Check out my new shed

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Check out my new shed

Postby Humin » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:42 am

shed.jpg

My buddy got it for free, thinking he was going to sell it. HE actually came to ME and asked if I would want it for anything, and the first thing I thought of was "yeah, I could use that for Burning Man". He even said he'd drive it out there, on the condition he get's to sit in a rocking chair yelling "damn hippies get off my lawn!". He works in a shipping company, he said if I get my hands on some tickets he'll comp the flatbed truck. Just monetary wise, for the price of his ticket I get a ride+shelter, is this a good deal?

It's 8x16, one piece, a little rickety. I'd have to seal the cracks, and it's too heavy to be blown away or blown apart (except maybe the shingles), but there's concern about the foundation. My buddy likes to build shit, he built our deck and our fence, but when I mentioned we'd be working in playa dust he got pretty confused. He's in favor of plopping it right on the ground, I'm not sure if that's a good idea on the dust. I also think we need new doors. Input? Envy?

P.S. I'm trying not use Eplaya as a backboard to bounce ideas off of, or appear as an over-excited newbie (though I am). I wouldn't bring a project to Eplaya unless I was seriosly considering it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Humin

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Check out my new shed

Postby trilobyte » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:11 am

I think you're mistaken on the notion of it being "too big and too heavy to be blown apart" - by your own definition it's a bit rickety. It'll also be freestanding on dust and not embedded into a concrete foundation, then possibly being subjected to 60mph+ winds. I don't doubt that with a little work you could stake it down, and depending on how rickety you're talking, it might be something you can reinforce to withstand the elements.

Otherwise, looks like fun. Offhand you could pair that up with some other decor and do a whole farm theme, or maybe paint it crazy circus colors and turn it into a funny farm...
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby lucky420 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:21 am

Please make sure you fasten any shingles down good. The shingles can and will fly off the roof fairly easy out on the playa. Hot dry conditions +dust+wind+loose shingles=oh fuck! :shock:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Humin » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:28 am

Yeah my friend wanted to do concrete, I said I'm pretty sure that would leave a trace. I'll make sure we get it secured, I might end up coming back for advice. I was thinking duct-tape or caulk for the cracks
Humin

Postby lucky420 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:15 am

Gorilla tape is better on the playa,duct tape doesn't stick as well because of the dust
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby ygmir » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:24 am

really? you see how much moop is there? I see shredded wood on the edges, probably underneath. as stated loose shingles. Bugs. dirt.

It's a great shed, don't get me wrong. but probably great for your back yard.

Are you planning on putting big skids under it, to unload and load? Forklift?
if you just " drop it" you''ll leave moop everywhere, as it falls off"

multiple coats of paint might stabilize the wood and splinters and such, but you'd need it underneath, too. Or put it on plastic so you can catch all the crap that falls off.

You'd want to go and re staple all the shingles.........again as mentioned before, it'll be hot they are old, and the wind will be high speed. I know, if one of those shingles hit me or whatever, I'd return it to you, with prejudice.

As cool as it'd be, especially for someone on their first trip, you might be biting off more than you can chew..........and we don't all want to be there trying to tie it down as is blows over, or picking all the stuff that blows off it up.

duct tape? for the cracks? seems it'd not stick to old dry wood good enough......if anything caulking.

don't sweat bouncing ideas here, we (some) love to help or suggest.
you'll also get crap from people, but, well, a little thick skin will help.

I'd say, for the money and work, you could get a killer tent, and shade/monkey hut (proven structure) and still buy all your booze.......and not have the loading and clean up after.

good luck
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby TomServo » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:01 am

Any annoying moop will probably be removed in transit. No more moop left behind than the mobile offices used by various departments. I say with an extra effort on mooping, Go for it! Id glue, nail, pray the shit out of the shingles though. I like it! Not in the same class as an RV, because it won't be easy!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Bob » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:03 am

I do roofing occasionally. DO NOT fuck with the shingles, just tarp over it for transport.

