If last year was your first year, take heed!

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: If last year was your first year, take heed!

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed May 09, 2012 11:02 am

[quote="FIGJAM"]I think I read somewhere here that the majority of injuries at Burning Man are from guylines and rebar!!!

Actually falling on them after a serious bout with a wily bottle of absinthe.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Mojojita » Wed May 09, 2012 11:21 am

*sheepishly raises hand*

Yes, I am a member of that statistic, absinthe and all. But...having unmarked guy lines running toward and staked at the edge of the street is kind of like setting up an absinthe detector.....
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby FIGJAM » Wed May 09, 2012 12:47 pm

That's why I don't have guylines or rebar. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby wh..sh » Wed May 09, 2012 12:49 pm

What do you say? If last year was your first year, take weed?
I totally read that as weed
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Wed May 09, 2012 6:52 pm

wh..sh wrote:What do you say? If last year was your first year, take weed?
I totally read that as weed

I think it was if last cheer was your first cheer, take weed (and cheers to that).
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby Elorrum » Wed May 09, 2012 10:06 pm

guy lines would be the things they say to get someone to give them heed.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby tamarakay » Thu May 10, 2012 4:45 am

So guys still need lines to get head? Good to know, I've been married so long these things could have changed.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby illy dilly » Thu May 10, 2012 10:22 am

Savannah wrote:
Eric wrote:
illy dilly wrote:There were short mild dust storms in 2010, but nothing to write home about.

You must have been on the 9:00 side of BRC- we were at Esplanade & 3:30 (or 4, I forget) in 2010 & we got hit with an endless duststorm Burn Night (the Playa Boyfriend & I just huddled under my kaffiyeh, finding way to occupy our time..) and Sunday went on for at least 8 hours. We had to stop breaking down camp.

This was the end of the week in 2010 for us:

At least that on wasn't a white out. We could still go wandering in it.

I remember that one. There was a Friday night dust storm in 2010, and Burn Night as well. It hit the 9:00 o clock side just fine. :D I remember it because I was tempted to go out that Friday night, but I could see from the distance of 8:30 and E that the Esplanade was a wall of horizontal dust (it was less in the suburbs) and I had a 7:30 shift in the morning and--not knowing how long it might last--I decided to just get a good sleep by 10pm. Saturday night, there was a storm that descended right as the Man burned, and the drifting fireworks looked like the Man was a sorcerer casting spells. People scattered pretty quick after he fell. Visibility was only a few feet. It was pretty exciting. I remember facing the direction of my camp, and just walking as evenly as possible so my path wouldn't arc. :lol: Once off the Esplanade, the storm seemed to ebb, and I went "indoors", so I don't know how long it lasted.

We were actually at 3:30 and F(ish) that year, in fact we were in BDC that year. But to me even those dust storms both nights, were not that bad. At least they weren't as bad as the stories you hear of "Endless white out, can't see 5 feet in front of you" The Saturday night dust, wasn't even so bad that you continually needed goggles. Didn't the Man even burn on time? Who knows, we spent the rest of the night after the man burned over on the 2 O'clock big sound camps. Maybe the direction of the wind made it worse across the rest of the city.

It is also possible, that those were fabled "Dust storms of destruction" that yo hear about, and in my mind I imagine them much worse than they really are.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Savannah » Thu May 10, 2012 12:17 pm

The storm on Burn Night 2010 was a "can't see" storm (you could see maybe 6-8 feet) but it was short, so the only truly amazing (sustained) dust storms for me were at least one 4 hour storm in 2000, and the two 8-hour storms in 2008. (I missed 2004-2007). There may have been something good in 2001 and 2003 but I'd have to check my journals. :D I have a killer memory of some awesome naked fool riding a bike with blazing fireworks attached to it--riding in circles while the bike fired shrieking projectiles--at the edge of the Esplanade during a whiteout in probably . . . 2001? Could barely see him, but the fireworks looked great.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby illy dilly » Thu May 10, 2012 12:29 pm

OK, then I think we're on the same page for Saturday night. For us at least, there were short bursts of gusts of low visibility conditions, maybe 3-5 minutes max, but nothing that slowed you down really.
I don't remember a dust storm on Friday 2010 at all. It is very likely that I was back at camp eating dinner, or in our neighborhood hanging out, or possibly passed out, who knows.

