Any ladies ever try a she wee or similar device?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: Any ladies ever try a she wee or similar device?

Postby BBadger » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:21 am

Portapotties are gross, but the designers of them have done a very good job of neutralizing the smells (depending on how full they are of course). They're certainly a lot nicer than the outhouses near camping areas, and the seats are a lot nicer too.

As for the seat: every time I had to sit on the throne I would just put some toilet paper on the seat as a barrier between me and whatever might have dried on the surface. There's always enough distance to prevent splash as well.

Back in 2010 I held my shit the first day or so because I really didn't want to go in those portapotties, but eventually I really had to go. After I let free with the full force of my bowels I became a big fan of the "when you gotta go, just sit and bear it." Maybe eventually the disgust will wear off.

Oh and thank you for not hovering. Hoverers are enemies of the playa.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby moonrise » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:33 am

I know a lady who showed me how her pee device could be used to vomit! Apparently It was a dual purpose model.

I think it could've been used to make a very scary alien mask. :twisted: (the pee device was frightful looking, everthang else was purdy as a flower)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:54 am

FWIW.. I've always found the portos at TTITD to be the cleanest, best smelling, best kept that I've ever encountered. They're borderline not even a big deal to use in the least.

I've always found the fear of touching butt cheek to public toilet seat kind of funny. Of all the places that germs collect, believe it or not that's one of the cleanest. Think about it. Now.. that door handle that you push on the way out.. that's the sucker that germaphobe dreams are made out of..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby danibel » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:17 pm

I have not used one of these devices, however I want one! This will be my first year of pee jug in the van. My BF wondered why I didn't have one last year, I just recently realized how nice it would be to not have to jump out of the van at 6am to run to a porto for a pee.

After my first burn, I remember distinctly my first pee in the restroom at work. I closed the door to the stall and turned to the paper guard dispenser and started laughing. It seemed ridiculous to use a piece of paper for the seat after using all the portos at the burn. Even now I only use the paper guards if the bathroom is really funky or in SF. :lol:
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Savannah » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:30 pm

danibel wrote:I have not used one of these devices, however I want one! This will be my first year of pee jug in the van. My BF wondered why I didn't have one last year, I just recently realized how nice it would be to not have to jump out of the van at 6am to run to a porto for a pee.

After my first burn, I remember distinctly my first pee in the restroom at work. I closed the door to the stall and turned to the paper guard dispenser and started laughing. It seemed ridiculous to use a piece of paper for the seat after using all the portos at the burn. Even now I only use the paper guards if the bathroom is really funky or in SF. :lol:

I'm the same way. I'm a bit of a germaphobe, truthfully, but Burning Man helps me keep it in perspective. It's good for me, like desensitization therapy. :lol:
*** 2015 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:44 am

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby 7chix&me » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:36 pm

AntiM wrote:Lots of the gals do, successfully. Personally, I wonder about rinsing them because carrying around something I peed through? Um? There's a thread on it somewhere on eplaya.

And thanks for not hovering. Actually, the portos are not that bad at all. I sit.

tamarakay wrote:Oh, and as far as wiping it out, I use c.f.m.'s baggie trick. I have a baggie of babywipes, and a baggie to keep the dirties in. Just clean myself up (if needed) and wipe out the funnel, toss into the dirties baggie and I can trash when back in camp. Keeps everything nice and fresh. :wink:

Just use a bottle of water (the same one you drink out of!) I've used this technique for years in public restrooms with another device that might come in handy at BM for those gals lucky enough to have their period that week. Google "menstrual cup". (sorry if I offend anyone or if slightly OT, but I thought it might be helpful and I haven't seen a thread on the topic yet!)

Boijoy wrote:these even come with its own solidifyer.

I've used these on long car trips before. They work great.

I got a GOGIRL for BM, but now that I've read this thread, I will be sure to practice with it and buy a different one if it doesn't work for me. Thanks everyone for all the good info!!
7chix&me

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:11 pm

I use the Pee-Funnel offered by Pee-Funnel Camp and it's the bomb. Here's why: it's BURNINGMAN. It is Zoe's gift to us. Use a screw top gallon jug and it's your midnight peeing-event friend.
Besides, your germies aren't going to survive the environment. Don't put your fingers in your mouth!

I do like the biffy bag idea though. Girls, if your bleeding during the Event, THIS IS YOUR EXPERIENCE. Make it a good one. I've had my period several times in my 13 years and yes, it's a gawdamn hobby, but that's ok. Your experience has changed, and your costume might not be the best idea for those days, dress accordingly. But stand proud. You can do this, it's YOUR opportunity to see how strong of a person you are. The Playa is like that.

re Pooping vs hovering: AntiM has it right on, if you flip the seat up (with your foot if nec) then I don't give a SHIT what you do. I'll just wipe the seat with TP and park my butt. This was my rant last year and it had AMAZING results. Spread the word.

Anyone's who's been at any concert or other porta-potty public facility knows, our Temples of Smell are some of the cleanest. Even the jots guys compliment me regularly about how nice they are. I'm serious. Our efforts are truly making the portos a pleasant experience every time. If there's a bad one, move onto the next one. It's the FEAR that is impacting our collective immediate experience. GET OVER IT. Be responsible, care about the next person after you, and everyone will be happy.

What really throws my hat in the creek is the rave camp banks that in the morning look like they've been sprayed with every conceivable bodily fluid imaginable like a gods damn FIRE HOSE (thanks Savanna for that image/sign). CRIPES! If I can solicit the help of those camp managers JUST A LITTLE it would be a better place for so many.

I have just one more thing to add. Gonzo and my volunteers do our DAMNDEST to keep the units stocked with TP. I cannot guarantee supply, just move onto the next unit. And please, if you live in LOS of a bank we can use your help to stock the units at night when at least HALF of the poopulation comes out. There's nothing worse than doing a 2 in a paperless loo.

I think about excretory etiquette entirely more than is healthy.
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
14 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
FB Group: Burning Man Porta-potties
Changing the world one asshole at a time!
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Postby Sham » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:36 pm

I don't profess to be an expert on female crotchal funnels, but this one sold in that giant, evil big box store (for less than a dollar) appears to be the perfect contour for relieving ones self in a porta potty. It's in the automotive department, so it can also be used for putting oil in your car AND guzzling beer. (wash between uses)

Sham

Postby lemur » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:47 pm

its probably better if you just hold it in............ its only 8 days..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:54 pm

I just put in a catheter.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Sham » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:58 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I just put in a catheter.

Depends?
Sham

Postby lemur » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:05 pm

i bet youll be able to find someone out there who wants to care for an adults diaper rash, too.

win win!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby mshaman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:36 pm

Seems like all the folks on my block are mysteriously stopping by my RV when they want to pee... perhaps I need to get some appropriately shaped funnels and silk-screen the man on them. Finally, some useful schwag!
The road of life is littered with flat squirrels who couldn't decide.
mshaman

Postby BBadger » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:02 am

junglesmacks wrote:FWIW.. I've always found the portos at TTITD to be the cleanest, best smelling, best kept that I've ever encountered. They're borderline not even a big deal to use in the least.

Hell, even those mid-playa outhouses during the major burns smell better than those campground outhouses.

I've always found the fear of touching butt cheek to public toilet seat kind of funny. Of all the places that germs collect, believe it or not that's one of the cleanest. Think about it. Now.. that door handle that you push on the way out.. that's the sucker that germaphobe dreams are made out of..

Yeah, when you think about it, none of our orifices are particularly free of germs. Two of them expel bodily waste, and the others deal with all kinds of germs and crap too.

I figure that as long as the seat is dry and doesn't look like somebody took a dump on the seat, it's just fine. Hell, I've even accidentally sat on the rim to take a dump, rather than the actual seat. Oops.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby delle » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:21 am

7chix&me wrote:
Just use a bottle of water (the same one you drink out of!) I've used this technique for years in public restrooms with another device that might come in handy at BM for those gals lucky enough to have their period that week. Google "menstrual cup". (sorry if I offend anyone or if slightly OT, but I thought it might be helpful and I haven't seen a thread on the topic yet!)

Because I don't think it's all that off topic... being yet another one of those devices that can change a girl's experience:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5610
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9434

Again tho, not something you try for the first time on-playa, so now's the time to discover it!!!!
Worry is a misuse of imagination
delle

Postby delle » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:25 am

Shambala wrote:

:lol: :lol:
My husband gleefully gifted me one of these last week when he got a 3-pack from the automotive parts store. And yep. It works.
Worry is a misuse of imagination
delle

Postby Savannah » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:03 am

delle wrote:
Shambala wrote:

:lol: :lol:
My husband gleefully gifted me one of these last week when he got a 3-pack from the automotive parts store. And yep. It works.

Oh my god, Delle! And Shambala! :lol: CLEVER. And those things appear to be $3 or less! On average . . .

Okay, that's it--I'm going to add an automotive funnel to my next order from a certain large online retailer (it's occasionally a challenge to get an order to go over $25 for Free Shipping, when you just need one thing, or two smaller things). No--better yet, I'll go poke around in an auto parts store so I can see the design up close.

("Ma'am, can I help you?" . . . )

The elongated mouth of that automotive funnel is a helpful feature, also the stem is not too short or malleable (the Go Girl, in my opinion, suffers from both problems) . . . and you cannot beat the price. I see several automotive funnel brands with a design that might work . . . FloTool, RhinoGear.

(I looked at the price of the Freshette this morning and it's $27. What the hell? I bought mine for ~$10 less, & it's still technically overpriced. Although at least the Freshette can be disassembled, and is therefore as portable as one needs it to be.)

The automotive funnel can be left in the tent, and the Freshette can be the Funnel of Wandering.

Savannah

Postby Sham » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:43 pm

Shambala wrote:I don't profess to be an expert on female crotchal funnels, but this one sold in that giant, evil big box store (for less than a dollar) appears to be the perfect contour for relieving ones self in a porta potty. It's in the automotive department, so it can also be used for putting oil in your car AND guzzling beer. (wash between uses)

So I just stopped into my local WallyMart store and bought the exact funnel as in the picture. It was 97 cents (plus 6 cents tax). It has a hole in it for a caribeaner to hang from a belt.* These are so cheap, that you could buy extras and gift them. :D

*wash between uses, so you don't smell like a nursing home!
Sham

Postby Savannah » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:05 pm

I will post a review if I try one. Hopefully Delle & I will be 2 for 2.
Savannah

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:08 pm

I think what you really need is an objective third-party on hand to verify the results. I volunteer.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Savannah » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:19 pm

I keep telling you--my Cam Girl days are long past.

(The terms of my parole forbid it.)
Savannah

Postby Sham » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:25 pm

For us guys on the playa, we keep a bottle next to us when we sleep---so we can fill it during the night. With a funnel like that, yooz girls can do the same thing. No need to get dressed and hike to the portos in the middle of a cold night.

Doc, that is a very kind offer for you to make. Someone will probably take you up on it.
Sham

Postby Savannah » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:36 pm

Indeed . . . the pee bottle in the tent is the best use of the funnel. It's a great timesaver (and a sleep-aid) more than it is "protection" in the very well maintained portos, in which I'm much more likely to just sit (or travel-lysol and sit). The portos are cleaner than the average public restroom. How many bathrooms at fast food joints or bookstores or whathaveyou are cleaned 2+ times a day?
Savannah

Postby 7chix&me » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:54 pm

7chix&me wrote:Just use a bottle of water (the same one you drink out of!)

I think my previous post might need a little clarification--what I meant was use the water from your bottle to rinse your funnel right into the potty or jug! That way you don't have to exit the porto holding a pee soaked funnel...you can just tuck it right back wherever it came from and be on your merry little way.

7chix&me wrote:I got a GOGIRL for BM, but now that I've read this thread, I will be sure to practice with it and buy a different one if it doesn't work for me. Thanks everyone for all the good info!!

Also, I'm sure you're all waiting with baited breath for MY assessment of the GO GIRL!! As has been mentioned previously, it is very squishy and takes some practice to use without pouring pee all down your legs and clothes, but I am practicing and getting better. For now, I am practicing without clothes to avoid those embarrassing wet spots. I have found it works better if you don't wait to long to relieve yourself--if the flow is too brisk the cup literally overfloweth! And the handy diagram on the package REALLY is the best way to hold that sucker!

delle wrote:
7chix&me wrote:
I've used this technique for years in public restrooms with another device that might come in handy at BM for those gals lucky enough to have their period that week. Google "menstrual cup". (sorry if I offend anyone or if slightly OT, but I thought it might be helpful and I haven't seen a thread on the topic yet!)

Because I don't think it's all that off topic... being yet another one of those devices that can change a girl's experience:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5610
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9434
Again tho, not something you try for the first time on-playa, so now's the time to discover it!!!!

Definitely! And so environmentally friendly, too--nothing to dispose of!
7chix&me

Postby CitizenRandom » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:41 am

we refer to it as a pee funnel- there is a camp for this..

Pee Funel Camp-

check out the archives. they give them away on sight but may I say ..out porta potties are the cleanest damn potties youll ever be amazed to experiance... :D
yours in the flame
CitizenRandom

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:52 am

Yes indeed, in my experience the JOTS in BRC are usually quite clean. If I have any doubt about the seat, I give it a spritz from a tiny bottle of vinegar water I carry on my belt. That stuff sanitizes everything, including my hands afterwards.

Ladies, please, just sit down and pee, it's so much easier and cleaner and better for your bladder. Hovering and funneling, in females, sets up a nasty cycle of incomplete emptying that weakens the bladder over time. Exercise your muscles properly and they will work better. This is not rocket science.

And :? why can't you just visit the JOTS before you go to bed, instead of peeing in your bedroom a few hours later? I have never understood the middle of the night pee-jug thing for women. It's not like we have prostates holding us back. :?
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby Elorrum » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:10 am

MyDearFriend wrote:Yes indeed, in my experience the JOTS in BRC are usually quite clean. If I have any doubt about the seat, I give it a spritz from a tiny bottle of vinegar water I carry on my belt. That stuff sanitizes everything, including my hands afterwards.

Ladies, please, just sit down and pee, it's so much easier and cleaner and better for your bladder. Hovering and funneling, in females, sets up a nasty cycle of incomplete emptying that weakens the bladder over time. Exercise your muscles properly and they will work better. This is not rocket science.

And :? why can't you just visit the JOTS before you go to bed, instead of peeing in your bedroom a few hours later? I have never understood the middle of the night pee-jug thing for women. It's not like we have prostates holding us back. :?

8) and now, on to shatter the use of babywipes in the JOTS as well. Aren't they just for babies who have to sit in a diaper for a while in their own poo? KILL THE BABYWIPE BEAST!
Midnight on a carousel ride
Reaching for the gold ring down inside

2015 eplaya meet and greet/ Barbie Death Village/ 7 and E/ Wed. 6PM
Elorrum

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket (BDV)

Postby AntiM » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:22 am

MyDearFriend wrote:

I've almost always had to get up in the middle of the night to pee. Even as a young thing with muscles like steel which could do tricks with fruit, I had to get up after about four hours of sleep to pee. If I make six hours complete snoozing, it is a miracle.
Read Me!! Ticket Sellers and Seekers!

Really, read the damn sticky posts.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Savannah » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:52 am

MyDearFriend wrote:Yes indeed, in my experience the JOTS in BRC are usually quite clean. If I have any doubt about the seat, I give it a spritz from a tiny bottle of vinegar water I carry on my belt. That stuff sanitizes everything, including my hands afterwards.

This might explain why it's such a relief to sit, and is still technically my preference (although I have gotten good at being a reasonable complete-ist with the funnel). I am glad to know that, though.

I'm a light sleeper, and sometimes have a terrible time getting back to sleep after awakening, so--for me--it can mean an extra sleep cycle, and not going bugnuts. :)

Savannah

PreviousNext

Return to Shelter & Camping