Where is the closest city to Rent an RV?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Where is the closest city to Rent an RV?

Postby sassica » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:56 am

Hi, this will be my first Burn, looking to rent a reliable RV closest to Burning man to save costs.

What city is easy to access to rent a Cruise America RV?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

cheers!
The best is yet to come :)
sassica

Re: Where is the closest city to Rent an RV?

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:14 pm

Reno. There are many renting RV threads with info on good and bad companies, BM allowed or prohibited, private rental, and when RV's sell out. It's an unpredictable year though, and there could be a big demand from people who are willing to spend $$ on scalped tickets+an RV.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Drawingablank » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:42 pm

Reno would be the closest, but last year they were pretty much fully booked by now so you may have to rent from further off. The closest we could find along our travel route last January was Salt Lake City.

CA is definitely burner friendly and even gives you a printed sheet about using the RV at BRC.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Canoe » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:31 pm

I rented from them out of Salt Lake City. Saw more Burners picking up there too. Searched here on tips for keeping RV clean, wiped down with swiffer floor sheets and duster - got full deposit back. Was cheaper to buy extras I needed from thrift stores or Wallyword, instead of renting their dishes, sheets, etc..
Can be a windy drive. Very windy.

I've seen references on eplaya for Burner friendly, or even from Burners, out of Reno. May be a premium price, but then you save the time, time cost, mileage cost and gas cost of a longer drive.
Search eplaya...
Odd. No bears to watch in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Savannah » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:42 pm

I've seen recommendations for Sacramento . . .

Here are my two favorite RV threads of all time. Neither are about where-to-rent, but may help you 1) save your sanity and 2) get your deposit back:

Exp. RVers: Suggestions for House rules for renting an RV (Best Tip? In the RV, POOPETH NOT).
viewtopic.php?t=34551

Keeping the RV dust-free (well, as dust-free as possible)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46062
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:17 am

Salt Lake does have a big airport, huge Delta hub. So airfares into SLC may be lower than into SF. Can't hurt to factor that in.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:43 am

Yah, we dropped my son there and I must say it is the least congested airport I've ever seen in a major city. Easy to get to, no traffic, and no hassles - the complete opposite of the airports around New York City.

I'm not sure if the lower fares will offset the additional mileage charges and extra fuel expense though. SLC to BRC is about 1,500 miles roundtrip and those things get about 8 MPG at best. We only rented from there because it was the closest we could find coming from the East coast.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Drawingablank

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:06 am

Yeah, there are almost always RVs available here. Huge adventure/outdoor destination, so RVs are less expensive, on average. And your average RV rental place hasn't even heard of Burning Man.
AntiM

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:20 am

AntiM wrote:Yeah, there are almost always RVs available here. Huge adventure/outdoor destination, so RVs are less expensive, on average. And your average RV rental place hasn't even heard of Burning Man.

I wouldn't bet on that - when we were at Cruise America there it was all burners and they even have a special instruction sheet printed out for burners - sort of a dos and donts relative to using it on the playa. The manager told me that the Saturday before the burn is their busiest day of the year.

I'm not sure if all RV places do it, but CA has a table set up inside where they put all the camping gear and unopened food left behind by renters and it's free for the taking so be sure to give that a look before heading out.

Drawingablank

Postby AntiM » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:42 am

Drawingablank wrote:
AntiM wrote:Yeah, there are almost always RVs available here. Huge adventure/outdoor destination, so RVs are less expensive, on average. And your average RV rental place hasn't even heard of Burning Man.

I wouldn't bet on that - when we were at Cruise America there it was all burners and they even have a special instruction sheet printed out for burners - sort of a dos and donts relative to using it on the playa. The manager told me that the Saturday before the burn is their busiest day of the year.

I'm not sure if all RV places do it, but CA has a table set up inside where they put all the camping gear and unopened food left behind by renters and it's free for the taking so be sure to give that a look before heading out.

Ah, Cruise America. That's why. They're national.
AntiM

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:38 am

We chose CA because they seemed very burner friendly when we were making the reservations, and their prices were way lower than some companies we looked into.

As it turned out they are not just burner fiendly in their reservation office phone operators - everyone from CA we met was as well.

They are not the most luxurious RV's but ours worked well and we had no trouble with it.

Drawingablank

Postby CornMan » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:45 am

There is Bubba Buddha Trailers in Gerlach/Empire. They offer drop off service on the playa. They even offer shade structures.

The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby homo ardentum » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:24 pm

Looks like most RVs in N. CA are sold out or over $4,000 to rent. Las Vegas or Salt Lake City are your best bets evens when mileage is factored in. Good luck!
homo ardentum

Postby ENDIF » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:08 pm

There's always the Craigslist option: buy a box truck or RV or whatever and find somewhere close, like Reno, to stash it when you're not using it.
ENDIF

Postby playla_wook » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi sass! I just sent you a pm, go ahead and check your inbox:) perhaps we can work something out!

Xox, Ayla
playla_wook

Burning Since: 2012

Return to Shelter & Camping