Savannah wrote:the two 8-hour storms in 2008. .... There may have been something good in 2001 and 2003 but I'd have to check my journals. :D I have a killer memory of some awesome naked fool riding a bike with blazing fireworks attached to it--riding in circles while the bike fired shrieking projectiles--at the edge of the Esplanade during a whiteout....

This ^^^ is exactly the sort of Hell on Earth Dust Storm I'm looking forward to this year. Until I've experienced a massive camp destroying dust storm like this, I'm still considering my self a newbie to Burning Man. At this point, I might be an experienced Newbie, but still a newbie.
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby hotmess » Thu May 10, 2012 12:45 pm

The only good that will come out of a MASSIVE dust storm that last hours and hours and HOURS would be a possible drop in attendance the following year. While I have had some crazy times in those storms I am not wishing for one.
hotmess

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Kamp Krusty

Postby Savannah » Thu May 10, 2012 12:51 pm

Indeed. 2009 had (approximately) only 40K people, because 2008's storms were quite a challenge.

I have stopped just short of wishing for a bad storm because I don't want anyone to get hurt, and I'm careful what I wish for (despite having no faith in the power of mere wishing). It's not just a virgin or a careless person who is imperiled by a storm, it's the person camped next to their poorly staked dome.

Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu May 10, 2012 12:53 pm

Savannah wrote:poorly staked dome

Band name?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby hotmess » Thu May 10, 2012 1:03 pm

OMG, best new band of 2012!
hotmess

Camp Name: Kamp Krusty

Postby illy dilly » Thu May 10, 2012 1:12 pm

Savannah wrote: It's not just a virgin or a careless person who is imperiled by a storm, it's the person camped next to their poorly staked dome.

This is very true.
Though, for my own personal "Hell yeah! Been there-Seen That" I'd like to experience at least massive dust storm.

And if this year's weather is totally absolutely terrible, you can blame it all on me!
illy dilly

Postby Savannah » Thu May 10, 2012 1:31 pm

illy dilly wrote:
Savannah wrote: It's not just a virgin or a careless person who is imperiled by a storm, it's the person camped next to their poorly staked dome.

This is very true.
Though, for my own personal "Hell yeah! Been there-Seen That" I'd like to experience at least massive dust storm.

And if this year's weather is totally absolutely terrible, you can blame it all on me!

I will not forget your kind offer, brave Sir Dilly.

Savannah

Postby AntiM » Fri May 11, 2012 5:20 pm

Savannah wrote:Indeed. 2009 had (approximately) only 40K people, because 2008's storms were quite a challenge.

I have stopped just short of wishing for a bad storm because I don't want anyone to get hurt, and I'm careful what I wish for (despite having no faith in the power of mere wishing). It's not just a virgin or a careless person who is imperiled by a storm, it's the person camped next to their poorly staked dome.

Somewhere on eplaya is a picture of an SUV with part of the neighbor's shade structure stuck through the windshield. Been a few years since I saw it, so the details are fuzzy on who and when.

And never try to pull your rebar out with your vehicle and a rope. There's a picture of that posted somewhere on here too. Right through the back window.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby TinkerMom » Fri May 11, 2012 10:02 pm

tamarakay wrote:So guys still need lines to get head? Good to know, I've been married so long these things could have changed.

Exactly! Nothing has changed TK!!

They still have lines.

And, they are still bad.

And, someone will still give them head.
....the password is pineapple.........

Just throw it on the fire! It will kill it or cure it!!
TinkerMom

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity BDC

Postby Eric » Fri May 11, 2012 11:47 pm

TinkerMom wrote:
tamarakay wrote:So guys still need lines to get head? Good to know, I've been married so long these things could have changed.

Exactly! Nothing has changed TK!!

Is this where I throw in the obligatory "thank god I'm gay" comment?
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby DoctorIknow » Sat May 12, 2012 11:00 am

Damn, how do so many of you remember what years or what storms?

Even 10 years of BM is just 70-100days (ok, even more for quite a few), and the days are all either/or: sunny, dusty, whiteout, cold, warm, rain, hot.

Almost the same mindset as "it was better 19xx or 2xxx" except in terms of sunny, dusty, whiteout, cold, warm, rain, hot.

