Recommendations for an old-lady-solo-new comer?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Recommendations for an old-lady-solo-new comer?

Postby Patiencepie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:35 pm

I have read the survival guide and required reading but am still looking for additional advice....
I'm an old lady, I have pitched many a tent in my life but am just too wimpy to heave tipi poles (even though I have a super cool tipi). I was going to tent camp and I am being very warned against this...are "domes" easier to assemble for the not so big and strong?
I "think" I can hammer rebar, maybe I better try this at home to be sure??? Still, how do you get it back out of the ground?
Sure I would "like" to have a little kitchen set up and some comforts but I am coming alone probably by car. I may know some folks who will be there but if I can not find them, I better be able to set myself up. Self reliance right?
Any recommendations or ideas that don't require a "crew"?
I have waited years for this, I have a ticket, and I am planning ahead. Any ideas specific to an older person who is arriving solo? (I'm not THAT old, in my 40's, just 5 ft tall, but I don't want to get a hernia trying to be macho either!)
Thanks so much!
Patiencepie

Re: Recommendations for an old-lady-solo-new comer?

Postby graidawg » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:40 pm

hi there, my suggestion would be a monkey hut carefully planned and assembled at home for trial runs and asking for help if needed. a pipe spanner (not sure if thats what they call it over there though) pulls rebar out a treat. use tarpaulins for a groundsheet as the also gove you a good marker for where the rebar needs to go. my dear friend did this and i managed to assemble the monkey hut pretty easily with no idea what i was doing- she alos built it hersefo several times at home for practice. also 40 is younger than me and im not old. i beleive the average at BM is well over 40 too
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby illy dilly » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:57 pm

I would say, skip the dome. No need.
Graidawg hit the nail on the head!
Go with the Monkey Hut.

Also, keep in mind that even though you might be driving in alone, doesn't mean you camping alone. You will be surrounded by folks that would love to give you a hand setting up your monkey hut.

What sort of car do you think you'll be driving?
The only issue I see with the Monkey hut is that the PVC poles aren't short.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Elorrum » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:00 pm

In addition to my regular camp stuff, and rei dome tent, I brought something like this my first year solo @47. You'll want shade. If you look like you are struggling, people will ask if you need help. If you go help someone else first, then it's easy to ask them to help you with a tricky part. Kelty makes them, and also alps.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/abo-ge ... rFamily=30

If the tipi is super cool, you'll really wish you'd brought it. Meet your neighbors, offer coffee, soda, beer, talk for a while, then mention your super cool tipi...

I didn't have any storage space at the time, so building and storing something large was not an option. This packs down the size of a regular tent. Most tents will survive, use EVERY guy out point it has and pull ropes tight. Its the flapping that does the most damage. You can pound rebar with an engineers hammer, or a drilling hammer 2lb, 3lb. Pull it out by twisting it with vice grips, or I like long handled slip joint pliers. Last year I brought a handy pounding helper. a piece of pipe with a cap on it for a bigger striking surface.

Look for info here, there's tons of it.

finally a "how to" question!!!!!
Midnight on a carousel ride
Reaching for the gold ring down inside

2015 eplaya meet and greet/ Barbie Death Village/ 7 and E/ Wed. 6PM
Elorrum

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Look at some of the camps where people band together, such as Hushville, Staggers, and the orphan camps. No dues (that I know of) and you'll have neighbors watching your back and lending a hand.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:08 pm

40's = "old"

:lol:

You'll be fine, young missy. ;)
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Patiencepie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:37 pm

Gosh thanks! I would like to bring my tipi coz I painted it and it's 14 ft. And really cool. I can ALMOST set it up by myself. But not quite!
Patiencepie

Postby Savannah » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:40 pm

Hi PatiencePie!

The biggest age group out there was either 25-40 or 25-45, according to the last census (let's go with the more generous range; I like it!) and this is what I generally observe with my own eyes . . . and there are lots of people older than that! It's no big deal. Frankly, sometimes it's hard to tell age out there, with everyone looking happier than usual, refusing to "dress their age" (so feel free to wear whatever you want, please!) and the markers of normal age and status discarded after the drive in, a cotton puddle on the dusty floor of a tent . . .

You do not need to use rebar for an average tent; 10 inch Coleman stakes work for me in a GuideGear Single-pole Wigwam (super easy assembly, very much like a tipi, really . . . roomy, and you can stand in it). I light the guylines and the (pounded flat) stakes at night, and they stay in so well that I need to remove them with a wrecking bar at the end of the week. I love, love, love my wrecking bar. (Fulton 30-inch; removes [Coleman] stakes really well; great trick for the petite dismantler, but don't rush and yank too hard, the end is sharp).

I do use rebar for my heavy steel shade structure because you do NOT want that thing flying up into the air; the rebar pieces are either 18 inches or 2 feet, and I need to pound a minimum of 4 rebar stakes--of course--but 6-8 stakes are even better. I top the rebar with pierced tennis balls so no one cuts themselves. I'm not the fastest rebar pounder in the world, partly out of caution and having seen a few nice rebar injuries, but will be constructing for myself one of the "pounding helpers" Elorrum illustrates above, so that I have a bigger striking surface. (Always wear work gloves!) Rebar is not necessary to pound all the way down. You might drive it in about a foot, leaving a foot of it out (tilting outwards slightly) and topped with the aforementioned tennis balls, Barbie heads, pop bottles, whatever. They make rebar toppers shaped like orange mushrooms but I've heard they get knocked off easily; no experience with 'em myself. Tennis balls are great, though.

. . . To get rebar out I just put gloves on and get out the sledgehammer and sort of knock the rebar around a bit and work it out of the ground.

I had a shade designed that I could set up myself if I had to, which is always a good way to operate as far as I'm concerned. (I really enjoy knowing that I can deal if no one helps me). But yeah, people are pretty helpful anyway. Even if you're 5 feet tall you can pull something taut or hold something up a bit, or help tie knots, and then they can help you.

Then break for beverages. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby FeetOfClay » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:55 pm

You do not need to use rebar for an average tent; 10 inch Coleman stakes work for me in a GuideGear Single-pole Wigwam

thanks so much for posting this!!! having read the first-timers-guide, i was convinced that i'd need rebar (even tho i am only bringing a small tent), but now that i see i can use 10 inch stakes, that is a relief.
'
i was afraid that bending the rebar would be a hassle!
What is this quintessence of dust?
FeetOfClay

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Postby Savannah » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:57 pm

I don't have bent (candy-caned) rebar myself; you can use straight rebar (for a really massive canvas tent, or something heavier than a tent, like a shade structure). If you use straight rebar, just cover the tops for the protection of all, with some of the ideas above. :)

Honestly, I have gotten by with tent stakes shorter than 10", but after 2008's storms I would prefer not to. These are the ones I use for my tent:
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-10-Inch-S ... B002HU086C

The plastic helpers on the heads occasionally pry up after one or two Burns, but the wrecking bar can still get em out; it has a forked end and a long handle. I always pack some extras of these; they're so inexpensive.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:25 pm

Bring the daggone tipi, it will be great! And there will be plenty of folks around who are smitten with the coolness of it and want to participate in setting it up. 8)

I know it's hard to imagine strangers doing that. And you want to plan only having only yourself to rely on. I started planning my first Burn as a solo female, 53 years old, 5'3"... yeah. Monkey Hut was my choice because I knew I could handle it alone. I planned to be alone, because I didn't know anybody else who was going. But guess what? I came in here and suddenly, had friends. And a camp. And a very wonderful Camping Buddy. 8) We all helped each other.

So I think you will have NO problem setting up that tipi. You know and like and trust it. Bring it Home!

And definitely do not bend your rebar. Cover it instead. Those cheap solar garden lights fit over half-inch rebar just beautifully.

10-inch steel tent stakes (the garden-nail type) work fine for a low-ish dome tent, if it's sheltered from the full force of the wind. Anything taller should be guyed down to something that penetrates further into the playa. A 14 foot tipi needs 24 inch rebar, I'd think; you can drive it 18 inches down and still have plenty to tie & light. Light everything!!! It is really crazy dark out there and I have gotten lost 10 feet from my tent. :oops:

Like Grai said, a wrench works great to get rebar back out, especially if you pour a little water into the hole first. No hernia.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:39 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:Like Grai said, a wrench works great to get rebar back out, especially if you pour a little water into the hole first. No hernia.

yes and

My secret to rebar removal is to rotate it in a full circle before attempting to pull out. Back and fourth will work if there is an obstruction. I prefer vice grips but large channel lock pliers will work.

It won't be a problem finding help. People will already be looking out for you once you start setting up camp. Everybody knows helping someone get settled is a great way to meet people and start to build that solid neighborhood feel.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:56 pm

I'd say that a dome is actually rather difficult to set up. They take at least 3 different length struts that have to be in the right configuration and they have a lot of joints.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elliot » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:20 pm

Bring the tipi, Kid!
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby The Bee » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:35 pm

For my first burn, I couldn't make it to the playa until mid week because of job constraints. My wife wanted to go for the whole week. She sat through a dust storm in line on opening day, and then set up our tent and shade structure on her own. She's not a hair taller than 5' and we're in our 50's. A neighbor did offer to help her. Then, on Wednesday, I sauntered in, and all I had to do was open a beer!
The Bee

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Bob » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:49 pm

If the teepee and poles are in good shape, and you're comfortable setting it up, that will work, just ask camp neighbors when you need help. I hear liners help. Orient the opening away from the W-SW major wind direction. Staking is important so it doesn't turn turtle in the wind. I'd place a straight steel stake (eg 1/2" rebar or 3/4" concrete stake 2 or 3 ft long) alongside the tripod poles, leaving a foot or so sticking up, and lash to the poles with parachute cord or light rope. W-shaped military surplus stakes 9" long driven flush to the ground surface should work fine for tying off the cover; or use small bent rebar stakes or something similarly robust. Bring extra stakes and cordage.

