Don’t have a camp site?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Don’t have a camp site?

Postby Drmilamores » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:37 pm

Helloooooo Burners…if you don’t have a camp site, well lets create one. its five of use who don’t belong to a camp. but thats no reason to worry! I’m trying to set a camp of people with no camps…so let me know if your interested! its going to be fuuuun!
Drmilamores

Burning Since: 2012

Re: Don’t have a camp site?

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:02 pm

Every time this happens, I get a happy feeling. You don't need a camp. You can make your own camp! I think the trick it so agree on a general location and then fall backs. And the first people there should go to playa info and input the location in the computer. And also put up signs near where they are and the other places with the address.

Good luck!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Lonely Unicorn » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:06 pm

Well, what kind of camp?

Can we be savages? Monsters!?

How about French?
Lonely Unicorn

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Elorrum » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:08 pm

I think it's great too, but why feel the need to reserve your unknown neighbors, when they already exist all over the place. plenty to go around. You will have all sorts of new friends regardless. Have Fun! Best wishes!
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby TomServo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:28 pm

In 2002, me and 3 others formed "complete stranger camp." We met through emails and discussed our plans online. We met in person, just before leaving for the playa. It was an awesome experience! And truly amazing, at the time, how 4 complete strangers could become an insta-family. Throughout the week, a village formed around our camp. Best of luck with your endeavor!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:57 pm

Stag Camp started this way 6 years ago. It is a tub of awesome topped in funk and YAY.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby CornMan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:17 pm

Orphan Camp started this way, and I was there to witness it.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Milayna » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:47 pm

Where are you thinking about setting up?
Milayna

Postby Drmilamores » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:18 am

Location is unknown at the moment… the only thing known is we will have amazing individuals around us. We can call us whatever we want! savages, french…whatever. I think the sharing of goods, stories, ideas, beliefs is going to be unique. We are taking a few kegs so if you are not staying with us, at least come join us for a drink!!! any ideas are welcomed
Drmilamores

Postby Johnny D » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:14 am

Hey guys. This is my first year and I am struggling not having a camp. My goal was food and shade structure but otherwise I was coming prepared. Coming from Boston and currently have no rental car and traveling alone. I am really handy willing to work but the issue is I cannot deliver supplies, nor have a cooler. However I am happy to construct, design, cook, clean, and pay for food to share. Not sure who in this group might have vehicles, but so far I am going to be hitting a drop point in hopes of a ride. What I am can do though is build a social community for the camp if it makes it to year two. PM me for an example of what I do.

Not sure what to expect, but thought fitting, I as am an orphan...
Johnny D

Postby BreakAes » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:17 pm

I'm in the same boat as you all. The plans I had with the camp I was supposed to join fell through. Drmilamores I'll email you :)
BreakAes

Postby Johnny D » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:36 pm

I am finally all set on my way in thanks BreakAes for the ride offer 2 min after I confirmed with http://brc.toflame.com/ :-( Anyone have a large extra cooler and grill. Like to get some meats and salad which I was not able to do alone taking a flight and bus. I am sure I can get a portage bag (waterproof bag) to fill with meat and ice if I need to take on the bus or happy to paypal or chip funds whatever. Figure a camp needs a meal plan of sorts.. Thoughts

Also I do have an extra ticket to if anyone needs one.
Johnny D

Postby Johnny D » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:19 pm

Looks like the food situation can be easy and curious if anyone has thought on shade. Does anyone have an existing structure or anyone reading this who has a structure like to make friends? I am happy to contribute if I decide not to take the bus in and can head to the Depot.
Johnny D

Postby darius » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:48 pm

Greetings,

My camping situation is currently in limbo and I'm considering just throwing away all my previous plans and either going it alone, or planning something here on the fly. It's unfortunate that some of my best burn buds decided to go with a theme camp that charges dues. Not interested in the least.

I don't want to pool resources like food/water, but I'm definitely down for sharing/gifting the occasional snack or meal. I can be shy at first and I like the idea of planning my social environment a bit ahead of time. I live in san francisco, and plan to head out sunday the 26th. I might even have an extra spot for a ride if someone isn't bringing much with them.

We only got a few days before we all head out, excited to see what happens. Has anyone in this thread made any connections and/or plans yet?

cheers,
d.
darius

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Johnny D » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:39 pm

Darius,

I think so far myself and two others have exchanged contact planned our way in.

Current topics:
    We seem to have 2 pop-up shades (the ones the tell you not to leave up in wind)
    Found a cooler (when I said meal plan I was kidding) - I can buy some chicken and burgers get us through 1st 2 days with perishables
    Grill we might have one.. (I have a small backpack stove)
    How do we find each other? (I suggest we put a not on a pre planned street corner pole suggesting where we went)
    We have not earmarked a place yet

Other than that a better structure would be great. My original issue was that I was flying in so only bringing what fits in a few bags was roughing it without a group. Funny I realize by nightfall I expect to know the surrounding population but the thought of greeting people sounds like a better start vs not having a story on the way in.

