Building an inexpensive shelter

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Building an inexpensive shelter

Postby organizedchaos » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi everyone!

We are looking to build (or maybe purchase for alteration) an inexpensive shelter for our theme camp. My question is if i am looking for something approx 12'W x 20'L x 10'H do you think its more cost effective to purchase something (i saw something i liked for $700, seems a little steep for something i am just going to alter anyway) or build it?

If so, do you have any suggestions on the best way to build something rectangular like this? Love the ease of a geo dome, but don't think it will work in this scenario.
The answer is never no.
organizedchaos

Re: Building an inexpensive shelter

Postby tamarakay » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:23 pm

Google monkeyhut. Not rectangular but plenty big and playa perfect. People seem to have luck with Costco carports too. There's threads for both. Google monkeyhut eplaya and read read read
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Elliot » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:36 pm

With any style canopy, look for large diameter steel tubing. You can buy individual connectors and arrange your own design. One internet source of connectors is Yuma's in Yuma, AZ. Sizes 1 3/8 and 1 5/8 look good to me, specially the larger. These fit common chain link fence galvanized steel tubing, such as from Master Halco, available at building supply stores.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby shykat » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:43 pm

We used this place

http://www.shelsys.com/

worked for group ...
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby organizedchaos » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:45 pm

that link looks pretty awesome. we're stuck on the rectangular idea because we are going to be bringing a 24 hour mad tea party. drink at your own risk ;)
The answer is never no.
organizedchaos

Postby shykat » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:53 pm

The low peaked system we got was 20' x 20' and meant for 6' sides and 10' center. I wanted to fit my old pop camper that we converted into a kitchen under so we made the sides 8' and the center 10'.

Last year we added another 20' x 20'. We used the back 20 for our slepping area and the front 20 for the public space. worked out well.

Heavely guyed on all cornersand the middle. Teay also sell 16in rebar with a washer attached,that can be placed at every leg and attached via a bungee,for extra supoert,last year i could used only those the weather was so mild...

Alone its just a carport structure,after we went to town it and decorted it,it became awesome....
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby organizedchaos » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:00 pm

How did it go in wind? What size pipe did you use? I think i would feel most comfortable with 2" in case of heavy wind.. but I'm really looking for suggestions..
The answer is never no.
organizedchaos

Postby Bob » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:03 pm

One-inch conduit (eg the Shelter Systems stuff linked above) is fine for a small camp awning. Ten feet is a little tall to reach everything from the ground or standing on a bucket, so consider going seven or eight. Fatter tubing is better for anything taller. I set W-shaped military stakes for guy lines 3 ft out from the uprights. Can add dropcloth or mesh side curtains sloped down to the stake lines. The military stakes should be less than a buck a piece at surplus stores.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby shykat » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:11 pm

Yeah the 1 in emt was a worry for me as well, i thought the wind would bend the emt.. I brought 8' and 10' piece of rebar to slip in the 1in emt.

I have a van and a smaller trailer as my ride there so i went with this system ,as it fit and did not wieght alot.

I would go with thicker if i had that option,but i have not had any problems with this set up.

Bob, is the expert and would listen to any advise he has to give...
shykat

Postby CornMan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:13 pm

I think the best setup would have 1 inch EMT for the canopy super structure and 1-3/8 inch top rail for the vertical legs. I have not seen any adapters anywhere. Instead, I'll look into making some braces for the legs.

The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Bob » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:26 pm

<Cough>overkill.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986