RV insurance - not from the place I am renting from?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

RV insurance - not from the place I am renting from?

Postby cabe » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:30 am

Hi all -

The vendor I'm renting this years' RV from (Metro RV in LA) does not offer insurance that covers the RV during the course of the rental. They used to refer to someone who would write a standalone policy, but that group (Fast Track Insurance in CA) decided this summer (long after I had put down the deposit on this RV) that they will no longer offer this policy. So far I've only found one vendor that will, XInsurance.com which wants $2200 for an 11-day policy - highway robbery.

The other option is to insure a car with AAA or AllState - their auto policies also cover you when you rent an RV. But - I don't own a car so this is not an option for me. (I am pursuing this with a campmate that does, though.)

A third option is to purchase travel insurance - but I've only found one place that doesn't specifically exclude RVS, and they will only cover up to $8K. The RV place says that's not enough and they won't rent to me if that's the only coverage I have.

I've called about 15 brokers and insurance companies, big and small, to find someone that might do this. (Someone else on eplaya suggested Hagerty; I have tried them too.)

So I am checking in with the community (drink!) - does anyone know of an insurer who will write a policy that covers a rented RV for 11 days at BM - or know of another approach to this (i.e. the find-a-policy-to-cover-something-else-that-also-covers-this approach)?

Thanks in advance for any help...see you in the dustpocalypse one way or another.
cabe

Re: RV insurance - not from the place I am renting from?

Postby dragonpilot » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:49 pm

I provide my personal insurance company with the VIN, year, make, and model of the RV I'm renting. They provide the RV company with a binder that covers the period of use....no extra fees for this service. YMMV.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Re: RV insurance - not from the place I am renting from?

Postby cabe » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:09 am

Thanks Dragonpilot. I think that is probably the best way forward for most people. Unfortunately I don't own a car in the US so not an option for me. Still searching!
cabe

Return to Shelter & Camping