Damaged tent poles - pole repair set or replace altogether

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Damaged tent poles - pole repair set or replace altogether

Postby scott_k » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:42 pm

The shock cord (elastic cord) of 3 out of 4 of my tent poles has snapped. Also, some of the ferrules have become warped from camping in windy places. In the past, I successfully repaired the poles of my other tent (a 3-person tent, which I still own and will bring to BM as a backup). However, I'd like to bring my 6-person tent (the one with the damaged poles) but it will certainly require extra effort.

I'm confident in my ability to repair the poles upon arriving at the playa. By using repair kit(s), and gaffers tape at each of the ferrule points, I think I'll be able to make the tent even more structurally sound than it was last year.

However, maybe some of you have more experience with repairing these things for use at Burning Man, and would advise against it. Should I just replace the poles?

It seems unnecessary and too expensive.

What do you think?
scott_k

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Damaged tent poles - pole repair set or replace altogeth

Postby Rice » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:49 pm

scott_k wrote:The shock cord (elastic cord) of 3 out of 4 of my tent poles has snapped. Also, some of the ferrules have become warped from camping in windy places. In the past, I successfully repaired the poles of my other tent (a 3-person tent, which I still own and will bring to BM as a backup). However, I'd like to bring my 6-person tent (the one with the damaged poles) but it will certainly require extra effort.

I'm confident in my ability to repair the poles upon arriving at the playa. By using repair kit(s), and gaffers tape at each of the ferrule points, I think I'll be able to make the tent even more structurally sound than it was last year.

However, maybe some of you have more experience with repairing these things for use at Burning Man, and would advise against it. Should I just replace the poles?

It seems unnecessary and too expensive.

What do you think?

Good question!

If the weather is like 2011, repaired poles would be ok. You might want to get new poles and have your old (repaired) ones as backup. I have heard lots of rumors of this year being wild (very windy, mega-dusty, etc...). The wind is difficult to predict, new parts might survive better.

my $0.02 ($0.09 Cdn)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby scott_k » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:22 pm

Thanks for your input. True, there is no way of knowing how windy it will be.
scott_k

Postby Trishntek » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:14 pm

http://www.texsport.com They have repair kits which are more robust materials than many OEM poles and fittings.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:28 pm

I've alway thought it would be easy to replace cheap poles with 1/2 emt, if they don't have to flex like a dome tent.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Trishntek » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:37 pm

Flexible poles is what I understood the context involved. I cannot recall having issues with rigid poles,,, of course you can take that any way you want. 8)
Trishntek

Postby scott_k » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:41 pm

I just ordered the Texsport repair kit and 100' of cord. I'm going to fix the damage at home and bring the supplies to the burn in case something happens. Thank you.
scott_k

Postby trilobyte » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:27 pm

Personally I'd just replace the broken poles, so I've got something I consider "known good." But if you've got a solid repair and the tools to take care of any emergencies you should be fine.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Trishntek » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:54 pm

The above-mentioned repair kits do actually replace the broken sections and ferules. If necessary they have replacement cord also. So, instead of replacing the entire pole, you are able to replace only the part that is damaged. The sections come in lengths which, for my purposes, had to be trimmed a fraction of an inch. This is easily done with a tubing cutter. Plus they offer them in the pole diameters your particular tent requires. Other than possible color differences, you will never know it has been repaired by looking at it.

And just so anybody who cares knows, I will have these parts with me on the playa for anyone who finds themselves in need. Just stop by Retrofrolic and ask for me. I'll be glad to help any way I can.
Trishntek

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:42 pm

Please do us a favor and state the make and model of the original tent. Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Have you tried your local REI? They do repairs, and may be able to sell you used poles.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Return to Shelter & Camping