How to shower at Burning Man with the wind???

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

How to shower at Burning Man with the wind???

Postby Wildfire)'( » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:54 am

Went to Burning Man last year for the first time and loved it. We camped in tents and made our own shower. The tents were OK but the shower situation was a disaster. Between the wind and the weight of the water bags and the disposal of the water it just made the expereince a pain in the ass. Just curious if anyone has any ideas for a better showering experience other than renting an $3500.00 RV? Thank you! :mrgreen:
Wildfire)'(

Burning Since: 2013

Re: How to shower at Burning Man with the wind???

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:24 am

Spray bottle. People use (new) pesticide applicators--the ones with the pump and hose.
Baby wipes. Maybe not as clean, but very little waste and not a whole lot of shivering in the wind.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:45 am

It varies, I guess. Pick a good time of the day, the reverse of wanting to fly a kite. You could build or utilize a windbreak, tall vehicle, outside a tent, etc. I wash my hair over a basin with less than two liters of water, and use adult disposable washcloths before I go to bed. I end up with less than 5 gallons of gray water, from that, and kitchen etc. which I pack out in a 5 gallon container.
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
"I'm not a madame. I'm a concierge."
Elorrum

Postby unjonharley » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:13 pm

The Human Carcass is a public shower of sorts..
unjonharley

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:21 pm

Don't blow $3500 to rent an RV for the week. Buy a $1500 camper or trailer and be totally set up!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby Mojojita » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:39 pm

Google "Zodi shower". It is a small inexpensive battery operated pump with a shower hose - hust heat some water (could use a solar bag without having to ever lift it), dump it in a bucket and voila.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby tamarakay » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:28 pm

Well, the way we showered together in the wind involved a lot of "oh my god" and jumping up and down with a few "hurry hurry hurry" thrown in. So we waited to use the shower until it was as still as possible. In between times, the pump sprayer and wash cloths as mentioned above.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby geospyder » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:44 pm

Yep -pump sprayer and Fresh Bath wipes ...and as unjohnharley mentioned you can also do the Human Carcass Wash. I'd been meaning to do it for a few years now. Last year I finally worked up the nerve and did it. I'll definitely do it again this year.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Somewhere in Hushville

Postby NikkiG » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:04 pm

I bathed in my tent with an Ice cream bucket filled with water, a washcloth, a bar of soap, Baby wipes, alcohol wipes and a travel towel. You might want to lay out an opened up trash bag on your floor. I was fortunate to have a tent that I could stand up in and a small chair to sit down on too. After washing, I used my dirty wash cloth to dry up the wet patches on the floor and any playa dust that mightve gotten in, then I trashed it. I had a new washcloth for every bath.
Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain
NikkiG

Camp Name: Stag Camp

Postby Thecatman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:35 pm

I've used a concrete mixing tray to stand in. About 5in x 15in x 24in. You can find them at the normal box stores. I'll stand in it and pour a one gallon bottle of water over my head and then wipe myself down with a washcloth. I'll use about a half gallon of water each time. It's not a shower but it gets most of the grit and grime and sweat off. I'll leave it in the sun throughout the next day and most if not all the water will evaporate. As far as the weather/wind goes, one has to use their own judgment. Even without wind it can be chilly as the water evaporates off my skin at 5:00 or 6:00 in the evening. And if it windy, it might be useless to take an outside shower, especially if dust is blowing. I posted a picture showing what the tray looks like.

My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby Eric » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:01 pm

I gave up on showering out there years ago - with all the dust you're just going to be dirty a few minutes after you finish anyway. I just use baby-wipes on face & hands, pits & bits in the morning & at night, and wait for my shower until we hit Reno after the event. A real hotel shower after a week is like heaven, even if you wreck 2 or 3 washclothes trying to get all the grime off.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Sham » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:37 pm

I like a shower every day. We have a camping shower stall with a large evap pond. I can wash down with about a gallon of water. I take it mid afternoon when the water is warm and use a plastic salad bowl for washing.
Sham

Postby delle » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:34 pm

Unencumbered, airy but enclosed space

Spritzer and 2'x4' wipes (Patsh knows how to find these wipes... they're Amazing!!!)

Add a soft blanket and some pillows and a Willing Partner, and this can become your favorite time of the day!!!

For hairwashing, a large tupperware bowl is helpful.

Mr.Delle and I had some of the best washing-up times of our entire married life in that space.
GYPSY! We need your opinion on this. STAT!!
delle

Postby Thecatman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:25 pm

Eric wrote:with all the dust you're just going to be dirty a few minutes after you finish

This is true. It doesn't have to be windy and there is still tons of dust in the air.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:39 pm

I kind of felt out of place until I got a good layer of dust on. You may as well embrace what you can't prevent. Just get un=stinky, take care of your skin, & then expect to get dusty moments after getting "clean". The big thing is if the dust adversely affects your skin try to prevent/manage the damage. I found that taking care of my feet, hands, & lips went a long way. Showers were a luxury that I indulged in every couple of days. Maybe one of these days I will work up the courage to try the carcass wash. It actually sounds pretty fun.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:53 pm

I really gotta hand it to you folks who camp at Burning Man. I wouldn't even go if I had to fly in.
Captain Goddammit

Postby unjonharley » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:21 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:I really gotta hand it to you folks who camp at Burning Man. I wouldn't even go if I had to fly in.

your such a furry little kitty
unjonharley

Postby Lowz » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:51 pm

John Clod
For the People
Suarez principle #23 " The Whims of The President and Chairman are final."
I feel every year fantastic, shitty and great days all.
Lowz

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Club Neu Verboten

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:59 pm

Put your heads together and be resourceful, there are countless showering solutions out there that cost less than renting an RV. You could build your a shower stall for not a whole lot of money, time, or effort.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby dragonpilot » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:10 pm

Shower? It's Burning Man fer crissakes. You can take a shower any other time of the year...try going without one for a week....you'll rarely have such an opportunity any other time...and no one will know the difference 'cause we all tend to smell the same on the playa anyway...except for those who shower everyday. Who wants to be one of those people?
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:37 pm

dragonpilot wrote: we all tend to smell the same on the playa anyway...except for those who shower everyday. Who wants to be one of those people?

Me! Me! You're right it's Burning Man! Not a Rainbow Gathering.
Captain Goddammit

Postby BBadger » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:24 pm

The difference is that the Rainbow Gathering people don't shower in Defaultia either. It's not just one week of funk.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby dragonpilot » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:28 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
dragonpilot wrote: we all tend to smell the same on the playa anyway...except for those who shower everyday. Who wants to be one of those people?

Me! Me! You're right it's Burning Man! Not a Rainbow Gathering.

Opps...I think my goatee gave me away.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Wildfire)'( » Sun May 04, 2014 9:59 am

Sooo late in reading some of these replies...but these were awesome ;-) I'm getting so excited to go back! Which I can't believe since the first time was such f@#&ing hell on this princess - ha!
Wildfire)'(

Postby some seeing eye » Sun May 04, 2014 10:31 am

Every year I've had a shower, daily. Of course YMMV. It is easy to construct a frame for a surrounding shower curtain. The fabric needs to be held at the bottom or the wind will wrap it around your body. Suggest seaming it from lycra rather than using plastic. The frame can hold your solar shower. Added features are a dirty spot for playa shoes, a clean spot for clean feet, a bench and places to pile or hang clothing. Often in the afternoon, winds are calm and the solar heated water is warm to even hot. We have even had artistic shower setups. No reason you cannot use the spray method in the same shower space.

Evaporation systems are improving: http://www.evapotrons.info/

In support of some of the above though, there is a theory that mammals mate based on body odor indicating complementary genomes....
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby *Kat* » Sun May 04, 2014 11:11 am

There is a vast number of "privacy shelters" available online and in camping stores.
Last year we had a camping shower that was pressurized (you could pump it up):

It really helped us save a lot of water!
Sometimes even 15 minutes on the street clock is a world away! A letter of the alphabet can be an entire light-year, a galaxy, a universe. - AntiM
*Kat*

Postby tatonka » Sun May 04, 2014 11:39 am

my shower curtain blew over in the wind :( not designed right . So I said fuck it and just stood out in the buff and showered . One day the young German girl next to us in a RV parked her chair about 10ft from me as I showered . I thought maybe thats something they normaly do in Germany :)
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby *Kat* » Sun May 04, 2014 11:46 am

Um. Yes, it is. In Germany you are required to be naked in the sauna. Some people will get really offended if you are not. We also have a bunch of nudist beaches. And you can go naked at any other beach. And small kids run around naked in the fountains all over cities in the summer.

But then again we also have campfires at the beach and beers and cocktails and nobody closes the beach down at night.

My theory is a lot of Americans go to Burning Man just cause they can be naked in public for once. And drinking in public. :mrgreen:

(Forget what I said. It's the complete opposite. Don't come to Germany. It's horrible and everybody is really uptight. We really don't need more Americans crowding our beaches... :twisted: )
Sometimes even 15 minutes on the street clock is a world away! A letter of the alphabet can be an entire light-year, a galaxy, a universe. - AntiM
*Kat*

Postby tatonka » Sun May 04, 2014 11:53 am

*Kat* wrote:Um. Yes, it is. In Germany you are required to be naked in the sauna. Some people will get really offended if you are not. We also have a bunch of nudist beaches. And you can go naked at any other beach. And small kids run around naked in the fountains all over cities in the summer.

But then again we also have campfires at the beach and beers and cocktails and nobody closes the beach down at night.

My theory is a lot of Americans go to Burning Man just cause they can be naked in public for once. And drinking in public. :mrgreen:

(Forget what I said. It's the complete opposite. Don't come to Germany. It's horrible and everybody is really uptight. We really don't need more Americans crowding our beaches... :twisted: )

:) My moms side of the family is from Germany , she didnt speak english till she was 5 when they shoved her into school . I have a uncle that lives there , want to visit him after I retire .
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby *Kat* » Sun May 04, 2014 11:57 am

We also have this public holiday coming up where everybody gets a radio flyer type of cart, decorates it with flowers, loads it up with beer & booze and goes around town drinking. Actually writing about Germany makes me wonder why I bother with Burning Man at all... We don't have dust. I think the dust is the magic ingredient. :mrgreen:
*Kat*

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping