Sealing up the vents on an RV???

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Sealing up the vents on an RV???

Postby Bikesboardsbabes » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:07 am

Anybody have recommendations for sealing up the venting on a RV or Travel Trailer.

I'm concerned about the breathing and exhaust vents on my refrigerator getting to much dust in them to breath. I was thinking something like a breathable barrier like Tyvek, something with a very fine weave but that still breaths? How about the water heater as well, cover it when its not on and uncover when your running it (it puts of a ton of heat)??

Thanks guys!
Bikesboardsbabes

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Sealing up the vents on an RV???

Postby Just_Joe » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:24 am

If it's fine enough to keep dust out, it's probably going to inhibit circulation enough to create problems. We run the water heater in the morning and it keeps temps warm throughout the day. The only thing I do is cover the range vent on the outside- My first year (with it uncovered), I ended up with dust dunes on the cooktop.
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: ABC (Alphabet Block Camp)

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:34 am

Range vent is a must, and if your rv windows have those 2 little vent holes on the bottom edge of the frame, it helps to tape over those as well.

I wouldn't even consider covering an exhaust vent - you might find yourself dead from carbon monoxide.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby jella » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:41 am

We have an older rv and I taped up the heater grate with cardboard and all of it's vents with blue painters tape. Anything you can see daylight from outside into the coach though a access door is a place for tape :) I used a whole roll !
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Return to Shelter & Camping