2012 Costco CarPorts?

This is the place where you can ask for or offer recommendations for event-related goods and services.

Re: 2012 Costco CarPorts?

Postby FossaFerox » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:17 pm

BeeWeeDee wrote:
FIGJAM wrote:The longer the better.

The diameter isn't as important.

14' or longer!!!

Holy Crap Batman - I can see the need for a power driver now.

The hard part is getting them tapped while on the damn step ladder.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby Ratty » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:29 pm

Bbadger, If you don't put feet on it, it will have a very solid base. As the wind shakes it, it sinks into the ground. It can't skitter across the playa because it gets 'grounded' as it works itself into the ground. After one day it's solid.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby --Ever-- » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:51 pm

Ratty wrote:Bbadger, If you don't put feet on it, it will have a very solid base. As the wind shakes it, it sinks into the ground. It can't skitter across the playa because it gets 'grounded' as it works itself into the ground. After one day it's solid.

Then where do people use the popular lag bolts? Perhaps just for the guy-line straps?
Our truest life is in our dreams awake.
--Ever--

Burning Since: 2003

Postby Fan C » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:57 pm

--Ever-- wrote:
Ratty wrote:Bbadger, If you don't put feet on it, it will have a very solid base. As the wind shakes it, it sinks into the ground. It can't skitter across the playa because it gets 'grounded' as it works itself into the ground. After one day it's solid.

Then where do people use the popular lag bolts? Perhaps just for the guy-line straps?

That's one option. I just torqued the the bolts through the legs until the little extension on the feet was crimped in and tight to the leg pole. no shaking on my setup. I've also considered just ditching them too. Thing is to get all the side panels to fit nice it helps to stake the feet last. I'm thinking rebar along side the pole and tie/tape/ziptie etc together.
Fan C

Camp Name: Mighty Misfits

Postby --Ever-- » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:20 pm

It sounds like the consensus is that securing the carport has two steps:

• Secure the structure vertically. Popular methods include using guylines or straps. (anchoring the feet does not qualify for this step)
  • Secure the structure horizontally. Popular methods include candy-caned rebar / lag bolts through the feet plates, or rebar into the ground and then secured to the legs.

I'm curious if someone can share the best method for the first step, assuming the feet are secured using one of the second step's method.

I'm looking to buy my material now for the vertical bit, and I don't want to blow money on rope/straps etc if one is more proven than the other. Lengths and number of tie points would be great to know too. Thanks!
--Ever--

Postby Fan C » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:27 pm

--Ever-- wrote:It sounds like the consensus is that securing the carport has two steps:

• Secure the structure vertically. Popular methods include using guylines or straps. (anchoring the feet does not qualify for this step)
  • Secure the structure horizontally. Popular methods include candy-caned rebar / lag bolts through the feet plates, or rebar into the ground and then secured to the legs.

I'm curious if someone can share the best method for the first step, assuming the feet are secured using one of the second step's method.

I'm looking to buy my material now for the vertical bit, and I don't want to blow money on rope/straps etc if one is more proven than the other. Lengths and number of tie points would be great to know too. Thanks!

What I've done at home is to tie all my guy lines to the frame before attaching the legs, I also have a line that runs down the spine tying the sections to each other to prevent it from coming apart under stress. I then put the tarp over the top and then is the get thing up and start tying off ASAP. This is when the wind will gust :shock: Same will happen when putting up the Galaxy hut and our yurt.

Just gotta have it ready to lash down quickly once it's up.
Fan C

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:37 am

Instead of guying out from the carport, I like the idea of running the guy lines in a cross from the top of one leg to the bottom of the next leg.

This puts an X in all the sides. (leave one space open for access)

Helps with the tripping hazard and you can attach the ratchet straps to the lags holding the foot plates! (less lags to install) 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Fan C » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:52 am

Oh yeah, forgot that detail. That's how I run my lines too. makes a neat little well secured package.
Fan C

Postby --Ever-- » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:20 am

Awesome thanks.

So to clarify, you use the same lag bolt to secure the a leg as you do to secure a guy line?
--Ever--

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:00 am

Yes.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Fan C » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:12 am

--Ever-- wrote:Awesome thanks.

So to clarify, you use the same lag bolt to secure the a leg as you do to secure a guy line?

I don't but either way should work well. I just happen to have way more lags/playa staple/rebar than a camp twice my size would need so I go overboard.
Fan C

Postby --Ever-- » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:00 pm

FYI, as of yesterday Costco in Richmond has a few palettes of 10x20 "Canopies." None in SF when I called.
--Ever--

Postby creativecstasy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:18 pm

--Ever-- wrote:FYI, as of yesterday Costco in Richmond has a few palettes of 10x20 "Canopies." None in SF when I called.

I also saw them at this Costco on Sunday. They're near the back corner, between booze and home goods.
creativecstasy

Postby Bounce530 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:12 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Instead of guying out from the carport, I like the idea of running the guy lines in a cross from the top of one leg to the bottom of the next leg.

This puts an X in all the sides. (leave one space open for access)

Helps with the tripping hazard and you can attach the ratchet straps to the lags holding the foot plates! (less lags to install) 8)

I don't think I've paid attention enough to see this done. I was just planning on running ratchet straps down and out from the top bars of the sides to rebar. But I like this idea better, but want to be clear. I can just loop over an end of a strap and hook it to itself at the top of one of the uprights, then run that strap down to the bottom of the next leg, hook it to itself and then crank down on the ratchet, Repeat 6x. I'll have each leg attached to a big 'ol rebar. And this way I don't have to guy lines??
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:27 pm

Think of them AS guy lines, they just go a different direction.

If the rebar holding down the leg bases are candy caned, then hook your strap right to that.

You don't want it sliding up the pole. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Bounce530 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Wonderful!!
I will burn the plan of having guy wires running outwards.
Thanks!!
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Postby Noctis » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:03 am

does anyone have pictures of a secured carport? I am confused on ratchet straps. I got the rebar thing down for the legs, but don't know what else to do. (like guy lines)
Noctis

Burning Since: 2014

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:47 am

What I could find......

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Ano » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:24 am

For the record, My carport survived every single bit of wind this year with flying colors, including pre-event craziness when it was on it's own down on H street for a few days. I had eight Ratchets outside (two from each corner), and then twelve inside (X style on each wall to prevent tarp billowing except for the central door walls, and then two big X's on each outside wall). I was surprised it stayed standing better than a big monkey hut nearby.
Ano

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Postby Foxfur » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:06 pm

Ano wrote:For the record, My carport survived every single bit of wind this year with flying colors, including pre-event craziness when it was on it's own down on H street for a few days. I had eight Ratchets outside (two from each corner), and then twelve inside (X style on each wall to prevent tarp billowing except for the central door walls, and then two big X's on each outside wall). I was surprised it stayed standing better than a big monkey hut nearby.

Holy shit, Ano! That's a crapload of ratchets. I love overkill, it allows smug 'Toldjaso's'...
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Camp Name: Camp Foxfur @ 2:45 & C

Postby Oldguy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:35 pm

8+12= 20 straps, 4 straps per package means 5 packages- check! Each carport uses 5 packs, so 3 carports need 15 packs. Plus rebar, and/or screws, and/or T stakes. A ladder, a mallet, duct tape, and wing-nuts.

I slept out in the open on an army cot this year: no tent, no shelter. Shady next to the pickup. Did not need my STUFF.

:coffee:
Image current moon
A starving man will eat with the wolf.
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005

Postby AntiM » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:13 am

FIGJAM wrote:What I could find......

Holy crap, those are old. Mojave Drums, AZ and Roach Lake, NV. Right before we found our current configuration. We rarely use both carports at regionals anymore, and never upright. The red Xs are not ratchet straps, they are drawn in over our ropes.

014 - Copy.JPG

013 - Copy.JPG

One of our carports during set up in 2012, I think. Note the custom spliced ropes with tensioners which attach to custom welded rebar. Larry learned how to splice rope in the Navy, a lost skill. That rope cannot come untied, ever. Our rebar could kill vampires. Once the rope is looped over the cross bar, it is pounded the rest of the way in and topped with a construction cap. Pound it in at angle, and the rope cannot never pull it straight up out of the ground. Ratchet straps tend to get borrowed or repurposed or put on by someone who has no idea how to use the ratchety thingy.

Then we face the two carports toward each other, secure the camo, then slide two EZ up frames under that. The EZ up frames are held in place by the weight of the carports and bungee cords, and they aren't moving.

015 - Copy.JPG

We NEVER use the footplates to hold anything but the legs. They are not truly sound enough to hold crap down. Ours don't sit flat anyway using the clamshell tilt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Read Me!! Ticket Sellers and Seekers!

Really, read the damn sticky posts.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Ano » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:36 am

To me, overkill = safety. I'd much rather be sipping lukewarm beers during a dust storm than worrying about my carport flying away! I know that they have a high chance of failure, and I've even had mine try to float away before in mild wind... and the playa can get really nasty out of nowhere... One of those weather events was enough to make me batten down my hatches to a nearly absurd An extra 30 minutes of ratcheting and 45 of rebar pulling at the end of the week is worth it to me. It was the most solid structure in camp, and the only one that didn't need much re-adjustment through the week, and I didn't even have the privilege of a windblock. I'd consider it a success!

I love my carport with the windows open in the midday heat. It's comfortable! This year we turned half of our carport into a cuddle puddle/napping nook, with a big memory foam mattress topper, pillows, and blankets. It was a hit, especially when we'd all mosey back to camp around 8 or 9am. We had a figjam cooler that would blow over the space, and it was a glorious little slice of playa!
Ano

Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Postby Doctor VonBacon » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:17 am

Just an FYI -

Costco has replacement Canopy roof covers for the 10x20 carport in stock on their website for $60 + $5 shipping.

[mod edit: old carport thread is dead, long live the new carport thread!]
I like eggs.
Doctor VonBacon

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Previous

Return to Recommendations