2012 Costco CarPorts?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: 2012 Costco CarPorts?

Postby FIGJAM » Mon May 20, 2013 6:50 pm

Depends on the holes in the feet of the carport.

The 3/8" lags fit perfectly through a grommet without a washer.

You screw them in and screw them out, so there's no "pulling".

They come 2' long in the larger sizes and once thier screwed in I would need a chain hooked to my truck to "pull" them out. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby 48_love » Fri May 24, 2013 1:44 pm

3/8" X 14" lag bolts? I like that idea.

Do you use four per foot pad, or how many?
48_love

Burning Since: 2013

Postby FIGJAM » Fri May 24, 2013 2:49 pm

2 per pad should be plenty.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby TomServo » Fri May 24, 2013 2:57 pm

Do you recall which years you used these lag bolts?
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby FIGJAM » Fri May 24, 2013 3:04 pm

Used them the last 2 years, but not on a carport.

Once the threads bite into the hard subplaya, it's like thier screwed into a 4x4.

I could'nt get them out without unscrewing them. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby unjonharley » Fri May 24, 2013 3:11 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Used them the last 2 years, but not on a carport.

Once the threads bite into the hard subplaya, it's like thier screwed into a 4x4.

I could'nt get them out without unscrewing them. 8)

That is where the hammer-drill comes in..
unjonharley

Postby TomServo » Fri May 24, 2013 3:11 pm

Not doubting you, but wind has a LOT more leverage with a complete carport, than a single person. To be safe, I'd at least tie a safety rope to a vehicle. 110mph gusts in 1999, and a 14 hour heavy storm at 4th of juplaya in 2007 and a good 10 hour one a month later.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby FIGJAM » Fri May 24, 2013 3:18 pm

I ment pulling them with a chain on my truck!

They would bend, but not pull out.

I think the carport frame would bend before the lags would give way.

It takes a hole hog drill to provide enough tourque to get them in and out, but with patience you can do them with a ratchet and socket. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby unjonharley » Thu May 30, 2013 11:34 am

I'm planing on running my bucket cooler through the A/C vent in the overhead..

The A/C is to old the recharge.. So this morning I turn the thing on.. Just wanted to see if every thing was working.. Bad idea... Playa dust storm.. I loved it.. Wont have to telk my short for a week...
unjonharley

Postby unjonharley » Thu May 30, 2013 1:08 pm

OOPS WRONG THREAD
unjonharley

Postby Ano » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:39 pm

Hello all, just decided to give an update on the carport. Brought it out for camping - absolutely fantastic.

The 3/8ths rebar fits perfectly through the feet, and once the feet are secured, it felt pretty good. However, I must also emphasize what everyone else emphasizes: THIS THING IS AN AMAZING SAIL! I am sure I could propel a tiny boat across the Atlantic with this thing. Multiple times during the weekend, this thing wanted to hop away. It only felt safe after ratcheting it all down. But, wow - this thing is not only ridiculously sturdy, but it provides amazing shade, and is incredibly roomy. I will be fitting a 9x7 and 7x7 tent underneath this thing for the Playa. I also bought a 10x20 ground tarp for later use.

Overall, I love this thing. Thanks for the help, folks!
Ano

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: ???

Postby HurtYurt » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:55 am

Does anyone know the size of the ball bungees that the carport comes with (6", 12" ?).
I need to replace a handful, but carport is sitting up in Gerlach which is a bit of a round trip just to replace some ball bungees :)
HurtYurt

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Pretentious Fox

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:14 am

Get some bungee at a fabric store and just replace the cord on the old balls. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby CornMan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:44 am

Bringing your Costo camping is like having your own cabin. It's very comfortable.

The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby fgcastle » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:20 pm

HurtYurt: you can also completely replace the bungees with dynamic rigging using parachute chord or something similar. This is supposed to be a stronger method of attachment during high wind.
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fgcastle

Postby Jyman » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:11 am

Sounds like ratchet straps are preferred to anchor down, but as for rope would 244 lb do the trick? I heard someone mention going nuts with 1k lb rope, but I'm not trying to overspend on rope, just want to be in the safe zone.

like these?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-8 ... g-1JxnXo7A
Jyman

Postby Ano » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:24 pm

Wow. Carport camping is absolute luxury! I had such a damn great time with mine. I had a tent underneath and a 10x20 tarp as the ground. I stapled each foot into the ground with a 4ft 3/8th" Rebar that was candy-caned. I had two support ratchet straps coming off of each end, and it held fine through the Monday storms. I had all the walls on and windows down as well. A few things I learned -

1. Bring hanging shelves to put essentials in. The damn place is so big that I kept misplacing things all over the place, which leads to...

2. be prepared to be a bit more organized and thoughtful about where you put things. It's so big that I just kind of made a mess in there.

3. A ground tarp is ESSENTIAL! Also, bring a broom. I forgot one and by the end of the week it was dust city everywhere. I feel like it would have been much more comfortable with a broom.

4. IT GETS HOT! I camped in a place where I couldn't really open the windows (long story) but I wish I could have. I got cooked out every morning. Swamp cooler next year most definitely! Or, maybe I'll cover it with aluminet...

5. Assemble it pre-playa! I'm so glad I practiced doing it. Playa conditions are totally random and make it a much bigger challenge to set it up. Also, the velcro walls are pretty tough to get totally taut without practice.

6. I think more ratchet straps are probably needed if there aren't windblocks around your carport... they make excellent sails, as evidenced by the two I saw go for a spin during the mini storm monday afterburn.

I loved my carport. Can't wait to do it again! I need new bungee balls, though... they really seem to fall apart from the dust.
Ano

Camp Name: ???

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:22 pm

Save the balls and go to a craft store!!!

