Any ladies ever try a she wee or similar device?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Any ladies ever try a she wee or similar device?

Postby KrisMuffin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:49 pm

I know this is weird, but I'm not a fan of porta potties. I would rather not sit if I don't have to, but hate hovering as it causes more mess and work than that activity ever needs to be. Has an lady used on of these?
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - W. Wonka
KrisMuffin

Re: Any ladies ever try a she wee or similar device?

Postby AntiM » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:46 pm

Lots of the gals do, successfully. Personally, I wonder about rinsing them because carrying around something I peed through? Um? There's a thread on it somewhere on eplaya.

And thanks for not hovering. Actually, the portos are not that bad at all. I sit.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:26 pm

Ever camped anywhere? In your life?

Off-topic, this needs a sticky thread, being such a perennial subject of vast wonderment.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby KrisMuffin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:33 pm

KrisMuffin wrote:I know this is weird, but I'm not a fan of porta potties. I would rather not sit if I don't have to, but hate hovering as it causes more mess and work than that activity ever needs to be. Has an lady used on of these?

For some reason I have a better results when I search through google than I do on the site. So of course after posting this I found the thread. I do feel much better knowing they're not as bad as my imagine has pictured.

You know what I thought about to rinse the device? A small aerosol spray water can? Would that hold up in the heat? An aweosme burner Pm'd me and told me theres a camp that gives them out. Might be fun to find it if I can!

Hovering= major pet peeve of mine! My grandmother also made me take the time to wipe the seat off, and cover it with paper if its bad. She would have been a great burner i think if it was around when she was young.
KrisMuffin

Postby KrisMuffin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:45 pm

Bob wrote:Ever camped anywhere? In your life?

Dear Bob,
Unless you have vagina and use this device, why are you commenting?
If you have nothing nice or constructive to say, keep it in your cushions.

I actually grew up and and still have an 80 acre farm in TN. We do our business without a special device Near a tree. But since this is leave no trace and hovering is nasty for everyone, I think there is ntohing wrong with seeking advice about an alternative I'm unfamiliar with.
KrisMuffin

Postby Savannah » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:41 pm

KrisMuffin wrote:I know this is weird, but I'm not a fan of porta potties. I would rather not sit if I don't have to, but hate hovering as it causes more mess and work than that activity ever needs to be. Has an lady used on of these?

Bless you for not hovering. There really isn't a good excuse, and occasionally the next user WILL call out a . . . sprinkle-pony . . . for her nasty habits. Because it's so rude to leave that for the next person . . .

I have tried the "Freshette" and the "Go Girl" devices. The Freshette wins, hands down (and its stupid price reflects that). The design is just way better and easier to use (whereas I am somewhat dissatisfied with the Go Girl. It's useable, but it's really soft silicone; I don't think that's an advantage, besides being squashable--but it doesn't take up that much space anyway, so squashableness is kinda useless for me). I hear others rave about the "P-style" device.

The best use for a pee device is in one's tent using a pee bottle (a gallon-sized detergent bottle works really well, being: opaque, large, lightly scented of soap, and not mistakable in the dark for a beverage :lol: ). Pee bottles should be emptied into a portapotty urinal (less risk of splash) once per day.

Not having to walk all the way to the portos on a cold night (or a number of times in one day) is a time-saver. You wouldn't think so, but let's say you're really well-hydrated and visit the toilet 4-6 times in one day, and it takes you 5 minutes there and 5 minutes back. That's 10 minutes per trip, times 4-6 trips, or 40-60 minutes spent walking to and from the bathroom. Blasphemy--in a place like Black Rock City. That said, you do sight-see on your way, but I still love how much time I have saved since I started using these. I still visit the portos if I'm nearby concidentally or have serious business to do, but having options is fabulous, and it's very smart for Entrance and Exodus to the event. Make sure your funnel, t.p., and bottle are packed in an accessible way.

Devices can of course also be used in a porto too; use the urinal.

One last thing: practice at home before you come to the playa. It takes confidence and at least 1 practice try. If you don't have practice you may not get around to using it. That happened to me in 2009. I had a Freshette with me, and was too chicken to try it. :lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby tamarakay » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:51 pm

The PStyle rocks. I second Savannah's advice to use the bottle. Search cat litter toilet or saw dust toilet too. I am not a big fan of porta potties, and I don't care how clean they are. Just not a fan. I'm blessed with a husband who spoils me and will go empty my bottle for me. :D

I also second the advice to practice. First time I tried to use the PStyle was into a toilet. The next time was in the shower. Bit of a trick to using it, but once you get it you wonder why you made it so hard. Kinda like riding a bike.

I never use the search on Eplaya. Just google everything and add Eplaya to your search terms.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby tamarakay » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:52 pm

KrisMuffin wrote:
Bob wrote:Ever camped anywhere? In your life?

Dear Bob,
Unless you have vagina and use this device, why are you commenting?
If you have nothing nice or constructive to say, keep it in your cushions.

I actually grew up and and still have an 80 acre farm in TN. We do our business without a special device Near a tree. But since this is leave no trace and hovering is nasty for everyone, I think there is ntohing wrong with seeking advice about an alternative I'm unfamiliar with.

Don't you all just love a newbie with some swagger? lol Bob, I love you, you overstuffed curmudgeon.

tamarakay

Postby tamarakay » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:58 pm

Oh, and as far as wiping it out, I use c.f.m.'s baggie trick. I have a baggie of babywipes, and a baggie to keep the dirties in. Just clean myself up (if needed) and wipe out the funnel, toss into the dirties baggie and I can trash when back in camp. Keeps everything nice and fresh. :wink:

There, I think i'm finally done remembering things to say.

tamarakay

Postby KrisMuffin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:20 pm

Thanks Ladies!! Theres so much gear to think about, but this seems like a worthy purchase! I most def. use the Baggie trick too!
KrisMuffin

Postby Bexx » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:28 am

The go girl is über squishy!! I used it my first year.. And was all.. F this nonsense! Then last year I tried the P EZ.. Which was a little better.. But not by much. I think imna get a p style this year and try it
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!
Bexx

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Postby lemur » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:20 am

WAIT.

WAIT.

YOU STILL NEED TO POOP, RIGHT ?

THIS LITTLE DEVICE MIGHT HELP WITH PEE..

BUT.. WHAT ABOUT THE POOP? IF YER AFRAID TO SIT WHILE PEEING.... YOU GOT ME WORRIED!!

DONT HOVER EVER.. NEVER. NOT EVEN ONCE.. !! NOOO!!! SIT DOWN AND POOP IT OUT

sit down: go like a pro!

we now return to your regularly scheduled germ freakout fest.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby AntiM » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:54 am

I have yet to figure out why a hoverer would fail to raise the seat and hover over the open hole. You can use a toe to lift a seat, after all.

Now and then I run into a porto so awful I just wait for the next one. Very rare. I've peed in third world toilets which make our blue saunas look pristine.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby lemur » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:59 am

AntiM wrote: I've peed in third world toilets which make our blue saunas look pristine.

maybe more germaphobes here in the first world?
lemur

Postby ygmir » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:50 am

Disclaimer: I have no vagina. though, I do like to borrow them whenever possible.

I might suggest, you do as I do, or follow me to the JOTS:

I carry a small hand spray bottle of lysol, and clean the seat, and handle for me and for the folks who follow me. Decent scent and it' kills everything. you could also spray your pee funnel thing, it should also clean and deodorize.

just a thought.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Bob » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:23 am

Imagine anyone with a penis having anything to say. Shush, you unladylike penis possessor.

Bob

Postby ygmir » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:43 am

Bob wrote:Imagine anyone with a penis having anything to say. Shush, you unladylike penis possessor.

I'm proud to say ,yes ,I posses an unladylike penis.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby KrisMuffin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:55 am

ygmir wrote:Disclaimer: I have no vagina. though, I do like to borrow them whenever possible.

Hey, A Penis with some sense! Lol! Thanks was great.
I forgot about those small cans of Lysol (Stealing idea!). And if I see you in line, I'm right behind you!
KrisMuffin

Postby tamarakay » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:33 am

Kitty litter toilets are the bomb.
Ken hates porta potties more than I do so that is helpful handy info for me to possess.

tamarakay

Postby Bob » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:57 am

Bob

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:28 pm

OOOOOoooh, Bob, those Lysol as douche ads make me so glad I grew up in the last third fo the 20th century...

And, everyone, of course you practice! If you've ever been in a men's toilet you'll know that a lot of them have reached adulthood without mastering the technique. Why should women think it comes easy?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:40 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:OOOOOoooh, Bob, those Lysol as douche ads make me so glad I grew up in the last third fo the 20th century...

And, everyone, of course you practice! If you've ever been in a men's toilet you'll know that a lot of them have reached adulthood without mastering the technique. Why should women think it comes easy?

*searching.....searching.....there's gotta be a dozen straight lines (nothing to do with sexual preference) in there.........

Simon, paging SOP, pink courtesy telephone please.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:52 pm

Oh, go start a hoverbike thread...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:31 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Oh, go start a hoverbike thread...

hovering is the whole point of this thread.......well, trying to stop it's occurrence.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby glitteranddust » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:29 am

Er, so I hope I'm not out of line talking on this (not very ladylike here) but...

If you're on the cheap and want something small enough to fit in a half sandwich ziplock (or a pocket) a children's medicine spoon with the measurement end cut off at about a thirty degree angle should work fine and let you aim pretty well (use the spoon side against your body). Melt the ends a bit so it's smooth and rough bits don't cause you to spray everywhere. Ideally you'll probably want to practice in the shower or something before you try that one in a BM porta potty, especially if you aren't 100% sure exactly where everything is down there. But yeah, I've made a couple of these for women who didn't bring anything and didn't want to carry around a big honking pee funnel. They said they worked really good,.. but for one them it took a bit for her to get the hang of.
"A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows."

Sober on the playa? http://www.runfreecamp.com
glitteranddust

Postby delle » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:10 am

I love my shewee.
Bought it many months before and used it all the time (practice).

The kids got real good at yelling "MOM!!! You left the seat up AGAIN!!!"

Then I went and forgot to pack it.

So I used a PeeCamp funnel. Two actually, because one failed on me.

So:

1. Get one. You'll NEED IT. The jots really aren't that bad (PLOP YOUR BUTT DOWN! You won't die) But it's nice to have the urinal or jug option. The jug: For the mid-night pee. The early-morning-just-not-ready-to-call-it-done pee. The in-the-middle-of-something-good-and-don't-want-to-take-off-to-the-jots-and-risk-being-"lost"-for-the-next-16-hours pee. (for those of us who are easily distracted).

2. Use it at home. If you get the hose attachment, it gets thru any costume. ANGLE is EVERYTHING. Always make sure that gravity can do its thing -- otherwise you'll be wet and embarrassed. (I've done this twice. The hose takes extra practice).

3. The pee funnels provided on-playa are great, but they're not really meant to be schlepped around in your bag I think. They're a plastic cup with hole in the bottom and a section of hose attached with silicone. If the hose gets wiggled too much the silicone WILL detach and it WILL fail. It's a great little addition for the tent if you happen to forget yours at home tho.......

4. DON'T FORGET YOURS AT HOME!!!

Also. You'll have it forever. The tree will always be there, but it's nice not to have to squat. "Look what I can do!" becomes your party claim-to-fame. Also, because of the material used and the design, there is nary a trace of pee left on it after use. A mister would be fine (unlike the cup model that retains a puddle).

I think the question is more "which one" rather than "should I". Research them all and go with your gut. I got the shewee for its stealth design and hose option. I think it has more of a learning curve tho because of these things -- it's easy to angle it improperly if you're not really paying attention. So Practice, Practice, Practice - and Pay Attention Whilst Peeing. (hahaha. Great motto for my day!)
GYPSY! We need your opinion on this. STAT!!
delle

Postby Boijoy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:27 pm

these even come with its own solidifyer.

don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:24 pm

I've used those - surprisingly, they work really well. Of course, you have a bag of jellified pee to deal with... Mmmm... Something to leave out as a snack for moochers??? :twisted: Still, I dig my Freshette... Takes practice, but when you're staring at a Russian or italian Shithole (Literally, that's what they are), you're damn glad to have something like that. That, and good nose plugs!

ygmir wrote:
Bob wrote:Imagine anyone with a penis having anything to say. Shush, you unladylike penis possessor.

I'm proud to say ,yes ,I posses an unladylike penis.

I've heard that it's not unliked by ladies... Actually, rumor has it the whole package makes it all that much better... :oops:

theCryptofishist wrote:OOOOOoooh, Bob, those Lysol as douche ads make me so glad I grew up in the last third fo the 20th century...

+100. I looked at that and went... Ewwww...

and she also wrote:And, everyone, of course you practice! If you've ever been in a men's toilet you'll know that a lot of them have reached adulthood without mastering the technique. Why should women think it comes easy?

I ran a couple businesses in my years, and had to clean both the girls and bys room. While Guys apparently cannot aim that thing they're born with (I mean, yeesh, does it jump when you touch it too, or are you just blind and spastic??) girls rooms are f'n pigstys. Serious - I've seen more gross stuff in ladies rooms (who are apparently too dainty to clean their own mess up, or flush a toilet) than I care to imagine.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby lemur » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:31 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:
I ran a couple businesses in my years, and had to clean both the girls and bys room. While Guys apparently cannot aim that thing they're born with (I mean, yeesh, does it jump when you touch it too, or are you just blind and spastic??) girls rooms are f'n pigstys. Serious - I've seen more gross stuff in ladies rooms (who are apparently too dainty to clean their own mess up, or flush a toilet) than I care to imagine.

ive heard this from every person who has had to clean bathrooms and most females ive known and loved
lemur

Postby ygmir » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:12 pm

lemur wrote:
Bay Bridge Sue wrote:

ive heard this from every person who has had to clean bathrooms and most females ive known and loved

yup, I worked in a few gas stations as a kid..........it's all true.

BBS is making me blush
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping