Help please easy to construct shade structure

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: Help please easy to construct shade structure

Postby International Incident » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:38 am

Earthwalker wrote:Other than the aluminet part, that sounds like my life recently: obsessing about BM and falling asleep with visions of my yet-to-be-covered monkey hut in my head. Except I talk to my MH.

"Someday you'll get a cover like a real monkey hut, I swear buddy. Now be a good monkey hut and go sit in the corner you dirty little fuck. What did I tell you about talking back? You want me to slap that ass again? Don't make me take off this belt...I'm warning you! There there, that's a good monkey hut. I'm sorry, i'm sorry. We'll be fine. You'll get your cover and we'll both roll of to the northern Nevada sunset together....I love you monkey hut, like the son I never had"

I love you. You are nuts. I am dreaming of 25 foot monkey huts and assorted conduit based structures. I'm obsessed.
I'm glad I'm not the only loon.
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:13 am

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Earthwalker » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:43 pm

International Incident wrote:
Earthwalker wrote:Other than the aluminet part, that sounds like my life recently: obsessing about BM and falling asleep with visions of my yet-to-be-covered monkey hut in my head. Except I talk to my MH.

"Someday you'll get a cover like a real monkey hut, I swear buddy. Now be a good monkey hut and go sit in the corner you dirty little fuck. What did I tell you about talking back? You want me to slap that ass again? Don't make me take off this belt...I'm warning you! There there, that's a good monkey hut. I'm sorry, i'm sorry. We'll be fine. You'll get your cover and we'll both roll of to the northern Nevada sunset together....I love you monkey hut, like the son I never had"

I love you. You are nuts. I am dreaming of 25 foot monkey huts and assorted conduit based structures. I'm obsessed.
I'm glad I'm not the only loon.

I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad this is the first post I read after being off the board for two weeks. A self-imposed break from the insanity. What pushed me over the edge was getting into a theoretical debate on the "introduce yourself" page when some guy said he wanted to build some fancy camp thing and a bunch of people jumped on him. I was all worked up and all up in it. After that I was like "ok, man, this has to stop. WTF are you talking about. You've never been to BM, you don't know this person or why they're building this camp, and you're losing sleep over it". I have serious obsession problems. It's fine to be obsessed when it's fun, but when it turns into something driving me insane, not cool.

anyhow, I'm back. And want to stay focused on preparations for an awesome experience.

PS-I got mad at my monkey hut and took it apart. It's now sitting in the backyard on timeout. :coffee:
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:02 pm

Savannah wrote:Some RVs do come with a pull-out awning. That would be worth investigating with a rental company. It might also be worth checking to see if all models on the lot have an awning, or just some of them, because I suppose it's possible to show up and find that they are giving you one Without when you wanted one With.

However, these awnings can not be left down when one is out of camp, or during a windstorm. ePlayans have reported that these awnings are not sturdy.

I would highly reccommend never opening an RV canopy on the playa. I have seen them get mangled by much lower wind gusts in sheltered campgrounds (i.e. - surrounded by forest). On the Playa, a stray gust could destroy one before you could even stand up to roll it up.

If you do destroy one it costs between $1,200.00 and $2,000.00 to replace (assuming no structural damage to the RV) so expect to be hit up when you return the rental.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Savannah » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:07 pm

Thank you for emphasizing the delicacy of those things, DrawingABlank! I knew they were no great shakes, but I didn't know they were THAT bad.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Earthwalker » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:07 pm

When you picture the people in your head, are they sitting down? Frolicking? I picture mine on a carousel, one of the old ones, going round and round. They're all on hallucinogens and as they pass the point where I'm "standing", they make their thoughts/feelings known to me, either by saying something that then bounces around in my head like a pinball, or by laughing...even cackling. They're usually all women. I relate more to women and interact with them much better. Possibly because I'm more in touch with my emotions/feelings and hypersensitive, unlike many men. And I was raised by single mom plus grandma and aunts.

But, I digress. I love you all. Except for those of you that I don't. You are assholes and need therapy.

Say what you will, I shall bring a bottle of fine tequila (not patron, and don't you even mention Cuervo) to the meet n greet, which after that madness I allowed myself to get drawn into, I considered not going to for a while. But alas, I have changed my mind. Minds should be changed when the occassion calls for it.

I think at the end of the day, the minute details don't matter so much. Build monkey hut, assemble in desert. YOu know have shade. Pink, yellow, 10ft long or 30, aluminet or tarp, it's still shade, in a desert, and could be blown over

Caffeine is a drug.
Earthwalker

Postby tatonka » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:46 pm

seen a video of a guy on the edge of the playa , he had a camo netting over a stucture , looked like he had shade and the wind went thru it pretty well.
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby AntiM » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:20 am

We use camo netting for our mid-section, but we double it up. One layer is okay, but two provides a deep dapple, very nice, and the wind simply flows through it. So does the rain, the one time we had it.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:48 pm

Did you manage to get that Army Surplus smell washed out of it?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Earthwalker » Wed May 01, 2013 3:50 pm

tatonka wrote:seen a video of a guy on the edge of the playa , he had a camo netting over a stucture , looked like he had shade and the wind went thru it pretty well.

Can you set up camp in the deep playa? Can you be adopted if you're over 18? I met a really friendly Canadian couple in their 60s and I think they'd make for great parents.
Earthwalker

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping