Pepboys Carport 12x26

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Pepboys Carport 12x26

Postby gtbsquared » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:41 pm

These are $250 but they are only 1-3/8" instead of 2"... Playa safe?

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/ ... _shelters/
gtbsquared

Re: Pepboys Carport 12x26

Postby illy dilly » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:45 pm

Sure!
Just stake it down with ratchet straps and rebar from at minimum the 4 corners and call it good. Probably, don't try and hang a hammock from it.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:59 pm

Make sure to read online reviews of any ratchet straps you buy for the purpose. For example, I've read a bad review of the Harbor Freight ratchet straps on these boards. Apparently, you get what you pay for.

The wisest shade guy I know would probably put down two rebar per corner, and one for each rib, on the sides. Better to over-engineer than not, and keep yourself and your neighbors from getting hurt.

Don't forget to cover the tops of your stakes with rebar toppers, plastic pop bottles, or tennis balls scored with an "x".
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby CornMan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:08 pm

To really be safe and over engineer it, attach a strap from each fitting junction to a point about 5 feet away from each particular vertical pole on the outside of the carport and also attach a strap from each fitting to one rebar stake with an eye that is pounded in the ground in the center of the floor on the interior of the carport. You can choose to either climb over the straps or crawl under them while moving around in the carport.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Return to Shelter & Camping