spray misting setup on the bow deck of my Land Yacht using garden sprayer parts until at the last minute I realized the boat would be covered in mud!
Captain Goddammit

Postby asr9754 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:31 pm

Kudos! That's a nice conservative flow rate but still luxurious. The misters will probably feel great for your sinuses and your skin while the stronger jet with a loufa will get you clean. Fancy-Pants! And much less waste water to deal with.
asr9754

Postby louisacrystal » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:34 pm

Wal-Mart sells adult disposable washcloth's they are called assurance they are big giant baby wipes. I usually get three packages of them and a spray bottle, Cold cream to remove makeup. Then I get 2 packs of feminine wipes, who wants their junk to be all funky? Not me!
I have gone out to find myself. If I get back before I return, Please keep me here until I get back. Thank you!
louisacrystal

Postby mournlight » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:13 pm

I built a shower frame out of pvc pipes. It it a 3x3x8 cube (rectangle) frame. It's just a personal shower, for me. The bottom is a six inch tall tray made of fitted vinyl. I lay a small platform in to stand on. I'm there 16 days, and it's nice to have 2 or 3 showers during that time. The water I use for that evaporates before the next one with no problem. It all comes apart and fits in a bag. I hang a curtain around the outside. I've used it four years with no issues. I do stake the whole thing down by throwing a rope over the top. It is very simple. You can order pvc furniture parts to make cube shapes all day long.
~Having fun preparing for a creative world~
mournlight

PreviousNext

Return to Shelter & Camping