Simple Shower Design

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Simple Shower Design

Postby Esteban Ohh » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:13 pm

I'm dragging my woman out there this year and she absolutely insists on being able to take a shower. We're flying in, so here's what I came up with ...

ok, ready? drumrollllll ...

(the shower bag would be hung from the top)

btw, those are some pipes i have here at the house, they're used for my geodesic dome.

i plan on using smaller diameter pipes, not sure what size yet. i figure what ill do is when i fly into reno and go to home depot, i will prop up different diameter pipes to see at what point they start to be too flimsy for this. and to fasten them together at the top? i dunno, duct tape?

oh and i will be bringing a smaller diameter inflatable kiddie pool. i will then scoop up the used greywater and put into 5 gallon home depot buckets and pack it out.

so, whadya think? its gotta work! its just got to, i know it will.
Esteban Ohh

Burning Since: 2006

Re: Simple Shower Design

Postby dragonpilot » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:32 pm

Are you gonna rig a single pulley system to hoist the bag? Lifting 5 gallons of water ain't easy...YMMV.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Theraplst » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:04 pm

I imagine that 1. you're gonna want some thicker rebar to put that in the ground 2. you're gonna want something sturdier than duct tape, maybe cut some ridges in the top of the pipes and tie it together with some 1/2" rope.
They call me simba
Theraplst

Postby some seeing eye » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:21 pm

Practice at home the 1 gallon shower. Short hair I do ~3/4. The 2 gallon camping solar shower bags with on/off valve shower heads are great at 4-5PM. Available any outdoor store. It can be surprisingly cool in the afternoon in the wind, so windbreak, visual privacy, as desired, is something useful. Spot to declothe, dry, reclothe elevated from playa mud like a slatted pallet and bench plus clothes and towel hook is useful. Easy to try out your system at home in the back yard. Plenty of shower threads, and grey b gone threads. Washing will improve your life! Appears you are on the right track.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Esteban Ohh » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:36 pm

excellent points/advice from all! thanks guys! instead of pulley i would either just put in enough for one shower at a time (1 gallon?). or if i did more like 5 gallons, i could lower the poles and attach the bag, then have 2 other helpers push the poles together to lift it back up. and yea i would need to drill holes through the pipes at the top and thread some rope through to fasten them together.

some seeing eye, can you link me to some of those shower threads? i searched and only found like two and they werent all that interesting (to me).
Esteban Ohh

Postby MikeGyver » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:37 pm

If you set up an evaporator you will have less grey water to pack out. But at the same time you will have more to pack in.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby moonrise » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:54 pm

HomelessDepot cement mixing tub would cost about the same as an inflatable kiddie pool. It'll be easier to pour into a 5 gallon jug with a cap (maybe use a cheap plastic funnel for pouring into the 5gal jug). If rinsed/washed out after the burn, I think all of these useful things could be donated to the Goodwill in Reno.

Sometimes the store is out of things when you need them, sooo...
If you have a commercial homeless depot accnt, they'll hold your order for you. It's easy to get a commercial accnt at homeless depot, just tell them you're a landlord or you're a maintenance man, they don't check (or care).
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Trishntek » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:52 pm

Just drag her by her hair out back and spray her down with a garden sprayer,,, better yet,,, take two garden sprayers and make it a water fight!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:02 pm

Human Carcass Wash at Polyparidise! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby moonrise » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:02 pm

My pole needs a new hole! Aaaand it's pointing in the WRONG direction.

Git yer mind outta the gutter...I'm referring to the new shower hanging apparatus I welded to my trailer. I discovered some improvements that need taking care of....back to the drill. And more field testing is on order, for all of ya's! ;)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby dragonpilot » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:07 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Human Carcass Wash at Polyparidise! 8)

Always gets my vote!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Xain » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:14 pm

We Used 2 xtra large Hula hoops (wallyworld)
And then dollar-store Shower curtains with rings at top and bottom ( line the bottom and top with duct tape and use a hole punch or any sharp object to make the holes)
It takes two or even three curtains to go around The hoops with a lil overlap. The hoops were less than $10 the rings were $3, the curtains were $5 the 5 gallon solar bag was $8 ( we bought two, one in the sun, one in use, and switch)

So total cost was less than $40 and gave us a pretty comfortable private playa shower.

The entire apparatus was suspended from a 2x4 attached to a structure we had, but I imagine the tripod design would work as well, we just used a tarp on the ground with scrap lumber rolled up in the edges to make a shallow evap pool.

A steps tool in the center keeps u from standing in the grey water)
---------------------------------------------------------
You know you're a burner when...
Xain

Postby Esteban Ohh » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:03 pm

Ok, scratch that! Got an even simpler idea...

Battery Powered Water Pump!

http://george-sports.store.buy.com/p/ba ... 73754.html

it even says right on there its for camping/boating.

I think this would be easier than buying pvc pipes in reno and constructing a pyramid just to be able to hang a water bag overhead.

what do you think?
Esteban Ohh

Postby Homiesinheaven » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:45 pm

hey there, i've used a similar set-up in previous years with PVC. you can buy connectors for the top corners but you'll have to cut some PVC pieces to get it all to fit. i believe i used one "T" connector for the leg that sticks out and 2 elbow connectors for the side pieces. you can kinda see it all here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/homiesinheaven/4973100782/

when you measure out the legs make sure you account for anything you're standing on and the size of the solar shower. longer is better. i wouldnt bother with guy lines, just lay it down when the shower is not in use. easy. but then again, so are water pumps and garden misters. whatever shower experience you prefer...

;)
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Sunbeam56 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:07 pm

If anyone is still around, would you post and tell us what the result of your efforts were?
Did your designs work?
Any changes you would make?
Let GOOD win!
Sunbeam56

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan

Postby Sham » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:30 pm

For a few years, I just used a camping shower stall. I used 2x4's and a large tarp for a evaporation pond. This past year we made a stall out of 2x4's and wrapped it with a tarp. This years was roomy enough for 3 people at one time!
Sham

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:39 pm

I like the Pyramid Power from the OP. Stout, channels paranormal energies, etc.

It doesn't look like that pop-tent shower enclosure would hold up the water bag, Sham. It would provide some privacy, if you're into that kinda stuff....
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby dietrichdr » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:17 pm

Nothing beats a real soaking tub at Burning Man.......

dietrichdr

Return to Shelter & Camping