But yes, newbies..the elements could be very uncomfortable and dangerous, so be prepared.
DoctorIknow

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat May 12, 2012 11:04 am

The 2007 Monday night end of event dust storm was terrific!!!! It was a perfect example of a time when one should just wait it out yet there were all these people basically driving by brail. I was having dinner with some camp mates in their RV which was at least 30 feet off the road. I was sitting near the window and I had to have a flashlight at hand to ward off the many vehicles that were veering off the road. :shock:

If you can't see to move safely....Don't

I'm hoping for at least one epic storm and maybe a bit of rain again. :P
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Eric » Sat May 12, 2012 11:35 am

DoctorIknow wrote:Damn, how do so many of you remember what years or what storms?

The human brain has a capacity for what are normally called "memories" - I use those.

Everyone stores them differently, for Burning Man I use where our camp was placed and can tie events to that or to something great (like having The Pier right in front of our camp last year). I also take photos (not a lot) and short bursts of video, those help tie the memories down as well for me.

Even 10 years of BM is just 70-100days (ok, even more for quite a few), and the days are all either/or: sunny, dusty, whiteout, cold, warm, rain, hot.

Personally, it would make me very sad if that's all that I remembered about the days out there.

Almost the same mindset as "it was better 19xx or 2xxx" except in terms of sunny, dusty, whiteout, cold, warm, rain, hot.

By that standard having any memory of anything you did before the thing you're doing at this exact moment is that mindset.

I'm not sure how the ability to recall what year an event happened & relay that to other people is automatically a comparison of which year was "better". I've never had a year that was "better" than any other- they pretty much average out to the same sort of fantastic that keeps me going. I've had shitty days and great days, but those happen every year.

You seem to have a lot of issues around memories, you might want to get that checked.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Bob » Sat May 12, 2012 11:38 am

1998, a few days after the event. Flooded for a week, mud and floating turds for weeks after.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Sail Man » Sat May 12, 2012 12:14 pm

dragonpilot wrote:
5280MeV wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote:One of our veteran campmates said to me, regarding the weather after last year's event, "Anybody who came to Burning Man for the first time this year has never been to Burning Man."

Maybe I should be more careful about what I wish for, but I have been secretly been daydreaming about getting blasted by a proper 4 hour dust storm.

How about 11+ hours...anyone remember Monday 2008?

Ahh yes, our first year. A lovely ride in, and then a interesting time setting up camp, while the wife gave me the evil eyes from within the truck while she and our son watched scooby doo on the dvd player LOL
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby DoctorIknow » Sat May 12, 2012 12:44 pm

Eric wrote:
You seem to have a lot of issues around memories, you might want to get that checked.

I see your point.
It would seem so from my rather poorly written post.

I, too, feel every year fantastic, shitty and great days all.
In fact I LOVE to remember weather related events, just as I remember my neighbors and countless other wonderful and taxing people/events/art.

I just don't put a year or photo link on them.

My comment about "it was better xxxx" being similar to noting dates of weather events was poorly expressed.

Let me try again: Because of Burning Man, in the default world I can better see judgment creeping into my mind, as in the playa/BM environment it really becomes apparent when it surfaces, and when it does (as it does every year) it is imperative to let it go as soon as it is possible or safe and move on to the present. I can also talk about the great dust storm of whatever year vs last year, but that is a comparison, which has judgment in it. When I think along lines of trying to stay away from judgment, I tend to not say facts "It was great weather in 2011) as some sort of judgment made me want to share that. (hmmm..why am I posting then???)

In line with the above way of being I'm trying to explain, I stopped taking pictures my second year, out of 12 (or is it 13?) because I know how one can keep the smallest details alive by taking a picture, a good thing, but, just that moment, taking time to make a memory, turns off the present as one is focused instead on something that is the past as soon as the shutter button is being pressed. Even thinking of taking the picture is not being in the moment. How to not think of taking a picture? Have no camera.

So few moments out there, every moment having the potential to not be catagorized, judged or photoed for the future reach into the past. I try my best to let go of any past thought, any future thought and absorb every morsel of this very special time out there.
DoctorIknow

Postby Eric » Sat May 12, 2012 2:50 pm

DoctorIknow- that makes more sense. I still disagree that comparing years is automatically judging one better (we're not shopping for cars here), but the way people remember things and react to those memories is always going to be different.

