Thinking of renting a camper...

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Thinking of renting a camper...

Postby enchantedangel » Thu May 10, 2012 12:31 am

Hello Lovlies; hope you're well and having a great week thus far!

Just wanted to reach out as we are first timers and want to rent a camper instead of the hassle of tents and expenses we could really do without this year. I'm checking out Classic Adventures and want to know what folks are saying about this option--I mean to rent the camper and to go with this particular vendor. Please give us a yell and let us know what you know!

We are grateful and appreciative for your help....

Yours in Love and in Light,

Angel~
We are spiritual beings living human experiences. Susan St. James
enchantedangel

Re: Thinking of renting a camper...

Postby BBadger » Thu May 10, 2012 1:27 am

Uh, are they even still available for that week? People reserve RVs a year in advance because the slots fill up quickly. You may not have time to think about renting a camper.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Jackass » Thu May 10, 2012 8:38 am

You plan on saving money by renting an RV...Huh, did I miss something here??
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token
Jackass

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu May 10, 2012 9:24 am

Well, there's the $2000 tent, the "tent spa" detailing for $250, the go-cart/refridgerator, the hiring and ticketing of the cabana boy... These things add up.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby dragonpilot » Thu May 10, 2012 11:46 am

What the others said...if you haven't already got one reserved, it may be too late for this year.

I have always camped in an RV (7 years), but set up my own personal tent for gear storage, sleeping, privacy. The RV is an instant kitchen/shelter/personal hygiene structure.

Feel free to PM me for some RV camping hints...glad to share.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby enchantedangel » Fri May 11, 2012 12:50 am

Thanks Dragon..I appreciate your help! I know it's late for an RV rental but we have to at least try.
Newbies! I don't mind doing the footwork to find one...

We had a friend of a friend that has one but it seems it fell through and isn't even running. Bummer...and late to boot!
So just reaching out to get good tips. I'll let you know how it goes and give you a ping if we need to try your advised option!

Angel~
enchantedangel

Postby Savannah » Fri May 11, 2012 10:29 am

Sometimes when people exhaust their RV options in the most obvious towns (San Francisco, Las Vegas and Reno) they start looking further (Sacramento, etc). There is also box truck camping, which is underrated. Bedroom on wheels; good for two people. They should be cleaned just like an RV, in order not to screw future Burners, but they are simpler to clean.

viewtopic.php?t=35289
viewtopic.php?t=38772

For more, Google box truck camping eplaya, and consider adding the term junglesmacks.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby enchantedangel » Fri May 11, 2012 10:58 am

Thanks again Savanna! Wow...really helpful and something that I hadn't thought of! I start checking further out as well as some of the more obvious choice rentals.

Love,
Keena~
enchantedangel

Postby enchantedangel » Thu May 24, 2012 2:41 pm

Curious...is it easy to get the deposit back? What is the likelyhood of having a deposit returned after a burn?
enchantedangel

Postby Savannah » Thu May 24, 2012 3:11 pm

Figure that you might NOT get it back, and make everyone who uses it chip in. Then keep the doors to the cab closed, don't aim the big door South/Southwest, and just do your best. :) (Take it to a truck wash; Google one in the city you return your truck in. And sweep/swiffer out the back, clean DRY so as not to make a muddy playa scum on every surface; see the threads about cleaning and dust-proofing.) The Budget Truck Rental on Gentry Way in Reno is Burner-friendly--so lets keep 'em that way--and (I believe) has given Junglesmacks his deposit back after doing a decent job. But no one can tell you for sure.

If I were super-comfortable driving something large, I would easily go for a box truck and skip an RV (unless I owned one already, or a good friend did . . . because you can take your time cleaning it when it's yours). Then again . . . I'm really comfortable with a solar shower, evap pond, pee bottle and funnel. Out on the playa I'm not the delicate (noisy) flower I am in the default world.

Note: RVs do have the edge where it comes to beds. In a box truck, you will need a cot or air mattress, and layers of blankets. Air mattresses in particular conduct cold like nobody's business.

Savannah

Postby CornMan » Thu May 24, 2012 5:26 pm

Sacramento is closer to BRC than San Francisco.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby danibel » Thu May 24, 2012 5:41 pm

In case you can't find an RV or box truck (it's getting late in the season), you might try checking into a cargo van. They are perfect for two people. I throw a futon in the back and everything else on top of it. It's not quite enough room to stand up in, but it is nicer than a tent. Somewhat of a bitch to clean. Amour All leather wipes seem to remove that last bit of playa dust from the black plastic and console.

There are already some threads posted about cleaning, I think some might even address the cargo van wipe down. Be sure to have a plan to cover company logo's. Blue painters tape seems popular.

Good luck.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Savannah » Fri May 25, 2012 11:44 am

Agreed, 2-seater cargo vans are great. I would find it confining to sleep in one unless I were alone (actually, even if I were, I'd probably still bring a tent) but they can transport 2 people, & a generous amount of gear--including a monkey hut shade structure, and two bikes quite easily (bungee'd to the wall). If I remember correctly, my campmate very carefully washed out the back with a pressure washer (the portions without fabric or carpet) not just the outside . . . & got the full deposit back.

Savannah

Postby enchantedangel » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:28 pm

We so appreciate the Playa love! :) Thanks Savannah , Zeke and Danibel! We'll be checking out the options you suggested.
We almost got lucky as Classic Adventures had a cancellation....unfortunately it was for a super duper deluxe model at $10K...lol!
We're hot on the trail of another site now: http://cheaprvrentalcalifornia.com/ . Hopefully they yield some relief from the search;
and if not....on to all of your helpful tips.

Sending Big Hugs and Big Thanks,

Angel~
enchantedangel

Postby mamasharon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:16 pm

Don't know where you live, but here where I live in Oregon, motor homes are dirt cheap right now. I would say that in some instances you could buy one for what you could rent one for at this point. Check Craig's List or its equal in your area. You may be surprised at how cheap they are since the economy started to collapse and gas prices have gone up. If you do end up renting, keep in mind there will be dust everywhere, inside and out . Keep some vinegar with you. Not only will it help with foot rot on the Playa, but it really helps to add it to the cleaning water. It helps the dust come off easier. Good luck. :D
mamasharon

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:58 pm

Savannah wrote:Note: RVs do have the edge where it comes to beds. In a box truck, you will need a cot or air mattress, and layers of blankets. Air mattresses in particular conduct cold like nobody's business.

Huh? Like hell they do. It's a box truck! Just bring a real, home-type bed! And a dresser! Set up a real bedroom. Who said only air mattresses or cots are allowed?
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby SnowBlind » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:40 am

If you are renting one from further away, make sure you factor in the mileage charges. I've seen rentals where they include only a fairly low amount of miles, and after that you pay per mile. That could kill the deal if you rent it further away. Of course, YMMV ;)
SnowBlind

Return to Shelter & Camping