Johnny
Johnny D

Postby darius » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:33 pm

Hey there,

So i've changed my plans yet again! Sorry for the confusion. I worked things out with my buddie's camp so I won't be looking to connect with a new group. Best of luck with all your endeavors and have a blast out there on the playa.

cheers,
d.
darius

Burning Since: 2009

Postby dragonpilot » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:43 pm

Is there a camp for shirtcockers? (Not for me...for a friend person I know.)
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Lonely Unicorn » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:38 pm

Hey, it seems like a few of us are looking to take this seriously, and I was wondering if we could get something more effective for making it move along... so I'm making a facebook page.

Also, it seems like we all have some things and need some things... perhaps we can work together?
Lonely Unicorn

Postby Lonely Unicorn » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:44 pm

Lonely Unicorn

Postby GraceDnB » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:22 am

Hey,

I'm in the same boat. This is my first burn!
I am currently sorting out transport from Reno to Burn on the Wednesday but I'll be travelling alone cos everyone else I know have left today from UK for their RVs and have been Burn at least 5 times so are paying high bucks for a theme camp.

Grace x
GraceDnB

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:54 am

Zoom in and pick your spot.

http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/66285/
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Bebowear » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:41 am

I see this has a lot of potential, let's make it happen. So far I'm taking: shade structure, rug, chairs, bike, 3 tents, music, light, generator, extension cords, and power converter. Also taking 2gallons of water per day, and food.
Bebowear

Postby Drmilamores » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:53 pm

The more people the better! Lets make it happen...
Drmilamores

Postby Johnny D » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:25 am

Ok I am confirming I am committed to join. I am flying in traveling light. I am happy to help set anything up and chip in where needed. I am also happy to pay for food makes sense to offer advance.

I have: (not even sure its worth listing)
Lightest Tarp I could find http://www.kelty.com/p-518-noahs-tarp.aspx (cant leave it up of course!)
Small Dome Tent - sleeping gear
Water
Bike
Non perishable horrible food
camp stove ect

The challenge at hand is just where. Where abouts should we suggest a claim and then what street corner should we then leave a message (1st arrival). Then we might decorate or mark the message a certain way to make it obvious.

Thoughts..

Johnny
Johnny D

Postby Lonely Unicorn » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:48 pm

How's 8:30 to 9, on j-K?
Lonely Unicorn

Postby Runs; With Scissors » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:09 pm

Hi, Sounds good to me! I'm in.

I have a yurt (I'm almost done with) which has a copper and silver roof, if that helps for coordination. It's held together with duct tape.

I can bring a really big cooler, which we could use in the social area for drinks and sharing snacks and such. If we took turns re-iceing it, that would be fantasic.

I also have a moderate first aid kit, which contains bandaids and moleskin and such.

I have some zebraish curtains, for adorning what have you and creating some privacy.

I've got a few buckets.... I'm sure there's more.
Runs; With Scissors

Camp Name: love potion

Postby CrispyDave » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:14 pm

dragonpilot wrote:Is there a camp for shirtcockers? (Not for me...for a friend person I know.)

Yes out by the fence... BIG camp full of em...
Plan for the worst, expect the best.
Make the most out of it under any conditions.
If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself.
CrispyDave

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Temple Guardians

Postby Johnny D » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:09 am

Lonely Unicorn - Can we try 8:30 and D?

There is a map there that I need to find to locate some friends already. I will suggest that we leave a map on a pole at 8:30 and D with the location marked. Who ever gets in that area 1st should go to this location park on the road find an open spot ask everyone nearby to make sure its not reserved theme camp (look at the map you get on entry). Then take an extra map at the gate and mark the spot you found with enough areas for a few structures and 10 tents and put it on pole 8:30 and D in some envelope you can mark real big "Drmilamores" who started the thread and tape it there in a ziplock bag. Also give a description of what to be looking for "BIG RED TEND NEAR RV THAT SAYS "XXX" ect" and who we are asking for....!

If we can agree to do this then the rest will fall into place. If this is not the best way, place then lets modify. Its Friday and we have:

Bebowear - Lost of gear generator
BreakAes & Drmilamores - coming in together with a Monkey Hut
Lonely Unicorn
Runs; With Scissors - Yurt & cooler

Once we collect then we can position cars as wind block and set up the tent leaving room for our larger structures. Does this help.. Make sense? Its Friday and I am leaving tomorrow so Id like to set a "how do we find each other" in motion as we all arrive at dif times and dont know who will be there 1st. That pole is literally the only way that I see unless another better idea. Can you guys confirm you agree? That way anyone reading this after can follow the same directions to find us and we will maintain the note/description...(A few vets told me to use this method and there will be a nearby pole)
Johnny D

Postby jugglenauts » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:15 am

We want in, how can we help? We have a big ass tent we can bring or just a tiny one for the two of us. We are taking public transportation out, so not bringing a ton. However, we are hard working, and ready to help.
I have pillows, tons of sunblock, ziplocks galore, water, food. Can bring kitchen gear for the group. If we start a needs list I am happy to work on it.
Beyond excited
jugglenauts

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:46 am

No matter where you camp, you will have 1000s of new neighbors. It is what you make of it.
No go burn some shit!
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping