recyclable shower?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: recyclable shower?

Postby lemur » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:52 pm

i want to see someone pissing playadust.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:04 am

Liver bypass surgery is not up to that kinda standard yet.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby moonrise » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:05 am

Drucifer303 wrote:
moonrise wrote:Blech, keep it simple I say. I haul the grey water off in 5 gallon jugs (add a dash of bleach, or not).

You'd be amazed at how clean you can get with a solar shower bag and or gallon sized jugs of water set on your vehicles hood to warm in the sun.
If using the jugs, a 2 to 4 gallon shower is good for me....less if using a garden sprayer or solar bag.

Be sure to get the shower done before the sun drps below the mountains, it drops fast and the temp goes down quickly. Or shower during the warm daytime.

For privacy, big box stores sell $35 shower tents. Just pour the warmed water over yourselves straight from the jug or solar shower bag and or use a garden sprayer (cutting the garden sprayer hose shorter helps if you can jamb it back onto the sprayer, it helps maneuvering for those hard to reach spots).

Good luck and maybe she'll get (tougher) over the silly OCD bs, toughen her up a bit, sheesh...it's just camping. Have fun! ;)

well thats part of why were are coming. to expose her to new and dirty things :)

Woops, eplaya ate my original response. :oops:

The short version is a reminder to buy a square (or rectangular, if out of square) plastic cement mixing tub at a home despot or lowes to stand in while showering. They usually fit inside the $35 big box store type shower tents. These cement tubs protect the playa from shower water over-spillage.

Use a big plastic funnel for pouring grey water back into the 5 gallon jugs. Tub $15 to $20 funnel $3

Playa dust, there's no finer~ dirty thing on earth, aye! ;)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby KrisMuffin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:41 pm

Savannah wrote:
moonrise wrote:Be sure to get the shower done before the sun drps below the mountains, it drops fast and the temp goes down quickly. Or shower during the warm daytime.

Yeah . . . just before sunset (or if it's still warm, just after) is my favorite time for a shower. I'm less likely to sweat immediately afterwards, no sunscreen to put back on, and the wind (usually) dies with the sun, so I don't get dirty as fast. It's a good strategy for your girl, Drucifer! :)

Savannah,
May I just say that you give some of the best advice on here. Thanks!

Question: Its just me and my roommate camping and the only grey water well be making is maybe a 1/2 gal a day while taking an old school "sink bath." No dishes as I plan on using pater plates and precooked tin foil meals that can be steam heated. I read on the BM site that you can sprinkle your filtered gray water on the ground if it's in small amounts. I don't want to do anything that hurts the environment nor be yelled at by vets, but i am traveling from the east coast and can't bring everything. Is it ok if I use biodegrade soap?

Post is from: http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... water.html
What about scattering my grey water? What might be okay for a small (less than 5 people) group doesn't work in a large city. For reasons of sanitation, and sheer volume, both Black Rock City and the BLM discourage scattering. However, if you're in a very small camp, with minimal dish and body washing water, you might choose to pour your grey water through a filter or sieve (better, a paint sieve or even pantyhose), disinfect the water, then, since it is treated, disperse it on your street to keep down dust. A watering can works nicely for sprinkling.
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - W. Wonka
KrisMuffin

Postby Max Callahan » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:47 pm

I took the Alternative energy zone tour last year, and there as a gent who had a water recycling system set up. I should have taken notes/pictures (and unfortunately there isn't a writeup on the aez webpage), but it went mostly like:
55 gallon drum settling tank (I think with alum as a flocculant)
2 pool filters (big micron /small micron)
an ozoneator

Somewhere in there were some chemicals, as I recall him mentioning that the finished water was potable, but had a hint of swimming pool to it, so they mostly used the reclaimed water for showers and swamp coolers. The whole system ran off batteries that were charged off solar panels.

I would think, that if you were starting with drinkable water, that had only been used to shower, then you don't need to worry about things like the hard to kill cysts since there weren't any to begin with and you're not introducing them to the system, you mainly need to clean out the playa dust and the soap.

Myself I use the human carcass wash technique of 1 spray bottle of water with some Dr bronners soap, 1 spray bottle of water to rinse, but that only gets you as far as you are willing to let your hair go, but it does use very little water.
Max Callahan

Postby BBadger » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:20 am

Oh, we're not talking about golden showers here huh? I mean, it is recycling right?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby NessaZee » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:07 am

Drucifer303 wrote:well thats part of why were are coming. to expose her to new and dirty things :)

lol
<insert 'old and dirty drew' joke here />

**edit...name
~Om-Nom-Nom~~simplicity is potent~~handjob gallery~~the best is yet to come~
NessaZee

Postby Savannah » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:11 pm

KrisMuffin wrote:
Savannah wrote:
moonrise wrote:Be sure to get the shower done before the sun drps below the mountains, it drops fast and the temp goes down quickly. Or shower during the warm daytime.

Yeah . . . just before sunset (or if it's still warm, just after) is my favorite time for a shower. I'm less likely to sweat immediately afterwards, no sunscreen to put back on, and the wind (usually) dies with the sun, so I don't get dirty as fast. It's a good strategy for your girl, Drucifer! :)

Savannah,
May I just say that you give some of the best advice on here. Thanks!

Thank you! :)

Question: Its just me and my roommate camping and the only grey water well be making is maybe a 1/2 gal a day while taking an old school "sink bath." No dishes as I plan on using pater plates and precooked tin foil meals that can be steam heated. I read on the BM site that you can sprinkle your filtered gray water on the ground if it's in small amounts. I don't want to do anything that hurts the environment nor be yelled at by vets, but i am traveling from the east coast and can't bring everything. Is it ok if I use biodegrade soap?

Post is from: http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... water.html
What about scattering my grey water? What might be okay for a small (less than 5 people) group doesn't work in a large city. For reasons of sanitation, and sheer volume, both Black Rock City and the BLM discourage scattering. However, if you're in a very small camp, with minimal dish and body washing water, you might choose to pour your grey water through a filter or sieve (better, a paint sieve or even pantyhose), disinfect the water, then, since it is treated, disperse it on your street to keep down dust. A watering can works nicely for sprinkling.

I do have a concrete mixing tub, an evap pond (the same one as on the Grey Water page on the main site), plus a watering can and bleach. I can evap most everything, but if for some reason there is a little left over, I bleach-treat and scatter a little bit grey water on the street in a little pattern. Indeed, for camps of 5 or less, the site says it is acceptable--and you will likely have very little.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Drucifer303 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:59 am

Max Callahan wrote:I took the Alternative energy zone tour last year, and there as a gent who had a water recycling system set up. I should have taken notes/pictures (and unfortunately there isn't a writeup on the aez webpage), but it went mostly like:
55 gallon drum settling tank (I think with alum as a flocculant)
2 pool filters (big micron /small micron)
an ozoneator

Somewhere in there were some chemicals, as I recall him mentioning that the finished water was potable, but had a hint of swimming pool to it, so they mostly used the reclaimed water for showers and swamp coolers. The whole system ran off batteries that were charged off solar panels.

I would think, that if you were starting with drinkable water, that had only been used to shower, then you don't need to worry about things like the hard to kill cysts since there weren't any to begin with and you're not introducing them to the system, you mainly need to clean out the playa dust and the soap.

Myself I use the human carcass wash technique of 1 spray bottle of water with some Dr bronners soap, 1 spray bottle of water to rinse, but that only gets you as far as you are willing to let your hair go, but it does use very little water.

ozone in sufficient concentration will kill everything. its very good at it.

the ozone generator i plan on using ought to get me to 2ppm, which nukes mostly everything thats likely to be in used shower water.

@ness - the more dirty drew jokes the better :)
Pretend I said something truly hilarious here.
Drucifer303

Burning Since: 2013

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping