Costco Barn/Carports Set Up

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Costco Barn/Carports Set Up

Postby RaRa » Mon May 07, 2012 11:56 am

Hello!
This year I'm going to the playa for my second time and I'm looking for detailed advice and information on how to most safely and securly tie down my shelter. I'm purchasing the 10x20 costco bar to cover my van. Last year I made my own modified monkey hut, it worked ok, but during the one windstorm I nearly lost it. Thank god it wasn't that windy!

This year I want to be amply preparred, so I have specific questions on this I need to get answered:

1. Cover options - how well does the costco cover that's provided work? Does it provide a lot of shade? Does it stay on well in extreme winds? I have a very large (20x35) reflective tarp I'm considering using in addition (over the top) of the provided one to get more shade, will this be necessary?

2. How to secure the frame. From what I've found online it sounds like I should use Rebar, at least 1 foot long, put it at an angle to each of the 8 legs. Suggestions on attaching the rebar to the legs? I've heard ducktape, but ug, what a pain to take down! Was thinking about using rachetting tie down straps (like for trucks and stuff) as they'd be easy to put on and tighten up. I would of course need to candy cane the rebar, yes? Any other suggestions on this.

3. Do i need to use guidewire to stake down any other areas of the frame, or the legs at the base will be enough? Last year I had an issue with wind blowing through my structure and lifting the entire thing up...

4. Do I need to tie down the actual tarp? If so, does the built in one have rivets or any way to attach guide wires?

Overall, I'm just looking for step by step best practices on what to do to make sure this thing stays put all week! If you have pictures or examples, even better!

RaRa
RaRa

Re: Costco Barn/Carports Set Up

Postby AntiM » Mon May 07, 2012 12:11 pm

The tarp has grommets to hold it to the frame using ball bungees.

We use adjustable/spliced rope for tiedowns, but ratchet straps work too. Our ropes are looped over the joints before the tarp goes on. We talk about a second tarp, it would go between the poles and the cover. Putting a tarp over the cover is a pain, our camp mates tried it on theirs one year, taped it down... when it let loose, they couldn't get up to reattached it.

playaguy.jpg

A look at half (well, a third) of our shade. We "clamshell" two facing each other, with camo netting in between. We use the dingle at our regional burn. This is with the walls off. As you can see, the roof becomes the back wall. We run the ropes straight down the legs in back, and criss-cross them in the front.

039 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Read Me!! Ticket Sellers and Seekers!

Really, read the damn sticky posts.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby SnowBlind » Mon May 07, 2012 2:47 pm

RaRa wrote: From what I've found online it sounds like I should use Rebar, at least 1 foot long, put it at an angle to each of the 8 legs. Suggestions on attaching the rebar to the legs? I've heard ducktape, but ug, what a pain to take down! Was thinking about using rachetting tie down straps (like for trucks and stuff) as they'd be easy to put on and tighten up. I would of course need to candy cane the rebar, yes? Any other suggestions on this.

1 foot rebar is not going to do anything. If you stick it half way in the ground, you'd only have 6 inches in the ground. That won't hold the carport. Other than a smallish dome tent, 1 foot isn't good for much. We use 2 and 3 foot for the carport. 3 is nice for the legs, you can pound it in 18-24 inches, and still have enough to work with to tape it.

The duck tape is easy to take down. You use a knife and cut thru the gap between rebar and pole. Then you just unwrap all the layers together in a single turn. Very easy. Does leave some residue though. I heard someone put saran wrap around the leg first, but we don't bother.

In addition to 8 rebars on the the 8 legs, we also use a couple of ratchet straps in the cross configuration like in AntiM's picture. Mainly to stabilize the structure in the wind. Some people don't bother and just do the legs.
SnowBlind

Postby AntiM » Tue May 08, 2012 5:23 am

A lot depends on the individual carport, some are sturdier than others.

Our rebar is custom welded into T stakes, with pointed ends. Look like we're ready to kill vampires. I've never measured them, but I'd guess a couple feet long. MyLarry hated pounding on the candy cane shape. Our configuration wouldn't work with duct tape.
Read Me!! Ticket Sellers and Seekers!

Really, read the damn sticky posts.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Drawingablank » Tue May 08, 2012 7:30 am

If using duct tape, wrapping the connection with pallet wrap first will make removal a snap.

An added bonus is that it is a great way to bundle the poles and rebar for easier handling, transit, and storage. The bundles won't rattle when transporting them and it leaves no residue.

In case you aren't familiar with it, pallet wrap is a super heavy duty plastic cling wrap type of product designed to keep boxes stacked on pallets from shifting. Although available in large widths for wrapping pallets, they also make a 4 inch one with a single handle type dispenser that is available in the moving section of the depot, uline, or anyplace that sells shipping materials.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Drlbpgtjdomt » Tue May 08, 2012 11:03 pm

AntiM wrote:The tarp has grommets to hold it to the frame using ball bungees.

We use adjustable/spliced rope for tiedowns, but ratchet straps work too. Our ropes are looped over the joints before the tarp goes on. We talk about a second tarp, it would go between the poles and the cover. Putting a tarp over the cover is a pain, our camp mates tried it on theirs one year, taped it down... when it let loose, they couldn't get up to reattached it.

playaguy.jpg

A look at half (well, a third) of our shade. We "clamshell" two facing each other, with camo netting in between. We use the dingle at our regional burn. This is with the walls off. As you can see, the roof becomes the back wall. We run the ropes straight down the legs in back, and criss-cross them in the front.

039 - Copy.JPG

Nice camp!!!
And I think that will be very nice to live in...
If you would be loved, love and be lovable.
Drlbpgtjdomt

Postby CornMan » Tue May 08, 2012 11:51 pm

I put a 10x20 silver tarp between the frame and the cover. I held it in place with bungee balls. It worked great.

The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Homiesinheaven » Wed May 09, 2012 10:54 am

#1. yes, it provides a lot of shade and does well in high winds. additional covering is not necessary unless you plan on hanging out in your van during the day which sounds hot to me no matter what you cover it with.

#2. and #3. yes, guylines on each leg tied from the top of the frame down to rebar. the idea is that the best way to hold down a structure is from the top down. if the wind gets really crazy just throw a long rope over the top from one end to the other and tie it to the rebar. if your 2 foot candy cane rebar is hammered in good your carport aint going nowhere. beware of duct tape! i've seen a few pictures of only rebar with duct tape remaining after a structure was blown away in high winds. again, from the top down is the strongest method.

#4. no need to strap down the tarp to guylines. the frame is what you need to worry about, the bungees are enough to hold it to the frame.

Extra tip: Pep Boys sells 12X26 ShelterLogic carports (2 inch poles) for around $250 if you need extra space. :wink:
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby RaRa » Wed May 09, 2012 11:26 am

Thanks Homiesinheaven - great advise. Everyone has been so helpful, it's awesome!

I actually do sometimes sleep in the van during the day, well at least last year, but from what I understand it wasn't that hot, so I haven't really experiecened how miserable that could be. Having the van under shade the whole time, with a reflective tarp, really helped! Also, I built my own swamp cooler last year and that was a gigantic help!

Always happy to hear more advice from folks.

next up, finding friends or a camp to join, I'm pretty sure putting this thing up alone is outside my ability. Not that I can't be self reliant, but at 5'1 I'm just too darn short!

Also hoping to have a Breakfast in Bed offering at my camp. Back of my van turns in to a bed, so you can lounge in bed, with airconditioner while I serve you the Ihop shot, which pretty much tastes like you just ate pancakes, bacon and OJ!
RaRa

Postby Homiesinheaven » Wed May 09, 2012 12:28 pm

i'll happily take you up on that Ihop shot! :D let me know if you have any other questions.
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Return to Shelter & Camping