Weak spot is going to be the floor. Can build that w/ 2x6 framing w/ 5/8" tongue-and-groove CDX plywood glued & nailed on. Make it extend to the outer perimeter, flush w/ the sheathing. Paint the shit out of it top & bottom before you drop the shed on it. Put pressure-treated 4x4 skids underneath attached w/ steel clips to kick it off the ground and allow for forking. Join shed to framed floor w/ steel straps, or strips of 5-ply 1/2" CDX plywood ripped to 12" wide. Use Z-bar flashing where needed.

If it already has a janky floor, might be able to use a pair of pressure-treated 4x6 along the long direction underneath to firm it up.

Inside, use Simpson connectors or somesuch to brace corners and weak spots. I'd look at using foam board insulation and canned spray foam for the gaps, unless you know a spray foam contractor.

Calculate the weight of all this for transport before you get your tit caught in a wringer.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:11 am

Personally I'd consider leaving it strapped down to the flatbed all week and just make a set of steps for easy access.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby TT120 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:34 am

Playa chickens!
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby BBadger » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:41 pm

I know I would just use it to store other playa stuff in the off-season.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby Humin » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:39 pm

lucky420 wrote:Gorilla tape is better on the playa,duct tape doesn't stick as well because of the dust

Good to know, I only mentioned duct tape because I've heard it recomended

ygmir wrote:really? you see how much moop is there? I see shredded wood on the edges, probably underneath. as stated loose shingles. Bugs. dirt.

It's a great shed, don't get me wrong. but probably great for your back yard.

Are you planning on putting big skids under it, to unload and load? Forklift?
if you just " drop it" you''ll leave moop everywhere, as it falls off"

Well I'm going to primer and paint it, someone said we should "lacquer it". I was originally planning on dropping it, but my more enginering inclined friend says we'll need a base to get it on the truck anyway. We'll use a forklift to get it on, but he thinks a ramp and a rolling platform (and a few volunteers) is all we need to get it on and off if we decide to do that.

ygmir wrote:multiple coats of paint might stabilize the wood and splinters and such, but you'd need it underneath, too. Or put it on plastic so you can catch all the crap that falls off.

You'd want to go and re staple all the shingles.........again as mentioned before, it'll be hot they are old, and the wind will be high speed. I know, if one of those shingles hit me or whatever, I'd return it to you, with prejudice.

MOOP is a big concern, I wouldn't bring anything to BM that I thought was unstable. Bob says don't fuck with the shingles, just bring a tarp and secure it well. Painting the bottom is pretty clever btw.

ygmir wrote:As cool as it'd be, especially for someone on their first trip, you might be biting off more than you can chew..........and we don't all want to be there trying to tie it down as is blows over, or picking all the stuff that blows off it up.

duct tape? for the cracks? seems it'd not stick to old dry wood good enough......if anything caulking.

don't sweat bouncing ideas here, we (some) love to help or suggest.
you'll also get crap from people, but, well, a little thick skin will help.

I'd say, for the money and work, you could get a killer tent, and shade/monkey hut (proven structure) and still buy all your booze.......and not have the loading and clean up after.

I see your point, especially regarding biting off more than I can chew. It looks like the shed is getting fixed up either way, homeboy is more excited about it at this point than me. I'll make him do more Burning man research, so he fully understands the weather conditions we'd be facing. Knowing him though, he'll come up with something else if this doesn't work out, the idea of being able to build whatever shelter he wants really appeals to him.

TomServo wrote:Any annoying moop will probably be removed in transit. No more moop left behind than the mobile offices used by various departments. I say with an extra effort on mooping, Go for it! Id glue, nail, pray the shit out of the shingles though. I like it! Not in the same class as an RV, because it won't be easy!

I could see enjoying an RV, but it has to take away from the experiance.

Drawingablank wrote:Personally I'd consider leaving it strapped down to the flatbed all week and just make a set of steps for easy access.

Homeboy likes this. He says it'll be a hell of a lot easier to just buy/make some stable stairs, and it solves the problem of the extra space the truck would take up. This is starting to look like plan A.