Any tent can be made to work, though a good quality mountaineering tent, Springbar or Kodiak is best. Use vehicles etc. as a windbreak. Given your height, you can get away with a shorter mountaineering tent. Shade mesh draped over the tent and tied to stakes is the simplest way to add more sun protection over the tent. For hanging out ouside the tent, REI has simple shade awnings eg the Kelty Sunshade or Noah's Tarp, or figure out how to rig a regular tarp from poles. Home Depot and other places have shade cloth triangles called "shade sails" you can rig from poles and vehicles.

You're not going to the moon, it just looks like it.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby graidawg » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:07 am

I just love eplaya! patience pie i think MDF nailed it
MyDearFriend wrote:I know it's hard to imagine strangers doing that.

but then
MyDearFriend wrote:We all helped each other.

So I think you will have NO problem setting up that tipi. You know and like and trust it. Bring it Home!

I think you will make a ridiculous amount of friends here and on the playa, come tot the meet n greet so you can see them in person
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Raymaker » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:38 am

I'm in a Facebook group for older burners and your way too young to join the group, you are not old :)
Raymaker

Postby tamarakay » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:46 am

I would call you a whippersnapper lol
Don't let all the pictures of the cute young things trick you. Kendoll and I are 52 and 54.
Look through the theme camp threads, there are lots of them that are going to need enthusiastic young campers such as yourself!

Welcome to Eplaya.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Igneouss » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:08 am

I'm older than you :)
I've been a few times.
All the advice above is great and I note that the authors are well respected folks around here.
My $.02 is that you keep it simple your first year. Bring a camping tent. Bring some bigger stakes. As other have pointed out, rebar can be overkill for some applications. 12" spikes are good for basic tents.

Plan for max flexibility and simplicity and you will be fine. You will also discover how wonderfully helpful all your neighbors can be.

For me the funny part was the discovery that having a decent and flexible plan is actually more important then the specific contents of the plan...

Cheers!
(and welcome)
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby moonrise » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:09 am

I like having a few various sizes of small ground tarps staked down around camp, but they are the ugly/noisy silver type.. I may buy some floor canvas (I saw a great photo of painted floor canvas in an AntiM post) and paint an interesting design on it. It should come out looking like a nice looking rug, or just leave it natural color and you're good to go..feels great for walking in flip flops or barefoot. I'd have it cover the area in front of the entrance of the tent or Tipi.
Use big washers and long lag bolts to stake ground tarps or canvas down (I think this is best, or maybe somneone else knows a better method?) Bring a simple ratchet wrench set for the lag bolts.

]'[ Bring the tipi if you can ]'[ there's plenty of help around to set up and take it down.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:43 am

This is what Moonrise is talking about! 8)

http://www.wholesalebolts.com/hexheadlagscrews3/8x14.aspx

This size will fit THROUGH your grommets!

I'll be bringing a drill to install mine.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Elliot » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:37 am

Hot dog, I had not thought of threaded anchors. Does the Playa behave sufficiently like wood, so threads can be screwed in and out? I could really "go to town" with pneumatic tools. Are there even bigger lag screws made?

Camp website:

Elliot

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:47 pm

Yeah Elliot, look at the left side in the link.

The 5/8" go to 24"

I picked the 3/8 cause they fit through a grommet perfectly, so once their screwed clear down, their safely out of the way.

No pounding sounds good to me! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Elliot » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:07 pm

Ah, silly me... there they are. And 3/4 x 24 also. Have you already used this method, or are we still guessing at the "screwability" of playa dirt?

Camp website:

Elliot

Postby Bob » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:54 pm

No. The playa is not a 2x4.

Bob

Postby Elliot » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:44 pm

I wouldn't think so, from all the stakes I've driven in and pulled out -- the stuff just crumbles. But some folks speak well of augers. I'd love to have something I could run in and out with an impact wrench.

Camp website:

Elliot

Postby Bob » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:49 pm

It's not supposed to be easy, that's why they call it THE DESERT. I've used lag bolts (and threaded rod) for stakes with a washer on top, but as with rebar, you risk tearing out loops and grommets; 3/8" and 1/2" drive fine with a framing or decking hammer.

Bob

Postby Elliot » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:54 pm

Oh, I always bring a three-foot sledge and a four-foot jack, for the bigger stakes, but I want to play with my pneumatic toys! :lol:

Camp website:

Elliot

Postby Bob » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:07 pm

Playa ate my DeWalt drill, saber saw & charger. Maybe it hates yellow tools as much as I do.

Everything in camp goes in and comes out with a framing hammer and a 6-inch vice grip now.

Bob

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping