Trouble with glue and velcro, velcro, velcro!

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Trouble with glue and velcro, velcro, velcro!

Postby kpsf1964 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:31 am

Hi, we're dressing up our shade structure this year and after researching glues to cement the various components together, I settled on WeldWood, which was recommended on a lot of fora and at the hardware store. Unfortunately, neither the water-based nor solvent-based version is working out: the surfaces peel away from each other relatively easily, or buckle and bubble up when there is a temperature change. I quake at the thought of fun the Playa will have with the assembly if this is happening in a heated apartment . . .

So basically, I'm asking if anyone has suggestions for a bombproof cement that can be used to glue the following components together?

Velcro hook/loop to unpainted wood
Velcro hook/loop to painted wood
Velcro hook/loop to fiberglass (you are seeing a pattern at about this point)
Velcro hook/loop to vinyl stripping
Vinyl stripping to fiberglass

All surfaces, velcro backing included, have been lightly sanded in the hope of increasing adhesion. Whatever I use, I'll need a lot of, since feel talking about roughly 30 linear feet of structure (two 15-foot walls).

Please help - the project components are essentially complete, but for this.

Having it all come undone at this point would leave me . . . unglued.
kpsf1964

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Strangelove

Re: Trouble with glue and velcro, velcro, velcro!

Postby lemur » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 am

Velcro hook/loop to unpainted wood <--- nails/staples
Velcro hook/loop to painted wood <--- nail/staples
Velcro hook/loop to fiberglass (you are seeing a pattern at about this point) <-- predrilled holes with small screws and anchors/nuts
Velcro hook/loop to vinyl stripping <-- predrilled holes with small screws/nuts
Vinyl stripping to fiberglass <-- predrilled holes with small screws/nuts
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:46 am

I have some velcro I use to hold my cell phone cradle on my dash board. It worked fine for a while but then the glue started melting. The other day I superglued the crap out of it and stuck it to a plastic plate I have mounted on the dash. So far so good... It even worked with the leftover glue residue on it which I didn't think it would. I have no idea if it'd work on all those materials though.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:50 am

Staple gun, 100% silicone, or GOOP.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby mulch » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:37 am

the best fabric to anything glue Ive found is PL polyurethane black roof and flashing sealant. Its not meant to be a glue but it sticks great and stays flexible enough to bend with fabric and Velcro, and lasts forever, you need a glue cartridge dispenser. Its expensive but less than goop or shoe goo. Those work pretty well too. Even the best latex hot melt glues can lose their stick ability on moving things like fabric. and the best forever glue period is the PL 8x advanced construction adhesive. Its not good for fabric to fabric because it becomes hard, but it pretty well sticks anything to anything forever.
choose damned if you do
mulch

Burning Since: 2013

Postby kpsf1964 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:17 pm

lemur wrote:Velcro hook/loop to unpainted wood <--- nails/staples
Velcro hook/loop to painted wood <--- nail/staples
Velcro hook/loop to fiberglass (you are seeing a pattern at about this point) <-- predrilled holes with small screws and anchors/nuts
Velcro hook/loop to vinyl stripping <-- predrilled holes with small screws/nuts
Vinyl stripping to fiberglass <-- predrilled holes with small screws/nuts

Trying to avoid nails/staples as we're talking no more than 9/16" plywood as a base be the other material are thinner. D have to staple the fuck out of everything and the bond would only be strong at the point of stapling.

Thanks though. May go with the roofing sealant.
kpsf1964

Postby kpsf1964 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:17 pm

mulch wrote:the best fabric to anything glue Ive found is PL polyurethane black roof and flashing sealant. Its not meant to be a glue but it sticks great and stays flexible enough to bend with fabric and Velcro, and lasts forever, you need a glue cartridge dispenser. Its expensive but less than goop or shoe goo. Those work pretty well too. Even the best latex hot melt glues can lose their stick ability on moving things like fabric. and the best forever glue period is the PL 8x advanced construction adhesive. Its not good for fabric to fabric because it becomes hard, but it pretty well sticks anything to anything forever.

I think I'll give this a shot - thanks!
kpsf1964

Return to Shelter & Camping