They have bungee in a variety of sizes on rolls.

It's cheap and you can get quality cord that is UV resistant. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby mudpuppy000 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:44 am

Ano wrote:Wow. Carport camping is absolute luxury! I had such a damn great time with mine. I had a tent underneath and a 10x20 tarp as the ground. I stapled each foot into the ground with a 4ft 3/8th" Rebar that was candy-caned. I had two support ratchet straps coming off of each end, and it held fine through the Monday storms. I had all the walls on and windows down as well. A few things I learned -

1. Bring hanging shelves to put essentials in. The damn place is so big that I kept misplacing things all over the place, which leads to...

2. be prepared to be a bit more organized and thoughtful about where you put things. It's so big that I just kind of made a mess in there.

3. A ground tarp is ESSENTIAL! Also, bring a broom. I forgot one and by the end of the week it was dust city everywhere. I feel like it would have been much more comfortable with a broom.

4. IT GETS HOT! I camped in a place where I couldn't really open the windows (long story) but I wish I could have. I got cooked out every morning. Swamp cooler next year most definitely! Or, maybe I'll cover it with aluminet...

5. Assemble it pre-playa! I'm so glad I practiced doing it. Playa conditions are totally random and make it a much bigger challenge to set it up. Also, the velcro walls are pretty tough to get totally taut without practice.

6. I think more ratchet straps are probably needed if there aren't windblocks around your carport... they make excellent sails, as evidenced by the two I saw go for a spin during the mini storm monday afterburn.

I loved my carport. Can't wait to do it again! I need new bungee balls, though... they really seem to fall apart from the dust.

I lucked out in being able to place my door downwind and facing north (away from the sun), so I just left my windows and door open all week. That helped a lot with keeping it cool. A few other things you can do to keep it cooler is to add a silver tarp under the "costco" tarp. That increases the shade a lot. (I use a 11x20, but I think a 12x20 might fit even better) You can also un-bungee the side tarps at the peak of the roof to add an air vent to let hot air out. This can let a lot of dust in though, if it's a normal year.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby MacGlenver » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:04 am

I will second figgys recommendation of the 14" lag screws (3/8" diameter). I used them this year (from his advice) for guying out monkey huts and screwing my tent to the ground. These things are SOLID. I bought an impact driver to screw them in and you can hear/feel it working hard to drive them in once you get about 8" into the ground. Far better than even 1/2" rebar, as these will take a lot more force to bend than rebar will. Only downside is that you have to have a generator to screw and unscrew, but omg it save so much work! Another plus is that you can screw them flush to the ground, so there is no need to cap the ends to prevent injuries.
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby tatonka » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:10 am

MacGlenver wrote:I will second figgys recommendation of the 14" lag screws (3/8" diameter). I used them this year (from his advice) for guying out monkey huts and screwing my tent to the ground. These things are SOLID. I bought an impact driver to screw them in and you can hear/feel it working hard to drive them in once you get about 8" into the ground. Far better than even 1/2" rebar, as these will take a lot more force to bend than rebar will. Only downside is that you have to have a generator to screw and unscrew, but omg it save so much work! Another plus is that you can screw them flush to the ground, so there is no need to cap the ends to prevent injuries.

i bought the same lag screws , brought a inverter and a drill , but brought wrong socket :( So I hammered them in and used a vise grips to get them out. I would have to screw them out at least 5" then I could pull them the rest of the way with arm muscle.
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby Ratty » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:17 am

My camp mate brought a tiny 10 or 12 inch pipe wrench. It twisted the rebar out like a knife through butter. Worked GREAT.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby Elliot » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:55 am

I'm still unloading and my barn is not big enough! Does anybody know if Costco still has any carports in the Sacramento-Woodland or Santa Rosa areas?
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:22 am

tatonka wrote:

i bought the same lag screws , brought a inverter and a drill , but brought wrong socket :( So I hammered them in and used a vise grips to get them out. I would have to screw them out at least 5" then I could pull them the rest of the way with arm muscle.

Next year - just come by and say so goddammit! I would have had any socket you needed.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:25 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There ARE tool's on the playa, realy there are!

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby tatonka » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:36 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
tatonka wrote:

Next year - just come by and say so goddammit! I would have had any socket you needed.

:) was going to ask ya , but forgot at the M&G , forgot alot and brung to much of some others . Hopefully will balance out next year :) thks
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby unjonharley » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:32 pm

FIGJAM wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

There ARE tool's on the playa, realy there are!

Yup!
unjonharley

Postby mudpuppy000 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:57 am

MacGlenver wrote:I bought an impact driver to screw them in and you can hear/feel it working hard to drive them in once you get about 8" into the ground. Far better than even 1/2" rebar, as these will take a lot more force to bend than rebar will. Only downside is that you have to have a generator to screw and unscrew, but omg it save so much work!

Lol, I guess it makes sense if you're putting a lot of them in the ground, but $1k+ for a generator/driver is kind of pricey compared to a $10 sledgehammer. :D
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby unjonharley » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:22 am

Unless your putting up a circus you do not need a generator..

A small inverter off your car and a extension cord will work fine with a hammer drill..

Things you may need to drive and retract 14 inch lag screws..

1/2 inch (cheap HF) hammer drill..

Extension cord long enough to reach across you camp area..

12 volt to 120 volt inverter.. ( see wattage on drill)

Drill to socket drive extension bit.. (cheap @ HF)

Socket to fit desired lag screw head..
unjonharley

Postby BigInSeattle » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:38 pm

Resurrecting this post. I was in Costco today (Issaquah, WA - East of Seattle) and they had 5 Carports in stock. Maybe other Costco locations are starting to get them in stock?
BigInSeattle

Burning Since: 2014

PreviousNext

Return to Shelter & Camping