Seeking a Large White Parachute

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Seeking a Large White Parachute

Postby huggima » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:38 pm

Hey folks,
Our camp is on the hunt to find a white parachute at least 50 feet in diameter, as we're needing one to cover our 39 foot stage dome next year. Since we do projections and hang artwork on the inside, white is the only color we can use. we've been looking online at military surplus stores, but to no avail. So if anyone has one and would like to sell it, we'll be the first online to buy it off of you. Thanks!
huggima

Re: Seeking a Large White Parachute

Postby JDCookMS » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:55 pm

I don't know of any pure white ones, but there's this one, it's mainly white with a little orange and is 50'. http://go-armynavy.com/index.php/parachutes/u.s.-military-50.6-parachute.html
JDCookMS

Postby huggima » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:25 pm

Thanks. I've seen one of those before, actually it has just as much orange as it has white. I think it alternates orange with white stripes from top to bottom. So it's a backup plan, but we're still shooting for the all white kind. I appreciate it!
huggima

Postby Undecided » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Have you considered using that white stretch fabric between each triangle of the dome?
Chris (Undecided) | 2011 Dusty B'Owl | 2012 Sparklepony Express | Soundcloud
Undecided

Burning Since: 2011

Postby huggima » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:35 pm

No, I'm not familiar with that. Would that mean attaching a triangle to each piece in the dome?
huggima

Postby Undecided » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:37 pm

Do a google image search for stretch fabric. You would have to do each individual one, but it could result in a very cool look too.
Undecided

Postby Undecided » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:40 pm

Not sure if that is what you are looking for, but it could be a more low cost approach and you would still be able to project on the walls.
Undecided

Postby delle » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Poo.

My father had one when we kids were small.

I think he got rid of it tho after I was found trying to heave it up a ladder to the roof on a dare from my evil sumbitch never-did-like-me-much older brother.

So sadly today - over 40 years later - I find that my renowned naivité has just cost us a a most rocking BM accoutrement.

I'm SO sorry and ashamed!
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Are you sure you want a parachute. They are designed to catch wind...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:10 pm

Largest all-white ones I've seen are about 25 ft dia. Think they're often a flattish rather than regular spheroid, so a smaller chute might conform to the top of a larger-diameter dome. With the dust, a white chute is going to turn khaki anyway. Could stretch random light-colored spandex over the top, or between vertices on the interior for projection surfaces.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby mazatta » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:41 am

I've seen tons of pictures on here of parachute covered comes that were completely shredded within 24 hours due to wind. I can't remember if cutting holes to allow the wind to pass through was enough to prevent/delay wind damage.

Consider instead making a covering out of Tyvek house wrap. It was extremely labour-intensive, but the dome covering my friend made last year was kick ass. It stayed cool during the day and no issues when the wind picked up. You cut triangles out of the Tyvek and tape them together with Tyvek tape. It was secured to the dome by bungee cords attached to grommets that were placed around the bottom of the base of the covering. If you go this route, it will be a lot of work, but I couldn't recommend it enough for how well it turned out.

Tyvek is also white, which covers your projections requirement nicely.
mazatta

Postby Herring » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:02 am

Even if your parachute doesn't destroy itself and everything it's attached to when it gets picked up by the wind (it will, even with slits or holes) it won't ever drape flat enough or still enough for projected art. For your sanity and safety use the alternatives suggested.
"It's impossible." said pride.
"It's risky." said experience.
"It's pointless." said reason.
"Give it a try." whispered the heart.
Herring

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:02 am

Depends what visual effects are desired. I'd imagine it's for mood lighting, not to show Powerpoint slides.

Tyvek can be as noisy in the wind as cheap blue tarps.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:48 am

The biggest white chute I have ever seen was 30ft. and used by the Chinese Air Force. Surplus places sell them for just under 100 bucks. If you cant use those and need full coverage yer gona have to make something. Cant recall the name of the camp but there was a camp that had panels and projected on panels.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby huggima » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:11 pm

I appreciate all the responses. Last year we borrowed the Hookahdome's 100 foot white parachute to cover the 39 foot dome, and it worked like a charm. Unfortunately they don't want to part with it, so we're at square one looking for an alternative. Unless we got several smaller white 'chutes and attached them together before hoisting the whole thing on top of the dome, not sure if they would work or not, depending on the curvature of everything.
huggima

Postby Zolita » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:34 pm

There are about 6 parachutes available that are 30' and WHITE at the Kaplans Army Surplus store on Market. $119.xx / cash / tax included. Just bought one about an hour ago. Kathy helped me. She's super nice. They won't last. They also have several types / sizes of camo too. Here's the info:

1055 Market St
San Francisco, CA 94103
(415) 863-3486
Zolita

Return to Shelter & Camping