I like to remember the years thing happened, because that's tied to other memories of not only the event, but what was happening in my life in general, and that makes me happy.

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Dis)'(rack » Mon May 14, 2012 3:00 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Still, for my money, 2004 might have had the best weather, but it's all rather subjective at this point.

Man, I think you forgot about the one day in 04 where the wind was taking down camps left and right (I think Tues). My neighbors got blown the F up and ended spending the rest of the week under my camp's structure. We had tents go down, and a carport at our camp was ripping the tiedowns and rebar out of the ground; we had about ten people trying to hold it down and it still lifted our feet off the ground a few times. That was a scary day on the playa.
You pay your money...you take your chances
Dis)'(rack

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Blue Team Burners

Postby Savannah » Mon May 14, 2012 3:34 pm

DoctorIknow wrote:
Eric wrote:

I see your point.
It would seem so from my rather poorly written post.

I, too, feel every year fantastic, shitty and great days all.
In fact I LOVE to remember weather related events, just as I remember my neighbors and countless other wonderful and taxing people/events/art.

I just don't put a year or photo link on them.

My comment about "it was better xxxx" being similar to noting dates of weather events was poorly expressed.

Let me try again: Because of Burning Man, in the default world I can better see judgment creeping into my mind, as in the playa/BM environment it really becomes apparent when it surfaces, and when it does (as it does every year) it is imperative to let it go as soon as it is possible or safe and move on to the present. I can also talk about the great dust storm of whatever year vs last year, but that is a comparison, which has judgment in it. When I think along lines of trying to stay away from judgment, I tend to not say facts "It was great weather in 2011) as some sort of judgment made me want to share that. (hmmm..why am I posting then???)

In line with the above way of being I'm trying to explain, I stopped taking pictures my second year, out of 12 (or is it 13?) because I know how one can keep the smallest details alive by taking a picture, a good thing, but, just that moment, taking time to make a memory, turns off the present as one is focused instead on something that is the past as soon as the shutter button is being pressed. Even thinking of taking the picture is not being in the moment. How to not think of taking a picture? Have no camera.

So few moments out there, every moment having the potential to not be catagorized, judged or photoed for the future reach into the past. I try my best to let go of any past thought, any future thought and absorb every morsel of this very special time out there.

I'm glad you're happy with how you handle your Burn memories. Do it! I also understand and respect the difference between living a moment and locking it down on film. But not everyone's brain works like yours, or likes what you like.

Sometimes I remember when storms occurred because I remember who I was camped with or near, and what storm-defying hijinks we got up to during it. But I also take just a few minutes of each day, each burn, to scribble the names of events experienced/participated in, new friends' names, song titles learned, thoughts and feelings, a sentence or two to trigger the memory of some crazy thing that happened on shift . . . random notes here and there. Sentence fragments, and shorthand. When I get home, I write full stories about what I've seen, learned, discovered (generally not for distribution). I love to read back and see where I've been. And I simply love to write.

It's a good thing that I do, because my memory and attention span are atrocious. :D

Savannah

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Mon May 14, 2012 8:12 pm

I wish I had kept a journal when we were there. I think I took some photos on a disposable camera but never got it developed. My memories of that week are vague and scattered, and trying to recall it properly is like trying to recall a dream. There are some really vivid moments, some still images, some smells, but no sense of the sequence of things. There are lots of things my partner remembers that I have no memory of at all.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby MyPlayaUserName » Tue May 15, 2012 6:22 am

2008 was a banner year for dust storms. Really intense, and wasn't there even talk of canceling the burn? I cant remember now if it was 08 or 09 that the fire conclave didn't perform. Think 2008. I remember temple burn night being really windy, cold, and disorienting as well. The weather has gotten easier every year since 2012. Realistically, I'm not complaining, but I definitely had moments last year where I thought "this is just too easy" and "those people are just way too clean". Just a big costume party! I think even I slacked off on tying things down.

Has there been any talk of how the 2012 playa is looking? Has there been much rain out there this year?
MyPlayaUserName

Burning Since: 2007

PreviousNext

Return to Shelter & Camping