Camp location information

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Camp location information

Postby mulch » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:44 am

Locating question....

Our small camp will have a special gift to share with friends/ neighbors/ and those who gift us cool stuffs along our way. As we encounter such people, I wasn't sure if just offering it to them and saying " we are at x street and y avenue near the big blue whatsit" would be worth much as people's memory can be poor in such situations. I have considered printing some cards with a picture of what to look for and a map and when we find a camp site we can make an X on the card to show our location. I know that's kind of stupid, but perhaps stupid is good? What do you people think?
choose damned if you do
mulch

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Camp location information

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:26 am

Cards could potentially get dropped and make a mess. Rubber stamps are a lot of fun and you can design one with your logo and address.

There's a strong possibility that people out on the open playa will never make it to your camp, even if they're really intent on it. :D There's a bazillion distractions.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:29 am

I've never done a card, and personally wouldn't suggest it. Keep a sharpie in your pack, and if someone wants to write your address down (in a notebook, on their arm/leg/ass) you're all set to go. Problem solved, significantly lower risk of MOOP.

The thing that will take you some getting used to is that it's not necessary to reciprocate with some item or object in return when someone gives you something (cool or otherwise). This isn't like your usual holiday, where you feel a bit awkward because you didn't get anything for them. It's enough to say thank you and enjoy it for the gift that it is.

Another thing that takes some getting used to is you'll never get to the majority of places you want to go. The city's bigger than you think (even bigger still if you're on foot), and there are millions of distractions. Don't feel bad if that awesome person you shared a moment or special connection (or bodily fluids) with on Monday night never makes it over to your camp for dinner on Tuesday...or any other night.

My camp designs the gifts that we make and share to include our camp's symbol (left-hand side of my signature), which both serves as a tiny reminder of who we are/our place in BRC as well as a locating device if someone's passing through in the neighborhood, and then we've got that symbol on display at the front of the camp. I don't know if that's stupid or not either, but it's what we like to do. :)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby VultureChow » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:45 am

I like the stamp idea. But mudpuppy is dead on. Most probably won't get to you regardless of the reminder.

Or maybe a big bold stamp that says: IF FOUND, PLEASE RETURN TO __________________

Then you can use a sharpie to fill in the camp name and/or address. You can do your own if you want people to find you, or offer it as a service to the more... altered burners out there.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:03 pm

As others have pointed out, gifts are gifts, and are in BRC are generally given out with absolutely no expectation of anything in return (I say "generally" because there are always some people who think it's barter or trade, when it's not). Carry some stuff to give to someone you feel a connection with, don't expect anyone to give you anything & be pleasantly surprised when they do.

When gifting, please remember, no cheap Chinese crap unless it's blinky-lights or flashlights - the rest is just MOOP someone else has to deal with. Gifts can be food, assistance, conversation, they don't have to be material objects. Google "gifts + ePlaya" (without quotes) and you'll find threads on them.

One of my favorite gifts ever was a basic egg/potato/salsa breakfast burrito the Sunday after Burn Night in 2010 when I was starting to have a melt-down. Calmed me down, made me incredibly happy. Simple things work!
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby lucky420 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:30 pm

i like the sharpie idea. Stamps may not stand out on the body through the layer of dust as well...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:39 pm

They actually worked out pretty well if you have a good ink pad. I don't remember stamping any super dusty people though. :D It definitely takes a bit of practice to get a good stamp on people and not having a blurry mess. :D I think the one I made was 4x4".
mudpuppy000

Postby Savannah » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:46 pm

I had the Man stamped on my arm for while. Plenty of ink and careful application helps. You'll probably want to avoid the back of the hand because if there's anything a person might hope to wash, it's that.

If a person doesn't want their body stamped, they can have the stamp placed in a notebook.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:22 pm

Savannah wrote:I had the Man stamped on my arm for while. Plenty of ink and careful application helps. You'll probably want to avoid the back of the hand because if there's anything a person might hope to wash, it's that.

If a person doesn't want their body stamped, they can have the stamp placed in a notebook.

Yeah, apparently sunscreen is really good at removing ink too. :D
mudpuppy000

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:20 pm

And if you're thinking of giving gifts, Mardi Gras beads are the best!! :wink:
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Return to Shelter & Camping