To Bob, my friend would like to talk to you about the project some time, but he wanted me say specifically "thanks for the dimensions, sounds perfect".
Humin

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:48 pm

Use elastimer roof coating instead of paint.

Won't peal or chip.

It will be cheaper, no priming, and will seal all the moop in place.

Buy white and throw whatever color you want in it. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:03 pm

Humin wrote:I could see enjoying an RV, but it has to take away from the experiance..

You'll find that plenty of people see an RV as the gateway to enjoying the experience more.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:30 pm

well,
good on ya, whatever you decide.
Thanks for taking the moop issue seriously, I don't know that I'd use lacquer, though. I'd think either good deep penetration primer, and a coat or more of latex (more felxible), or, as FJ wisely points out, elastimeric paint.
regarding the roof/shingles: it may make a difference, as to their stability, how old they are? and, how much the are moved and such, while you handles the building. If it torques and twists a lot, the possibility of shingles coming loose increases.......if they're not very old, and it's warm out, they may be fine. But, if old, brittle, or cool weather when twisting, you might get some loose ones.

good luck
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:41 pm

Humin wrote:I could see enjoying an RV, but it has to take away from the experiance.

You get out of the experience what you want, maybe. A lot of people put a lot into having fun & end up miserable. The place you stay is one of these variables, but everyone is going to experience the Burn differently - even two people sharing the same tent or RV (or barn).

If you think you could enjoy being in an RV, make it an option (but book it now!), if you think staying in a barn would be more fun, go for it. Having a spot you feel safe retreating to is going to be more important than what that spot actually is.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Humin » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:19 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Use elastimer roof coating instead of paint.

Won't peal or chip.

It will be cheaper, no priming, and will seal all the moop in place.

Buy white and throw whatever color you want in it. 8)

Sounds perfect, I'll get on that

ygmir wrote:well,
good on ya, whatever you decide.
Thanks for taking the moop issue seriously, I don't know that I'd use lacquer, though. I'd think either good deep penetration primer, and a coat or more of latex (more felxible), or, as FJ wisely points out, elastimeric paint.
regarding the roof/shingles: it may make a difference, as to their stability, how old they are? and, how much the are moved and such, while you handles the building. If it torques and twists a lot, the possibility of shingles coming loose increases.......if they're not very old, and it's warm out, they may be fine. But, if old, brittle, or cool weather when twisting, you might get some loose ones.
good luck

The shingles are newer than the shed, but still pretty old.

We're getting started tommorow, under the assumption we're going to leave it on the flatbed. Looks like we're using Polyurethane caulk to seal up cracks. We did have other plans this weekend, namely me bullying him into participating in an art project he has no interest in, but this has totally caught his imagination.

Thanks for the input everyone, always appreciated. I'm sure there's plenty of other angles that haven't been worked out.
Last edited by Humin on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Humin

Postby ranger magnum » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:20 pm

I think your shed is an awesome structure on the playa. Just follow the advice you have just been given and all should be fine.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:40 pm

[media]
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Bob » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:18 pm

Consumer grade elastomeric roof coating is okay for RV roofs, not for much else.

Can't tell what the exterior is, but it looks fine to me from a distance. Paint or stain it with something compatible eg a "clear" stain or water seal if you think you need it. It'll be coated with dust and need to get sprayed off in any case. Paint shops might have unclaimed exterior paint at half price, and bulked recycled paint is usually free.

DO NOT try to caulk around every single piece of exterior trim, it'll just peel off. I'd do sealing from the inside on a sunny day so you can see the daylight seeping in. DO try to screw everything securely on the exterior with coated or galvanized screws long enough to grab at least an inch into the framing. Original fasteners were probably light gauge staples, which may work loose in transit.

Bob

Postby Drawingablank » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:34 pm

Humin wrote:

Drawingablank wrote:Personally I'd consider leaving it strapped down to the flatbed all week and just make a set of steps for easy access.

Homeboy likes this. He says it'll be a hell of a lot easier to just buy/make some stable stairs, and it solves the problem of the extra space the truck would take up. This is starting to look like plan A.

Just one more thing to consider. If the flatbed is metal you will probably want to have some air space under the floor of the shed, even if it is just the thickness of a two by four (more would be better though). That should allow some air flow and keep the floor from getting hot enough to cook on.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:55 pm

Not sure how much you'd need to cover the whole shed, but this stuff would definitely render any crumbly, chippy wooden surfaces un-moopable: http://www.cleanerupproducts.com/produc ... case..html

I use it all the time when working with delicate vines, sticks and small bones. Seals them from moisture and strengthens.
A-RockLeFrench

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: PLUNDERGROUND

Postby Bob » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:58 pm

Might want to take notes from these fucques:

http://neverwashaul.com/.

Bob

Postby graidawg » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:01 pm

It's Amish camp. that's what i think. put it on wheels then in the very early hours of the morning just park it outside someone elses camp. and tell them you built them a barn like good Amish neighbours.
leave it their for a few hours while they freak out.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby mdmf007 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:16 pm

Remember if you burn it, you need to prep the ground and get a burn permit as well as register it. decomposed granite has been used for years under all burns to prevent firing the playa into pottery.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Bob » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:19 pm

One does not simply walk into Burning Man and Mordor the place.

Bob

Postby Humin » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:17 am

We did some work on it today, he drilled some stuff, seemed legit to me. We washed it down, I was expecting a lot more splintered wood than we got. We haven't cleaned the bottom. We used polyurethane caulk on the inside for the worst of the cracks, but now we're out, and he says painters caulk won't cut it. Phase 0.2 complete

Bob wrote:Consumer grade elastomeric roof coating is okay for RV roofs, not for much else.

Can't tell what the exterior is, but it looks fine to me from a distance. Paint or stain it with something compatible eg a "clear" stain or water seal if you think you need it. It'll be coated with dust and need to get sprayed off in any case. Paint shops might have unclaimed exterior paint at half price, and bulked recycled paint is usually free.

DO NOT try to caulk around every single piece of exterior trim, it'll just peel off. I'd do sealing from the inside on a sunny day so you can see the daylight seeping in. DO try to screw everything securely on the exterior with coated or galvanized screws long enough to grab at least an inch into the framing. Original fasteners were probably light gauge staples, which may work loose in transit.

Yeah, we took out some staples and put screws in, definately at least an inch in. Still deciding the best method of weather-proofing, but I'm taking a lot of advice from this thread.

[/quote]
Just one more thing to consider. If the flatbed is metal you will probably want to have some air space under the floor of the shed, even if it is just the thickness of a two by four (more would be better though). That should allow some air flow and keep the floor from getting hot enough to cook on.[/quote]
It looks like we're using skids anyway, I'll make sure we have some room. He's already loaded this exact shed once.

A-RockLeFrench wrote:Not sure how much you'd need to cover the whole shed, but this stuff would definitely render any crumbly, chippy wooden surfaces un-moopable: http://www.cleanerupproducts.com/produc ... case..html

noted

About the theme camp ideas, I think they are very cool, but I've decided running/joining a theme camp would take up too much of my schedule, time I'd rather spend participating in a less cosntricting way. I do plan on using the camp to provide goods/services of some kind, but if my shed is my living place I don't think I'd want it being open to the entire BM population.

Bob wrote:One does not simply walk into Burning Man and Mordor the place.

I get what you're saying. We have plenty of room, we were talking about recruiting this girl who's a stage hand. She makes props and stuff, landscapes and whatnot, she can certainly use a drill better than I.

I'll update on the project, thanks for the help.
Humin

Postby Humin » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:20 am

I also think if we made a theme camp we'd be swagjacking these guys
http://galleries.burningman.com/photos/ ... ars&b=true
Humin

Postby Bob » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:59 am

"Hillbilly" goes way back as a Burning Man theme. Unintentionally, mostly.

I'd go for animatronics.

[media]

Bob

Postby Snow » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:37 pm

Will you be offering whippings behind this woodshed? If so I'm getting in line now!
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping