Ultralight Space Saving Supplies for Plane Travelers

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Ultralight Space Saving Supplies for Plane Travelers

Postby NikkiG » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:46 am

I was having a conversation recently with people from my camp. The topic of our conversation was, "How can one burn with ultralight space saving supplies, so that we don't discard a lot of our supplies before returning home?" Don't get me wrong, I want us to have a awesome burn, but I also want us to be smart about what we bring. The last time I went, I came with 2 large suit cases, a bike, 2 six gallon cases of water and a backpack. For some of you, that would be considered light packing, but it wasn't. I found that I didn't use half of the stuff that I brought, so its very possible for one to bring even less and still have an enjoyable burn. Please comment down below because Traveling Burners flying in, or using the Burner Express would appreciate it.
Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain
NikkiG

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Stag Camp

Re: Ultralight Space Saving Supplies for Plane Travelers

Postby NikkiG » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:40 am

I'll get the ball rolling with my camping supplies from last year. I bought some good quality supplies that are definitely reusable.

#1 A down sleeping bag 32 degrees. It is the size of a regular sports drink bottle.
#2 A kids foldout chair for my tent. The chair can support the weight of a 150lb person. If you are a slim person flying in, this might be a good option. Not only did it fit in my large suitcase, it also allowed me to sit down inside of my tent, so I could eat and wash. There are other ultralight space saving camp chairs available for heavier adults. google it(optional)
#3 collapsible bowl and cup set
#4 A travel towel. Its much smaller than a regular towel, but super absorbent. google it
#5 A sturdy tent with at least 4 guylines & very little mesh. I got a cheap 6 person tent for 45 dollars, and I had no issues with it but it was bulky. Get one that fits in your suitcase with plenty of room to spare.
#6 light weight backpack and suitcase, so you can fit more stuff inside.
#7 Two head lamps that pivot up and down, so you don't blind people. Head lamps are awesome because your hands are freed up.
#8 Inflatable pillow. Many are super cheap, and they take up no space in your luggage.
#9 Inflatable mat. There are some sleeping pads and cots that weight 120z-3lbs 12 oz and they take up very little space in your bag(the size of a water bottle) If I were you, I would look into this option. The floor is hard and cold
#10. 12" Military stakes. They are very sturdy, and will hold down most small tents (mine was 8x12 6ft tall) 16-24 bucks depending on how many you purchase.
#11 Utilize all of the space in your bag. Pack items in shoes and water bottles. Every nook and cranny should be utilized.
#12 Wear all of your heavy bulky items when boarding the plane. By doing this you will have more room to pack other items
#13 Food can be bought when you get there, but do pack small items that can only be bought in bulk; such as, tea bags, coffee packs, creamer, oatmeal packs, cracker packs, trail mix, paper plates, salt, pepper, sugar, lotion, sunblock, qtips, alcohol wipes, hair and face products ect. BRING ONLY WHAT YOU NEED FOR THE WEEK. After I purchased my food, I trashed all of the unnecessary packaging (That was a lot of trash) By trashing the outside packaging it made my load lighter, and I produced less trash at the event.
Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain
NikkiG

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:52 am

check out the packing ninja thread. Lemur's images aren't loading there (for me, right now) and here's a link to a website with his photos: http://www.justburn.us/2013/08/pictoria ... t-for.html

very inspiring to one who loads a small car with the equivalent grace of a pitchfork on a pile of blocks.
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
There’s no WIFI but you’ll surely make a better connection.
Elorrum

Postby VultureChow » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:01 am

I also recommend maximizing your carry on luggage. Get the largest carry on that you can get away with. If they have to gate check it for you, no worries, no charge for that. Heaviest densest items go in that bag. No weight limits. Also, BIG FREAKING PURSE or laptop bag. These days you are allowed one "personal item" and one carry on.

I would also add, don't be afraid to depend on neighbors for some obvious things. I know the goal is self sufficiency, but we truly don't need 60,000 hammers and vise grips out there.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:37 am

NikkiG wrote:#4 A travel towel.

All you really need. Just like the Beatles song.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby NikkiG » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:43 am

Thanks for the link to the website Elorrum! I'm pretty sure others will benefit from it as well as myself!

Cryptofish, you are right that towel was a life saver! I use it on my camping trips off the playa

Vulture chow, I would have to agree with you about the big friggin purse, pack as much as you can get away with....lol. But please note that the carry-on bag could be an issue for some travelers. I don't remember which plane I flew on, but they had size restrictions for carry-ons and they were strictly enforced. Many people had to pay for their oversized carry-on bags.

[media]
NikkiG

Postby Canoe » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:10 pm

A minor drift.

Rather than take it with you on the plane, send it ahead and pick it up in Reno.

You can send packages home that way too.
  • UPS will accept deliveries from any shipper, including FedEx and USPS. Costs $5 receiving fee per package.
  • So ship with whoever gives you the best rate, directly to a UPS Store.
  • If you're buying online, most vendors let you ship to anything other than a post office box.
    Many, but not all, online retail companies will give you the lower shipping costs as it's shipping to a business (UPS Store) address, not a residential address.
Coolers can be strapped shut for shipping containers, if you don't mind them getting scuffed.

The North West store (10580 North MCCARRAN BLVD http://www.theupsstorelocal.com/3120/) was Burner Friendly (even had BM notices on their site - not there now... may mean nothing as I see not BM notices on any now) and have lots of parking.
Typically they're open 7:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday to Friday. 9-5 on Sat., 10 to 5 on Sun..
Hours may change - check the link.

Just give your shipping address as:
Your Name
10580 NORTH MCCARRAN BLVD, STE 115
RENO, NV 89503
(775) 746-3988

Haven't used this UPS Store before, but listed at http://www.burningman.com/preparation/t ... rkway.html is http://www.theupsstorelocal.com/4290/
59 DAMONTE RANCH PKWY, STE B
RENO, NV 89521
(775) 852-3777

The Keystone UPS store is more central, and the SaveMart there is Burner Friendly, and usually a BM Ride Share location, recycle, water, etc.., but will likely be a zoo. (In the past, reports of package contents mysteriously disappearing.)
http://theupsstorelocal.com/0949/ (http://www.burningman.com/preparation/t ... stone.html)
They're open until 6:00 p.m. weekdays, 3 on Sat., 4 on Sun..

Now back to your regular program.
Odd. No bears to watch in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby BeeWeeDee » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:39 pm

My first burn I used a small alcohol stove that is also used when I go hiking in the ultra-lite mode. They can either be made from a beer can or you can buy a commercially available one made out of titanium. You can get the alcohol at auto supply stores or wally world. I fired mine up twice in the morning (one liter for coffee, oatmeal, cocoa and one liter for shaving, sponge bath and hygiene). Then for the evening meal I fired it up for a one pot type of dinner.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.
BeeWeeDee

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Elorrum » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:25 pm

BeeWeeDee wrote:My first burn I used a small alcohol stove that is also used when I go hiking in the ultra-lite mode. They can either be made from a beer can or you can buy a commercially available one made out of titanium. You can get the alcohol at auto supply stores or wally world. I fired mine up twice in the morning (one liter for coffee, oatmeal, cocoa and one liter for shaving, sponge bath and hygiene). Then for the evening meal I fired it up for a one pot type of dinner.

I really like the alcohol stove, it's small, and very quiet. Not super fast, but great for just boiling water, or heating soup. I've made some from pepsi cans, but like the pre-made trangia, or svea swiss army mess kit, I also have one of the titanium ones, and it lasts just the right amount of time to make one pot of coffee and then burn out.
stove and stand in one.
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
There’s no WIFI but you’ll surely make a better connection.
Elorrum

Postby unjonharley » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:54 am

Bout 20 years ago I flew to Boston With a full camp in a duffel..Rented a Jeep and camp back across the states.. You can get what a camp needs at a good sports store.. In the hiker climber dept. Nylon is hot but fits in smaller ..
unjonharley

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:22 pm

If the ones found in boats are any indication, I hate alcohol stoves. They won't even melt butter.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Captain Goddammit Ultralight Boat

Postby Canoe » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:30 pm

Thank god. I saw your name as Last Posted and I thought he's got a way to get his boat on board?
Odd. No bears to watch in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby chuckularone » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:31 am

NikkiG wrote:#4 A travel towel.

Now we know that NikkiG is one hoopy frood who really knows where her towel is.
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE
chuckularone

Burning Since: 2014

Return to Shelter & Camping